Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    @FishCostaFortune Boxley is brutal, completely unforgiving and whilst I am among the more tolerant motorists of cyclists attempting it I wish it was at 1am cyclists went up it! The section before the turning on the left is something dreamt up by satan 
    Yeah tell me about it. I went out very early, which would have contributed to the quietness I saw, but Boxley was at the end of my 50 miles and there was still one car that got stuck behind me as I crawled up it at 5.5mph. I can't imagine they were best to impressed.

I'm in no hurry to try it again for sure. 

• Options
    Went for a walk 15 mins up the road with the kids to feed the ducks by the river in Windsor...

was very quiet. Normally rammed with tourists - that’s a town that will be hit hard by travel quarantines
    Whole areas like Cornwall are going to hit extremely hard by all this sadly
  • Options
    Carter said:
    @FishCostaFortune Boxley is brutal, completely unforgiving and whilst I am among the more tolerant motorists of cyclists attempting it I wish it was at 1am cyclists went up it! The section before the turning on the left is something dreamt up by satan 
    I used to use Boxley Hill every day and it was very frustrating to be stuck behind a cyclist. Although it is a country lane, it has become a major link between Medway and Maidstone as other routes are normally so congested.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I used to use Boxley Hill every day and it was very frustrating to be stuck behind a cyclist. Although it is a country lane, it has become a major link between Medway and Maidstone as other routes are normally so congested.
    To be honest a lot of cars struggle to go up it at that point. 

It's an adrenaline rush like no other going down it though on a bike 

Boxley road is my default method of getting to maidstone. Occasionally a lorry will get lost and stuck and now and then a cyclist thinking they are Lance Armstrong at the height of his drug fuelled best and take it on but generally it's the best way
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    LOL Boxley Hill. That's not even worthy of the name 'hill'. There are no 'hills' down South - and I could name you five tougher challenges in Kent alone off the top of my head.

You want to see the hills up here... 
  • Options
    LOL Boxley Hill. That's not even worthy of the name 'hill'. There are no 'hills' down South - and I could name you five tougher challenges in Kent alone off the top of my head.

You want to see the hills up here... 
    I can only apologise that I don't have the Alpe d'Huez on my doorstep.

Must be great to have the opportunity to cycle around some of the toughest hills in the UK. Which have you found most difficult? 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    This is not a good time to be suffering with Hayfever. You have so much as a sniffle when out and about this summer and the death stares will probably make me lock myself inside till September.

My Dad said he will get me a T Shirt printed with 'I'VE GOT HAYFEVER. CALM DOWN'. Written on it.

I'm dreading being out and a sneezing fit comes upon me.
  • Options
    This is not a good time to be suffering with Hayfever. You have so much as a sniffle when out and about this summer and the death stares will probably make me lock myself inside till September.

My Dad said he will get me a T Shirt printed with 'I'VE GOT HAYFEVER. CALM DOWN'. Written on it.

I had my first hay fever related nose bleed yesterday, thankfully at home

Good luck not touching your face when that happens...
  • Options

I had my first hay fever related nose bleed yesterday, thankfully at home

Good luck not touching your face when that happens...
    I have hay fever and get nose bleeds. Hadn’t linked them - good to know 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The rules are a shambles now. 
    A and B share a house. A can meet C and B can meet C, but not at the same time. Where is the logic?

• Options
    DA9 said:

A further level of irony in the daily mail sending journalists and cameramen to beaches adding to the busyness and failing to spot the hypocrisy in that.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2020
    DA9 said:

A further level of irony in the daily mail sending journalists and cameramen to beaches adding to the busyness and failing to spot the hypocrisy in that.
    Daily Mail or not, they are journalists, it’s their job, even if it were during a harsher lockdown, I’m sure even the guardian has reporters out on similar remits
  • Options
    Given the state of the beaches after some of our visitors have left for home I think we can safely say lockdown has eased considerably in the last week. 

Cheers, thanks very much for coming you absolute scumbags. Somebody now has to clear your rubbish up, any piece of which could be contaminated. 
  • Options
    Given the state of the beaches after some of our visitors have left for home I think we can safely say lockdown has eased considerably in the last week. 

