Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League table talk

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    https://twitter.com/experimental361/status/1282617740319219712?s=21

With three rounds of fixtures to go, there still isn't a single Championship club mathematically guaranteed to be in the division next season.

(although that's ignoring the impact of Wigan's as-yet-unapplied points deduction)

A rare season, unbelievable there’s this much to play for with 3 games remaining. 
    Yup
  • Options
    Big big night of football Tuesday evening a win for Luton and Hull and our backs would really be up against the wall.Seeing those sides play one another this coming Saturday.
    On Wedsneday Birmingham v Charlton hard place to go at the best of times and with our lack of goals from our front men things not looking good.

Also the little matter of Wigan on Saturday..By 3pm 18thjuly we could be at best looking to beat Leeds at Elland Road to stay up.

Barnsley,Charlton,Huddersfield my bottom three.

I'm assuming you think Wigan's deduction will be overturned then?

If Hull win on Tuesday, that leaves Wigan on 42 with the deduction (as they play each other) . So you have them overtaking Huddersfield with 2 games left, who are already on 47?

Also, you have both Hull and Luton surviving, even though they're both currently in the relegation zone and both still have to play each other? 

I'm not looking at this with rose-tinted glasses, and I'm very much 50:50 on whether I think we will survive, but for me you have to have one of Hull, Luton or Wigan in the bottom 3 just based on the fact that 2/3 are already there (deduction or no deduction) and they face one another. 
    No i do not think Wigans deduction we be overturned.......but i think Wigan stand abetter chance than us at staying up......if we get a winner in our remaining games it will not come from a forward.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    https://twitter.com/experimental361/status/1282617740319219712?s=21

With three rounds of fixtures to go, there still isn't a single Championship club mathematically guaranteed to be in the division next season.

(although that's ignoring the impact of Wigan's as-yet-unapplied points deduction)

A rare season, unbelievable there’s this much to play for with 3 games remaining. 
    Yup
    Which makes unweighted PPG even more of a scandal in the other leagues (and nearly ours).  Interesting how the probability still has us in 22nd place with the same amount of likelihood as Hull, who are actually in that position and have others in the relegation zone to play.  
  • Options
    If PPG had happened, what would have happened with Wigan and possibly Weds, I assume they would have the points deducted next season
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    If PPG had happened, what would have happened with Wigan and possibly Weds, I assume they would have the points deducted next season
    If they had ended the season then yes.

Unless Barnsley Threatened legal action and this resulted in the EFL deciding not to formally close the season until the Sheffield Wednesday hearing had been concluded. Unlikely IMO.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Presumably Wigan would have started next season on -12. 

Wednesday more complicated as they'd already been charged, so the offence surely would have had to have a definite answer this season, whether that was a deduction, fine, innocence. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Wednesday more complicated as they'd already been charged, so the offence surely would have had to have a definite answer this season, whether that was a deduction, fine, innocence. 
    It is impossible for us to know.  I am not even convinced Wednesdays (appropriate) punishment will be dished out this term.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

It is impossible for us to know.  I am not even convinced Wednesdays (appropriate) punishment will be dished out at all
  • Options
    Of course the Birmingham game is important but even if we lose i still think we will survive if we beat Wigan on Saturday. They can't then beat us (providing the 12 point deduction stands of course) and i think 49 points will at worst keep us up on Goal difference. Anybody's guess on how it will end up but i like Luton's chances of surviving with their last 3 games so my 3 to go down are Barnsley, Hull & Wigan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    philcafc said:
    Of course the Birmingham game is important but even if we lose i still think we will survive if we beat Wigan on Saturday. They can't then beat us (providing the 12 point deduction stands of course) and i think 49 points will at worst keep us up on Goal difference. Anybody's guess on how it will end up but i like Luton's chances of surviving with their last 3 games so my 3 to go down are Barnsley, Hull & Wigan.
    That's a huge if though if we can't beat Birmingham
  • Options
    I'd rate our chances of beating Brum as being far higher than us beating Wigan, a better side in good form

Also we have an additional day's rest when  compared to Brum whereas Wigan will have had an additional day's rest to us
  • Options
    I know there's only been two, but since this is the first midweek since the restart where we are playing on the Wednesday I wonder how knowing the shape of the table before we kick off will affect anything. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    I know there's only been two, but since this is the first midweek since the restart where we are playing on the Wednesday I wonder how knowing the shape of the table before we kick off will affect anything. 
    We do better when its clear whats needed of us... take the performances prior to Hull for example and then the performance against them

People will scoff because its clear what was needed of us when we faced Reading but its even more clearer when everyone else has played
  • Options
    First time since the restart that I’m genuinely worried about survival. Can’t see a win against Brum but hoping bows pulls it out of the bag
  • Options
    ross1 said:

