Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League table talk

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Sage said:
    Beat Wigan and we stay up. Said it last week, and believe it even more now.
    I tend to agree, but only if Wigan have the 12 point deduction.
    I thought the EFL had already rejected the appeal?

From what I have just read on the internet the EFL have rejected appeal and the 12 point deduction will be deducted.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Something inside me thinks that Wigan will get out if it. Will win their next 2 & then face us. We haven't got the bottle & will lose.
    That's an about turn isn't it, I thought you was saying there's no way the points deduction couldn't happen a few days ago? 
    Even WITH a 12 point deduction, Wigan are on 53 now and only need 1 win and 2 draws to be level on points with us (and one of their games is against us).  After todays win, I can see Wigan getting deducted and still not going down, which is a hell of a feat.  
    Which was what I meant. They have been on such a good run & are not only not losing but winning most of their games. I can see them winning their next 3 & staying up. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

From what I have just read on the internet the EFL have rejected appeal and the 12 point deduction will be deducted.
    I've not read anything.
    Can you give us the link where it says the appeal has been heard and rejected, thanks?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Wigan next 3 games are v Barnsley, Hull & us.
    Sorry to say I reckon they will win  all 3.
    So as others have said above; even with a 12 point deduction they will probably survive, and deserve to.
    Fancy Hull to be the third to be relegated, the wendies richly deserve it but I have a bad feeling they are going to escape this year.
  • Options
    still above the drop 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    FiveThirtyEight say

Luton relegated 92%
    Barnsley relegated 89%
    Wigan relegated 58%
    Hull relegated 26%
    Charlton relegated 21%
  • Options
    Now that we’ve all played 5 games post-lockdown (except Leeds and Stoke), interesting to see the form table for 5 games. Only posted us and below teams. Wigan have 12 points from 5 games, Barnsley with 8 points.

Absolutely astounded that Millwall's only win was against us............
  • Options
    FiveThirtyEight say

Luton relegated 92%
    Barnsley relegated 89%
    Wigan relegated 58%
    Hull relegated 26%
    Charlton relegated 21%
    Stoke's % i guess is based on the fact they have an extra game to play, but if they don't beat Birmingham it's quite feasible they might not get another win, so not sure their % should be lower than ours.

I can't see them getting more points from these games than we will from our 4.

Their run in is:

Leeds away
    Birmingham home
    Bristol City away
    Brentford home
    Forest away
  • Options
    Birmingham should be very worried too. 10 games without a win, and just 5 wins in their last 28!

Haven't kept a clean sheet at home since October, and have conceded at least 3 goals in 8 of their last 11 home games.

Thankfully for them, (like us) their form up to October has kept them from being cut adrift at the bottom of the table.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stoke will have enough   as well as brum game that they have a chance in Bristol city have nowt to play for and forest could be secure in the play off zone come last game and Brentford may be the same as well
  • Options
    Can't rule out Sheffield Wednesday either. A 12 point deduction puts them on 40 points and probably needing at least 10 points from their last 4 games, and even that might not be enough.

Surely a decision on them has to be reached today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    Birmingham should be very worried too. 10 games without a win, and just 5 wins in their last 28!

Haven't kept a clean sheet at home since October, and have conceded at least 3 goals in 8 of their last 11 home games.

Thankfully for them, (like us) their form up to October has kept them from being cut adrift at the bottom of the table.
    Wait till next Wednesday.
  • Options

Oh great, they have just sacked their manager! Just in time for a caretaker manager ‘bounce’ when we play them next week. Unbelievable Jeff!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    In some ways, I would like Birmingham to stick five goals on Stoke on Sunday. It will mean Brum are relatively safe by the time we play them next week. Stoke have got a nasty three games after playing Birmingham with trips to Bristol City and Notts Forest and a home game with Brentford.
  • Options

You know when their next home clean sheet will be then......
  • Options
    Birmingham manager left last night.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

I've not read anything.
    Can you give us the link where it says the appeal has been heard and rejected, 
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj9jcvG6L_qAhX7UBUIHUgqAiEQFjAIegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gazettelive.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fefl-confirm-wigan-12-point-18560305&usg=AOvVaw0HjulcQhwD9Xl9lMt7hsM0
  • Options
    FiveThirtyEight say

Luton relegated 92%
    Barnsley relegated 89%
    Wigan relegated 58%
    Hull relegated 26%
    Charlton relegated 21%
    Stoke's % i guess is based on the fact they have an extra game to play, but if they don't beat Birmingham it's quite feasible they might not get another win, so not sure their % should be lower than ours.

I can't see them getting more points from these games than we will from our 4.

Their run in is:

Leeds away
    Birmingham home
    Bristol City away
    Brentford home
    Forest away
    The problem with those last four, is they'll have potentially nothing to play for apart from maybe Birmingham. Bristol City can't do anything, Brentford may be out of touch with Leeds / WBA by then & Forest will most likely have sewn up 5th place. So the latter two may be resting players ready for the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up 5 points from those five games.

After looking at the run ins again, I think we need two wins now to be sure but I can't see us getting them. Have a feeling it could come down to GD between us and Hull.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Birmingham manager left last night.
    Why can these teams never do it after they play us... hmmph
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

I've not read anything.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj9jcvG6L_qAhX7UBUIHUgqAiEQFjAIegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gazettelive.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fefl-confirm-wigan-12-point-18560305&usg=AOvVaw0HjulcQhwD9Xl9lMt7hsM0
    Sorry Redrobo, I've read this and it definitely does not say an appeal has been heard and declined. It says.

"The EFL has confirmed it will issue Wigan Athletic a 12-point deduction despite talk of a possible appeal."

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

I've not read anything.
    Sorry Redrobo, I've read this and it definitely does not say an appeal has been heard and declined. It says.

"The EFL has confirmed it will issue Wigan Athletic a 12-point deduction despite talk of a possible appeal."
    It kind of does say their appeal won't be heard. You just have to read between the lines. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

I've not read anything.

It kind of does say their appeal won't be heard. You just have to read between the lines. 
    I understand what you are both saying, but I disagree.
    I interpret that as the EFL will be deducting them 12 points and if Wigan appeal they won't win (in EFL's view).

However, Wigan have appointed a QC and will be appealing.

I anticipate the appeal being rejected, but nonetheless they will be appealing.

• Options
    Obviously they're appealing, as they have nothing to lose by doing so.

Pretty sure Sheffield Wednesday will also appeal if they're given a deduction too, anything to try and string it out.

Worst case scenario they lose the appeal and get -12 anyway.
    Best case scenario, they win the appeal.
    Next best scenario, they drag it out so long they just start next season with -12 but stay in the championship for one more season.
  • Options

& the fact that they still have to play us...🙄
  • Options
    Stoke 4-0 down at Leeds.

Moves us up one place.
  • Options
    We want 5! We want 5!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    aliwibble said:
    We want 5! We want 5!
    👍👍👍👍👍