Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    In Paris they have motorcycles that have vacuums which can clear the dog shit from the pavements. Only for central areas I assume. Personally I would like to see all dogs have licences and £500 fines for owners who allow their dog to shit without clearing it up. I’m a dog owner and it irritates the hell out of me how much dog poo is polluting our streets and parks. 
    I agree, I’m an owner of two dogs and always pick up their poo and bin it but infuriates me when people don’t. Luckily in our village 99% of owners are responsible and for a small village we have plenty of bins around. I’d like to see dogs licensed too and the fine increased significantly.

In response to a couple of posters, actually picking up poo isn’t an issue and as long as you are careful you don’t get yourself messy.

I can see why people are tempted to leave poo by bins if the bins are not in use or removed. Ever tried driving say 50 miles with a bag of dog poo in the boot? Not fun, especially on a hot day.
    Have seen people driving around with them hanging off the back wiper, might be the solution
  • Options
    What if it isn't solid poo?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Bucket and spade.
  • Options
    Not making any poo castles out of dog shite. 
  • Options
    Our dog won’t poo anywhere other than our garden. Never goes when over the park or in a walk. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    My son drove home from work past Southend sea front, said it was absolutely heaving. Can't help but think the change in emphasis from govt. was a massive own goal. Only a matter of time before there's another spike.
    If I lived close to the beach, I too would have gone today.
    Wont go into questioning this “another spike” suggestion seeing that neither of us are knowledgeable enough to legitimately comment.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the ridiculous distance, and the need to still observe self-isolation, bizarre that people drove all the way from Leicestershire to visit Southend beach???
  • Options
    That looks to me like a Fox has been at the bin overnight. Had the same in my local park this morning 
    Nope it was definitely the scummy tourists who walked up to the bin and then threw their rubbish on the floor in front of the empty bin.

If the bin was full, then the councils should either empty them or remove them altogether.
    Some really clever and very neat foxes around here tonight.

Definitely not the work of any human. 

:-) 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Do people with a dogwalking business have to pick up the poo of five or six other people's dogs?
    If so they deserve high pay like £50 per dog per walk.
    Course they have to pick it up. However, if, like our dogs, they often go in the woods or local fields it is obviously impossible for the walker to pick it all up then. And £50 per walk? Our dog walker charges £10 an hour for one dog, £15 for two. Probably cheaper than most I’d admit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ads said:
    In Paris they have motorcycles that have vacuums which can clear the dog shit from the pavements. Only for central areas I assume. Personally I would like to see all dogs have licences and £500 fines for owners who allow their dog to shit without clearing it up. I’m a dog owner and it irritates the hell out of me how much dog poo is polluting our streets and parks. 
    I agree, I’m an owner of two dogs and always pick up their poo and bin it but infuriates me when people don’t. Luckily in our village 99% of owners are responsible and for a small village we have plenty of bins around. I’d like to see dogs licensed too and the fine increased significantly.

In response to a couple of posters, actually picking up poo isn’t an issue and as long as you are careful you don’t get yourself messy.

I can see why people are tempted to leave poo by bins if the bins are not in use or removed. Ever tried driving say 50 miles with a bag of dog poo in the boot? Not fun, especially on a hot day.
    Have seen people driving around with them hanging off the back wiper, might be the solution
    Until it rains ...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Then, in my opinion, you need to change your dogs diet.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    My son drove home from work past Southend sea front, said it was absolutely heaving. Can't help but think the change in emphasis from govt. was a massive own goal. Only a matter of time before there's another spike.
    Portobello beach near Edinburgh was also packed, and the Scottish administration haven't changed their advice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52747041
  • Options
    Let's hope the heads of waste services in the appropriate councils start earning their wages and empty the bins in Britain's tourist honey pots. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Stig said:
      The government must have known this though.

Give the UK an inch and they were always going to take a f*****g mile! It's what we do.

Notice we're not getting any stories from a struggling front line anymore. Maybe they have genuinely got this under control?

Or maybe the government want more people to catch it?
    Herd immunity does still appear to be high on their list.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    Could they not just slot another bin into the space between the two existing ones? There's less than a binful of rubbish on the ground.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Do people with a dogwalking business have to pick up the poo of five or six other people's dogs?
    We have a kennels.
    Dog poo collecting is an essential chore for two reasons.
    Firstly to check poo (make sure all is well), secondly to clean it up so the goats don’t eat it 😳.
    Its ok if the dogs eat goat poo though as there’s great stuff in it 😳😳😳😳🤣🤣🤣

I miss the dogs so much!!!!! 😩😩😩😩😩😩
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    That looks to me like a Fox has been at the bin overnight. Had the same in my local park this morning 
    Nope it was definitely the scummy tourists who walked up to the bin and then threw their rubbish on the floor in front of the empty bin.

