Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull v Charlton | Sat 20 June | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Can't trust that site WTF??
    Absent but in the starting line up.

Tom EavesReece BurkeJordy de WijsJosh Bowler and James Scott are all absent, but Mallik Wilks' loan from Barnsley has been extended and he is available.

Hull City possible starting lineup:

Long; Pennington, Wijs, Burke, Fleming; Wilks, Stewart, Lopes, Bowler; Toral; Eaves

• Options
    Leko isnt even with us anymore !!!

And I'm sure we would have heard if McGeady had gone back. 

Click bait at its worst.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Phillips

Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr

Matthews, Cullen, Pratley, Williams, Doughty

Green, Bonne . 
    @wmcf123
    Quick attacking side, not sure how well it'll work defensively
    You’ve got 5 defenders in there.  Pratley and Cullen can sit, allowing JW and the strikers to press high.  
  • Options
    If Bowyer is sating Aneke is looking good in training, he has to start him surely!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Phillips

Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr

Green, Bonne . 
    I like it.
    I think it lacks creativity. We saw this before the break but with Taylor. For games away to the likes of Leeds I'm for it. But Hull are a relegation threatened side and we need to go and try to win. Cullen and Pratley in central midfield don't offer enough creativity. It allows their two holding players (Stewart and Lopes or whomever) to focus on Williams, and then leaves the two forwards isolated. 

I think this is how it will actually look most of the time:
    ...........................Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce(C) Sarr Doughty
    .......................Cullen Pratley
    ..........................Williams
    ......................Green Bonne

And going on past performances, it creates a "broken team" in which the front three are isolated from the rest, and we've not shown ourselves to be good enough in possession to build through midfield playing to feet. I think a 4-4-2 Diamond and JFC help us with both of those things. 
    You make very good points and that is how we are likely to be a lot of the time when we don’t have the ball. However, what this formation does allow when we have the ball is Matthews and Doughty to push high and be the wide men, it allows Sarr to venture into midfield and because you still have Lockyer and Pearce, Pratley will be the protector whilst Cullen and Williams can get forward. It’s not the best approach, and personally isn’t the approach I would take with this game, hence my preview on the first page. But this way does have its benefits, including 3 centre backs who is likely going to have to deal with at least one of Eaves and Magennis.

The fact we have the ability to make 5 subs now means we could see a lot of changes tactically to suit the personnel we are directly up against. If Hull were to play both Eaves and Magennis, I wouldn’t like to see us play a back 4 as that’s asking a lot for the centre backs to win the first ball. 
    Good point about if they go to two up front. I thought they'd played mostly 4-2-3-1, but you also bring up a good point that with five subs you can now see a lot more in game transitions in tactics. 

I think the three at the back will be how Bowyer lines up, it's just not the way I'd go. Especially if they start with just one up front, neither Magennis (who will definitely score against us) or Eaves have shown themselves prolific enough at this level to warrant three CBs.

The reason why I'd start Pratley is if they do start with two 9s we can go to three at the back with JFC and Cullen in midfield, and Williams in front of them. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Phillips

Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr

Green, Bonne . 
    I like it.
    I think it lacks creativity. We saw this before the break but with Taylor. For games away to the likes of Leeds I'm for it. But Hull are a relegation threatened side and we need to go and try to win. Cullen and Pratley in central midfield don't offer enough creativity. It allows their two holding players (Stewart and Lopes or whomever) to focus on Williams, and then leaves the two forwards isolated. 

And going on past performances, it creates a "broken team" in which the front three are isolated from the rest, and we've not shown ourselves to be good enough in possession to build through midfield playing to feet. I think a 4-4-2 Diamond and JFC help us with both of those things. 
    You make very good points and that is how we are likely to be a lot of the time when we don’t have the ball. However, what this formation does allow when we have the ball is Matthews and Doughty to push high and be the wide men, it allows Sarr to venture into midfield and because you still have Lockyer and Pearce, Pratley will be the protector whilst Cullen and Williams can get forward. It’s not the best approach, and personally isn’t the approach I would take with this game, hence my preview on the first page. But this way does have its benefits, including 3 centre backs who is likely going to have to deal with at least one of Eaves and Magennis.

The fact we have the ability to make 5 subs now means we could see a lot of changes tactically to suit the personnel we are directly up against. If Hull were to play both Eaves and Magennis, I wouldn’t like to see us play a back 4 as that’s asking a lot for the centre backs to win the first ball. 
    Good point about if they go to two up front. I thought they'd played mostly 4-2-3-1, but you also bring up a good point that with five subs you can now see a lot more in game transitions in tactics. 

I think the three at the back will be how Bowyer lines up, it's just not the way I'd go. Especially if they start with just one up front, neither Magennis (who will definitely score against us) or Eaves have shown themselves prolific enough at this level to warrant three CBs.

The reason why I'd start Pratley is if they do start with two 9s we can go to three at the back with JFC and Cullen in midfield, and Williams in front of them. 
    Lots of calls for JFC and Page on here .  I love Jake but when did he last play in central midfield for us ?  2 years ago ? 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Leuth said:

I think JFC and Pratley can be in the same side. Why would you think not?

They're not exactly the same type of player. JFC far more creative and more of a playmaker than Pratley.

You can't have two midfielders who are that slow. We'll be overrun.

I think it's a good balance personally. One box to box, one playmaker and one ball-winning midfielder.