It is impossible for us to know.  I am not even convinced Wednesdays (appropriate) punishment will be dished out this term.
    Starting to think this too. They've left it so late now and then there will probably be an appeal.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
  • Options
    What results do we want tonight then? 
  • Options
    jams said:
    Wigan to beat Hull... Wigan I feel needed four points from their four games prior to Fulham on the last day to recover the 12-pt deduction, the Barnsley draw scuppered that, failure to win tonight and I think they're gone

Luton to draw with QPR... Of course a win for the away team is the best result but they've been awful and dont see it happening

Sheffield Wednesday to beat Huddersfield, even if the former are given a points deduction I still think they're too strong a side and would get out of the bottom three anyway, Huddersfield on the other hand will surely be safe with a win now
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I want to see

Tonight -

Wins for

West Brom
    Reading
    Cardiff
    QPR
    Blackburn

Draws for

Wednesday/Hudds 
    Wigan/Hull

Tomorrow -

Wins:
    Brentford
    Bristol City
    Charlton

Draws:

Forest/Swansea
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    philcafc said:
    Ditto.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Agree with this BUT... We'll be putting unnecessary pressure on ourselves if we do have to beat Wigan
  • Options
    brum have conceded 15 in last 5 home games - if we cant score there then deserve to go down. 
  • Options
    jams said:
    Wigan to beat Hull... Wigan I feel needed four points from their four games prior to Fulham on the last day to recover the 12-pt deduction, the Barnsley draw scuppered that, failure to win tonight and I think they're gone

Luton to draw with QPR... Of course a win for the away team is the best result but they've been awful and dont see it happening

Sheffield Wednesday to beat Huddersfield, even if the former are given a points deduction I still think they're too strong a side and would get out of the bottom three anyway, Huddersfield on the other hand will surely be safe with a win now
    Surely you want a Hull win then?
  • Options
    jams said:
    Wigan/Hull draw
    QPR win
    Reading win
    Sheff Weds/Huddersfield draw

is probably best all round for us
  • Options
    I agree, we need to win tomorrow, draw with Wigan to kill their chances off. The pressure the other way around may be unbearable and with no strikers in form, could be really disastrous. That said, if Leeds are Champs after the penultimate round, they could all be intoxicated and we will continue our hoodoo over them.
  • Options
    jams said:

Sorry I worded that really badly as I always do

I think Wigan are gone now, they needed the 12-pts from these four game prior to the Fulham game... Because of the Barnsley draw I think they are gone

If Hull lose and we win tomorrow then thats them both four behind us, think anything other than a Hull win tonight dooms both Wigan and Hull

Barnsley I'm afraid are down, Saturday against Wigan was their last real hope of closing the gap enough to pinch a win - Of course we suddenly cant rule out Luton, I was a bit dismissive of them last week but regretting that a little bit now... Worst case tomorrow we draw which puts us above Middlesbrough and Huddersfield (I hope) meaning we just have to match their results for two games
  • Options
    jams said:

I think Wigan are gone now, they needed the 12-pts from these four game prior to the Fulham game... Because of the Barnsley draw I think they are gone

If Hull lose and we win tomorrow then thats them both four behind us, think anything other than a Hull win tonight dooms both Wigan and Hull

Barnsley I'm afraid are down, Saturday against Wigan was their last real hope of closing the gap enough to pinch a win - Of course we suddenly cant rule out Luton, I was a bit dismissive of them last week but regretting that a little bit now... Worst case tomorrow we draw which puts us above Middlesbrough and Huddersfield (I hope) meaning we just have to match their results for two games
    If Wigan beat Hull and us, they'll be on net 48 points before Fulham, so still with a great chance of staying up especially if we don't win tomorrow as their GD is good

Even if we beat Brum to go onto 49, if we lose to Leeds, a draw against Fulham will mean they overtake us
  • Options
    jams said:

If Wigan beat Hull and us, they'll be on net 48 points before Fulham, so still with a great chance of staying up especially if we don't win tomorrow as their GD is good

Even if we beat Brum to go onto 49, if we lose to Leeds, a draw against Fulham will mean they overtake us
    But then will we be above Huddersfield and Middlesbrough?

Both of them have challenging fixtures: Sheff Wed | West Brom | Millwall for the former; Reading | Cardiff | Sheff Wed for the latter

I think if we can get three points tomorrow and go above those two then I think we'll stay above them
  • Options
    Probably a sign of my mental space at the moment, but I see us drawing this and losing the last two.

At the same time I expect Hull to win and both them and Wigan will be safe. 

We go down with Bowyer clinging to the bow of the ship screaming it was the refs that done us in.