Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League table talk

Comments

• LenGlover said:
    The EFL are a law unto themselves and they are just as likely if not more likely to defer any points penalties until next season.

For that reason I am assuming 'as they are' for both Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday and praying we can cobble together 6 or 7 points from the remaining 5 games which, if other results go our way, MIGHT be enough.

If the points penalties do happen to be imposed this season all well and good but we can't rely on it or even consider the possibility in my view. 52 points plus has to be the aim.
    The EFL have already come out & said what will happen to Wigan so unless they do a complete 180 & also go against their own rules then I cant see anything other than Wigan effectively being on 38 points as it stands currently. 
  • Fingers crossed Sheff Weds get a 12-15 point deduction this week
    The mood music is that they are getting away with it. 
  • Everyone's talking as if a 12 point deduction for Wigan is a formality. As of this morning though, the EFL's website still has them on 50 points. I don't think we should bank on a deduction or it would be there already. Besides for our own self-respect it would be nice to stay up on merit rather than by default. What's that phrase about a weighty woman warbling?  

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-championship/league-table/
  • Stig said:
    Everyone's talking as if a 12 point deduction for Wigan is a formality. As of this morning though, the EFL's website still has them on 50 points. I don't think we should bank on a deduction or it would be there already. Besides for our own self-respect it would be nice to stay up on merit rather than by default. What's that phrase about a weighty woman warbling?  

I thought the previous announcement said that the deduction occurs based on one of two scenarios. If Wigan finish outside of the bottom 3 this season, they then and only then would have 12 points deducted in the Championship. The likelihood is that this will be the case, which mathematically means they are on 38 points and fighting for their Championship status now.

The second scenario is that they go on a losing streak, finish in the bottom three, are relegated and face a -12 PT start to their campaign in League 1 next season.

As a result of not knowing the outcome of 1 and 2, the points will not be deducted until that outcome is known.

Based on Wigan being 6 points ahead of 22nd with 5 to go, most are anticipating that 1 will eventually apply and it will serve to relegate them.
  • Redrobo said:
    I think 46 points will be enough to stay up this season assuming Wigan get the points deducted.
    Possibly, although Luton and Barnsley play each other. 
  • Stig said:
    Everyone's talking as if a 12 point deduction for Wigan is a formality. As of this morning though, the EFL's website still has them on 50 points. I don't think we should bank on a deduction or it would be there already. Besides for our own self-respect it would be nice to stay up on merit rather than by default. What's that phrase about a weighty woman warbling?  

The deduction will be applied at the end of this season if they escape relegation and next season if they are relegated anyway. 

It'll happen this season.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Stig said:

The deduction will be applied at the end of this season if they escape relegation and next season if they are relegated anyway. 

It'll happen this season.
    Agree. Very, very, very unlikely that they would get relegated based on their current points tally (plus anything else they pick up over the next 5 games)

99% certain that the 12 points will be deducted after all 46 games have been played.......and they then would very likely be relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for the clarification @KentishAddick and @Pavoren007
  • Then there is the possibility that the EFL will give us a points deduction

• I do feel for them, but if Wigan don't get 12 points deducted, it will be a first for English football when a club goes into administration. It is a penalty based on fact, not an investigation and the fact is whether you go into administration or not. I can't see any way they won't get docked 12 points.

For what exactly?

It took a year from charge to hearing for Sheffield Wednesday - and that was bought forward under the threat of legal action by other clubs.

There is enough to worry about without adding extra.
  • Redrobo said:
    Then there is the possibility that the EFL will give us a points deduction

For what exactly?

It took a year from charge to hearing for Sheffield Wednesday - and that was bought forward under the threat of legal action by other clubs.

We've been under a transfer embargo which is punishment in itself! 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

For what exactly?

This. So far we haven't actually broken any rules.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

For what exactly?

This. So far we haven't actually broken any rules.
    Weirdly the EFL have done their job by stopping our crooked owners from being able to use dodgy cash to buy players!
  • Any idea when the Sheff Weds decision will be made? This season, next season? This century?
  • Rudders22 said:
    Any idea when the Sheff Weds decision will be made? This season, next season? This century?
    Lol , sometime this week according to Sky yesterday.
  • Reading Owls talk they're getting very nervy and fear the worst... Some of the comments are hilarious but they reckon the chairman would be singing from the roof tops if they were not guilty.

Gary Monk said the evidence finished last Friday but who knows on a decision BUT the season is over in two weeks which is a concern and any penalties will probably carry over to next season. Let's be honest the EFL will bottle it!
  • Sponsored links:

Is this a real possibility in that the EFL have said, or just pessimistic speculation?

Is this a real possibility in that the EFL have said, or just pessimistic speculation?
    I have no idea but I'm just reminding everyone that we are under investigation by the EFL and who knows what decisions those idiots will make

I have no idea but I'm just reminding everyone that we are under investigation by the EFL and who knows what decisions those idiots will make
    I think they suspended the investigation when we announced Nimer as well as Southall had departed.
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    I think 46 points will be enough to stay up this season assuming Wigan get the points deducted.
    You think we'll stay up even if we lose all our remaining games? No chance.
    So you think Barnsley and Luton will get more than 46. I don’t.
    I'm 99% certain Barnsley or Luton will get more than 46.
    Basically, you're saying Charlton need one point, to definitely be safe.
    I'd say you have a 10% chance of being correct.
    I am replying to you but I include all others that thought I was drinking too heavily.
    I never said we would be definitely safe, but I never thought that we will be on 46 points at the end of the season.

Do you still think Barnsley or Luton will get more than 46 points?
    Do you think I only have a 10% chance of being right?
  • I think we need 4 points from our final 4 games to ensure we stay up. I can't see Barnsley or Luton getting to 50 points
  • I think we need 4 points from our final 4 games to ensure we stay up. I can't see Barnsley or Luton getting to 50 points
    At the moment Wigan could get a maximum of 53 points, so if they get 4 wins they'd reach 50 and have a better GD than us.

If they win their next 3 games to effectively be on 47, the clash against us could be really tense, though it's also possible that Hull or Boro could also still be below us
  • edited July 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    You think we'll stay up even if we lose all our remaining games? No chance.
    So you think Barnsley and Luton will get more than 46. I don’t.
    I'm 99% certain Barnsley or Luton will get more than 46.
    Basically, you're saying Charlton need one point, to definitely be safe.
    I'd say you have a 10% chance of being correct.
    I am replying to you but I include all others that thought I was drinking too heavily.
    I never said we would be definitely safe, but I never thought that we will be on 46 points at the end of the season.

Do you still think Barnsley or Luton will get more than 46 points?
    Do you think I only have a 10% chance of being right?
    Yes, but I'd love you to be correct, because if you are, we can lose our last 4 games as we are already safe on 46.
  • Now that would be squeaky bum time.
  • I'd love it if we beat Leeds on the last day to knock them out of autos and save us...

and I don't mind them. 
    At the moment Wigan could get a maximum of 53 points, so if they get 4 wins they'd reach 50 and have a better GD than us.

If they win their next 3 games to effectively be on 47, the clash against us could be really tense, though it's also possible that Hull or Boro could also still be below us
    ……………….and don't rule out Stoke going down too. In my prediction of results for the bottom teams, I have them coming 3rd bottom (excluding Wigan for now) so it wouldn't be beyond possibility for them to finish below us too. They are 13-1 outsiders to go down at the moment.