Don't think JFC is that slow tbh but I respect your opinion nonetheless.

Assuming you mean JFC. It’s all well and good being box to box but I’d rather they got from one box to the other I less then 5 minutes.

Lets not forget everything we saw before lockdown. JFC looked shot in midfield. Players haven’t all of a sudden become different people in three months.

Need a more mobile option as we will get overrun.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    The most important game of the run in IMO. If we beat them and go above them I think they'll stay there. Huge huge huge game. I have no idea how it'll go.
    Completely agree.  To me this is the key game of the remaining 9.  Win it and I'm sure we'll be safe as it will greatly improve confidence, self-belief and team morale.  Lose it and I think we're are on our way back to L1... :/
  • Options
    If Charlton appear to be the most attacking aggressive side in the 1st 5-10 mins and we don't score.

Then....it's just another day at the office, it's to hull and back.

We will probably end up losing 2 or 3-0

We should just play our game. Have our heads screwed on. Play with confidence and awareness.

The players are probably a lot more relieved and calm.

They got paid. We have a new owner.

We have things to fight for.

Now let's stay in this f*cking league!

Be our heroes!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Phillips

Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr

Green, Bonne . 
    @wmcf123
    Quick attacking side, not sure how well it'll work defensively
     Love this! Horrible defensively. But fuck it lets go all out. 

We have to get the top 2 as much service as possible (just realised thats quite obvious😂) 
  • Options
    Could we stick pratley at the back, lockyer bench and bring in another midfielder? 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Phillips

Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr

Green, Bonne . 
    I like it.

Lots of calls for JFC and Page on here .  I love Jake but when did he last play in central midfield for us ?  2 years ago ? 
    I remember he came on against Barnsley there and looked absolutely lost. Had a bit of a nervy ending because we lost any drive in central midfield. That wasn't long after he came back though so hopefully he'll have sped up a bit, or at least lockdown will have brought everyone else to his level of preparedness
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    That confirms the players will be staying in a hotel before the game, I wonder how they'll travel up.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    That confirms the players will be staying in a hotel before the game, I wonder how they'll travel up.
    Surely by coach if they've all tested as Covid free?
  • Options
                                                                                               Phillips
                                                                      Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Purrington
                                                                                               Pratley
                                                                                         Cullen  I Field 
                                                                                               Williams
                                                                                        Bonne   I  Aneke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My view is that it's 3 from 4. The teams above Hull all have enough and I just cannot see them going down.
    I am different to others on here. Tomorrow is an absolute 100% not lose, rather than a must win.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
                                                                                               Phillips
                                                                                               Pratley
                                                                                         Cullen  I Field 
                                                                                               Williams
                                                                                        Bonne   I  Aneke
    oYou may have more insight than I do but it doesn't sound like Field is fit enough. Out for months and maybe a week or two behind the others' in training time. I also think he'd play at the base with Pratley on the left.

I also worry about a midfield of Field, Pratley, and Cullen. No one in there who is a natural and consistent creator, all three are defensive enough to play at the base of the diamond. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    2121 said:
    Could we stick pratley at the back, lockyer bench and bring in another midfielder? 
    Hang on... you would play an experienced midfielder out of position, albeit done relatively well as a centre back in the past, to drop arguably our best/most consistent centre back, to bring in another midfielder?

I’d suggest we play players in their best positions, get as many leaders on the pitch as possible (Lockyer and Pratley are exactly that) and go out and get the 3 points. To me, it makes no sense at all putting square pegs in round holes, especially in a game like tomorrow.
    Sorry, i meant to say pearce. Apologies to all x

i think partley can do a job there and bring the ball out, gives space for someone like field if fit and i havent been toonsure on pearce this season 
  • Options
    Tbh if it was up to me id stick sarr up front so prob best to ignore 😂
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Redhenry said:
                                                                                               Phillips
                                                                                               Pratley
                                                                                         Cullen  I Field 
                                                                                               Williams
                                                                                        Bonne   I  Aneke
    oYou may have more insight than I do but it doesn't sound like Field is fit enough. Out for months and maybe a week or two behind the others' in training time. I also think he'd play at the base with Pratley on the left.

I also worry about a midfield of Field, Pratley, and Cullen. No one in there who is a natural and consistent creator, all three are defensive enough to play at the base of the diamond. 
    3 up front should balance that IMO.

I think I read somewhere (on one of their fans sites I think), that they are missing a right back so a will be playing someone out of position or a kid.
    A standard 4-4-2 may suit that situation with Williams taking him on. Will probably pull the CH out of position and could leave gaps.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Phillips

Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr

Green, Bonne . 
    I like it.

A very good point regarding JFC. For me, this is a different season basically. We've had longer than a pre-season off. So I think for most players, they're basically starting from scratch. Injuries have kept JFC out for almost two years, but he did look decent in the fall once he was able to build up some fitness. I'm hoping the same happens here.

I'm less bullish on Page. He's been out far longer and been out of regular training far longer. I also think absence makes the heart grow fonder with him, as I'd have him third choice LB behind Purrington and Doughty. 

But in short my answer is this is basically a new season and players will be starting from a completely different fitness point to where they left off.

Just under 24 hours until kick off. 
  • Options
    Sod it - we are staying up.
  • Options
    If I was Hull, I'd go direct and play Eaves and Magennis up front together, trying to score from set pieces as defensively we can be vulnerable from them. I think Pearce will be important tomorrow, as Hull won't be playing silky football