Cheers, thanks very much for coming you absolute scumbags. Somebody now has to clear your rubbish up, any piece of which could be contaminated. 
    Where's the angry face button when you need it? One blessing of the lockdown is that less people are using the local bus and throwing rubbish in our front garden when they get off
  • Options

That's the reality of people flocking to places like coastal resorts 

Not that this in any way excuses this piggish scummy behaviour 

The people who would normally be about to clear up after inconsiderate shitheads are not about at the moment, or to empty overflowing bins, or clear up their dogs and kids shit or to do everything that needs to be done to enable the place to remain a nice destination 

• Options
    If it's Mike Moon in charge, his 'strong strategic planning' skills have let him down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That looks to me like a Fox has been at the bin overnight. Had the same in my local park this morning 
    Possibly, or the bin was overloaded and the dude who usually empties it at this time of year isn't about 

Sea foxes are the new menace 
  • Options
    That looks to me like a Fox has been at the bin overnight. Had the same in my local park this morning 
    No mate, the bins would have been full at the end of the day so the geniuses decide to just leave it piled up by the side rather than find another bin or, you know, do what any normal, sensible, thoughtful person would do, and take it home. There were loads of other bins just like it and it does happen in the height of summer where there's just no chance of emptying then regularly enough no matter how hard the council try.

I'd remove the bins full stop, especially now, as some poor bugger now has to chase someone else's half eaten chicken meal down the road. Would anyone on here like that job at the moment? 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    No mate, the bins would have been full at the end of the day so the geniuses decide to just leave it piled up by the side rather than find another bin or, you know, do what any normal, sensible, thoughtful person would do, and take it home. There were loads of other bins just like it and it does happen in the height of summer where there's just no chance of emptying then regularly enough no matter how hard the council try.

I'd remove the bins full stop, especially now, as some poor bugger now has to chase someone else's half eaten chicken meal down the road. Would anyone on here like that job at the moment? 
    Quite a lot of people would be more than happy with a job like that at the moment or any job.

The problem with bins of that design is it only takes a few boxes and McDonalds bags for it to be full. The council need to look at bigger bins. Recycling bins are a complete waste of time as the type of people who will leave rubbish next to a bin will never comply.

CL’s resident rubbish expert.

I should add,
    one of the problems we have on my patch are local residents putting their household waste in litter bins.
  • Options

Quite a lot of people would be more than happy with a job like that at the moment or any job.

The problem with bins of that design is it only takes a few boxes and McDonalds bags for it to be full. The council need to look at bigger bins. Recycling bins are a complete waste of time as the type of people who will leave rubbish next to a bin will never comply.

CL’s resident rubbish expert.

I should add,
    one of the problems we have on my patch are local residents putting their household waste in litter bins.
    They are solar compactor bins so you can fit several times more in than conventional bins. You should have known this as a rubbish expert! 

The council need to remove the bins full stop, meaning the temptation to leave your crap piled up against it as you can't cram any more in is also removed. People will be left with the choice of taking it home or being faced with the reality they are litterers. I see a lot of families and otherwise respectable looking people piling their rubbish up for someone else to deal with when the foxes, gulls or wind spread it all over the shop when they walk off. 

Anyway, the point is that this shit wasn't happening 10 days ago...so yes, lockdown has certainly eased for some who've quickly reverted to type. 

• Options
    We don't have anything so modern as a solar compactor  :'(

Your council have cut down on litter bin collections and are prioritising dog waste bins.
    We both know what will happen if the bins are removed, people will not take it home, they will find somewhere for it.
  • Options
    This wasn't the case in Christchurch a few years back. They removed the bins from the quayside area and replaced them with signs asking people to take their rubbish home. The locals were up in arms about it (it doesn't take much for them to be up in arms about anything tbf). 

They monitored the situation and there was no increase in the volume of littering because people were forced to take it home with them and not tempted to use already full bins. Sadly, because of the political pressure that was built, they put the bins back. Result is that littering is at the same levels but they still have to empty the bins.

I think this is a policy adopted elsewhere too.

I accept that Christchurch isn't the same as Bournemouth beach but the principle remains the same. 
  • Options

Your council have cut down on litter bin collections and are prioritising dog waste bins.
    We both know what will happen if the bins are removed, people will not take it home, they will find somewhere for it.
    There are loads of "dog waste bags" left around. Where the dog bins are closed, the owners just bag up the waste and leave it for "someone else" to pick up  :#
  • Options
    Lots of takeaway boxes in there. Someone clearly happy to have people visiting again.

There's a lot of bad shit that goes on in the world, but people who can't put something in the bin and drop it on the floor instead are amongst the worst of human beings for me.

Not as bad as those that play music so that other have to hear it though. 
  • Options

There are loads of "dog waste bags" left around. Where the dog bins are closed, the owners just bag up the waste and leave it for "someone else" to pick up  :#
    The preferred method seems to be to fling it up into a tree from what I've seen.