If the bin was full, then the councils should either empty them or remove them altogether.
    Some really clever and very neat foxes around here tonight.

Definitely not the work of any human. 

:-) 
    All placed neatly. The council is clearly at fault here not the public.
    Empty the bins or get rid of them for a trial period.
    If it makes the problem worse, reintroduce them and empty them.
    It should be a simple task, not beyond the wit of the council.
    Great, we're agreed then. It's not done by fecking foxes?

I've worked alongside those responsible for the delivery of waste services for 20 years. They have finite resources that on an average day can cope with the demand, just about. In fact they do an excellent job in general and it's very well managed.

These are not average days. Not least of all because a lot of the staff are redeployed delivering support to the most vulnerable in the area, plus half the country's not working, the weather's good and they've decided to take a trip to the beach. Is it too much to ask people not to stack their rubbish up against the bins? Really, you're just being contrary for the sake of it.

How's that appreciation for our public services thing, that I was assured was definitely happening yesterday, going today then?
  • Options

Not just down here then. Many people seem to me to have made the decision any form of lockdown is over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Of course @suzisausage and I've never argued otherwise. Not sure why that's even an issue and I suspect a lot of those nobs making a mess of the beach, etc. are from not that far away at all. It's a decent drive down here from London for example and these are not overnight guests obviously. My comments weren't a dig at the "grockle" element at all if that's the way it's come across. 

That said many local authorities around the UK are still asking people to stay away. Including my own;

A BCP Council spokesman said: “We, along with our partners Dorset, have been asking people to ‘think twice’ before travelling here from elsewhere.

"We are pleased to open up local facilities so our residents can now enjoy our beautiful natural environment and return to the open spaces they love, but the message to those outside of Dorset is that we would like people not to come.”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18463531.christchurch-residents-call-monitoring-overstaying-vehicles/

• Options
    At least 50% of the people at the beaches around the country are journalists reporting on how busy it is at beaches!
  • Options
    It’s a tough one for local councils. I completely understand the “stay away” messages but there will be those who will push that back in their faces when things get back to normal and they are desperate to attract the tourist dollar. It’s not just beaches. The little public car park in Shoreham has notices up politely asking non residents to foxtrot Oscar. Personally, I wouldn’t go to a crowded beach in normal times never mind under the current circumstances as I don’t like large crowds of Joe and Joanne Public (Footie excepted). Just call me anti social but spending hours trying to park just to surround myself with thousands of others isn’t my cup of cocoa. Heading for major beaches during hot weather is a no no.  The problem at the moment is that even the usually quiet and out of the way places are heaving as people just seem to want to get out of their houses. Add that to criminally negligent (IMHO) government messaging and you have a recipe for disaster. 
    You and me both. My poor mrs loves driving to a British beach on a blazing hot day. The challenge of finding a parking space and then finding a postage stamp of a spot on the beach is something she can do on her own :lol:

I'm happy with the space of my own back garden and a short walk to my new beer pump I'm currently caning.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Course they have to pick it up. However, if, like our dogs, they often go in the woods or local fields it is obviously impossible for the walker to pick it all up then. And £50 per walk? Our dog walker charges £10 an hour for one dog, £15 for two. Probably cheaper than most I’d admit.
    My dog walker charged the same.walked the dogs for close on 16 years now. 
  • Options

Not just down here then. Many people seem to me to have made the decision any form of lockdown is over.
    The post says Southend at the top and the bottom bit says scotland

i have no doubt that there is a significant increase in people going to the beach but is that real or an old photo.

i appreciate that schools are off, people furloughed etc but that looks very busy for the second week back at work.

i might be wrong but I don’t believe everything I see on social media.
  • Options

The post says Southend at the top and the bottom bit says scotland

i have no doubt that there is a significant increase in people going to the beach but is that real or an old photo.

i appreciate that schools are off, people furloughed etc but that looks very busy for the second week back at work.

i might be wrong but I don’t believe everything I see on social media.

Scotland's the location of the lady reposting it.

I saw disgusting scenes by the waterfront in Greenhithe last night - some geezer skinny dipping in the Thames.