Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull v Charlton | Sat 20 June | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Hull City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 20th June 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren England (previous games: Luton (A))

Introduction
Well these last three months have seriously thrown the expectations and anticipations out the window in the world that is Football - With various outcomes suggested, rejected and accepted it's been a period that hasn't painted the sport within the best of lights, teams have looked to their own interests without looking at the bigger picture meaning we could yet see sides go to the wall in large numbers as a result… Thankfully for Charlton we have our future in our own hands (on the pitch at least), we’ve got nine games left, each one a cup final. It begins in Yorkshire, our destiny won't be decided on the outcome of this result but everyone, on both sides, will know just what is at stake!!

The Opposition
Name: Hull City | Manager: Grant McCann
Previous Result: Charlton 2-2 Hull City

Keane Lewis-Potter isn't a household name amongst fans outside of Hull, yet his first goal was certainly a sliding doors moment in what is going to be a remarkable end to the season - Its remarkable because had the Addicks seen off the final attack then the position of these two sides would be reversed going into this crunch fixture!!

As it is, no one knows how this game will turn out… It's like the opening day of the season all over again, form has gone out the window and there have barely been any friendlies to highlight the strengths and weaknesses, even Lee Bowyer has admitted that it's a chance for either team to spring a surprise or two… For our opponents though their preparations have been hit by the fact that three key players of their own are now refusing to play, three players who could have had a strong impact on the outcome of this game - Then you’ve got Mallik Wilks, on loan from Barnsley and only allowed to play in the two fixture before 30th June, not the news you want to hear so close to the restart!!

Charlton Team News
Of course there has been plenty of noise about the three players refusing to be involved in this unique situation, it is without doubt a decision that has left a sour taste in the mouth of many Charlton fans!!

Yet here’s the where it gets interesting, so far as we’re aware; Lee Bowyer has a fully fit squad, it means there is a chance for someone to grab an opportunity they may not have had due to fitness issues or through lack of form - Everything we’ve seen from these Charlton players must almost be forgotten, everyone whether they’re a veteran within this side or new signing has a clean slate, just like that day at Wembley 13 months ago, there is an opportunity for someone to become a hero!!

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Forster-Caskey
Williams
Green | Bonne

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Pearce | Oshilaja | Doughty | Field | Aneke | Morgan | McGeady | Hemed

Prediction
From what we’ve seen in the Bundesliga this is no time to be attempting prediction - A lack of fans in grounds will all but see home advantage disappear - Like the opening day, who knows what’ll happen… One thing for sure; Bowyer has nothing to achieve by being defensive, we’re more desperate for the result, let's go up there and attack, we’ve got nothing to lose now!!

Comments

• Options
    I am really not sure about putting both Pratley and JFC in that midfield together. One of them at most, surely
  • Options
    Great to finally read a match preview again, let's bring home the 3 points!! COYR!
  • Options
    What a waste of a signing Maddison was for Hull
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I am really not sure about putting both Pratley and JFC in that midfield together. One of them at most, surely
    I agree.

Page not even in the squad?
  • Options

I think JFC and Pratley can be in the same side. Why would you think not?

They're not exactly the same type of player. JFC far more creative and more of a playmaker than Pratley.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Leuth said:
    I agree.

Page not even in the squad?
    He's not featured this season and went for Doughty ahead of him as he's got the versatility to play anywhere down that left hand side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They're not exactly the same type of player. JFC far more creative and more of a playmaker than Pratley.

You can't have two midfielders who are that slow. We'll be overrun.
  • Options
    If we gonna go with that formation I think that team is spot on, unless Field is fitter than we expect then you could argue that we starts as he’s probably our best midfielder after Cullen.

Make no mistake about it this game is massive, we get ahead of them and they could crumble they have so many on-field problems, possible the only team with more than us!  
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I think it's a good balance personally. One box to box, one playmaker and one ball-winning midfielder.

Don't think JFC is that slow tbh but I respect your opinion nonetheless.

• Options
    Feels strange to see a match preview again- thanks FA
    That 2-2 game still annoys me, should have been 3pts.
    Is Page injured again? I thought he played against Arsenal last week or was that wrong?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Four wins will keep us up imo, 3 at a push.

Philips 
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington 
    Green Cullen Pratley Williams 
    BONNE Hemed 

• Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 

God I've missed posting the above. 

Thanks for doing this again FA.

As for the game itself I have absolutely no idea what to expect. 
    But in Bowyer we trust. 
    1.1 Draw played in front of a sellout crowd.
    Nabyown goal followed by an equaliser from someone. 
  • Options
    Feels strange to see a match preview again- thanks FA
    That 2-2 game still annoys me, should have been 3pts.
    Is Page injured again? I thought he played against Arsenal last week or was that wrong?
    So far as Im aware we dont have anyone injured going into this game

Unfortunately it looks like there is only going to be one or two players missing out on the matchday squad watch with the increase to nine subs

Wont be surprised if its Lewis (be delighted if he is involved) given his lack of match fitness these last 18-months
  • Options
    I don't know about JFC, I think he'd started to look a bit lost in midfield. I know he hadn't been back long but he looked a hell of a lot more comfortable haring up and down the line at LWB than he has at CM in recent times. Maybe his confidence is back up now there's been a lay-off but I'm not sure about him in midfield. I'd like to see Bowyer use wingers against Hull just because they won't be expecting it and one up front might get the best out of Hemed and see Green and McGeady be played in their proper positions.
    We've got some good players in this squad. Williams, Cullen and Field are midfielders most teams in our division would take and we know our strikers are capable of scoring. We just need the defence to get it together and play like they did against Brentford and Reading earlier in the season and we can see this season out fine. I'm not sure that will happen though, so let's pray for some heroes
  • Options
    2-0 Hull.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 

Williams to get his first goal for us. 

• Options
    0-4 Haddocks eat Tigers for brunch.  
  • Options
    I think you will find there are injuries FA, LB said a couple had minor knocks but should be all right for next game. Did not say who
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Leuth said:
    Because of lack of positional awareness? JFC is our most creative midfielder (not a 10) right now. I think he has to be in the team. Pratley will help mop up when Big Josh/Eaves comes into midfield to win headers. 

I'd actually be really happy with this team. I think it's arguably our most creative in a diamond formation. This would be my first choice side at the moment (Field not being fully fit and wanting to ease Aneke back in), with Aneke being used as a super sub. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Sorry wrote the above before I saw this. JFC isn't that slow. He's a decent athlete, as is Pratley. I'd be more worried about positional discipline. I could see Cullen playing at the base with JFC and Pratley either side to give them more freedom. 

The biggest question for me around JFC is how will he look having not played much in two years?
  • Options
    Feeling optimistic about this, I'll go 0-2 away win.