Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League table talk

Comments

• Options
    Disastrous day for Luton, Barnsley and Wigan. Psychologically big blows. We are going to be in the scrap right until the death I think but Wigan’s 12 point deduction leaves them effectively on 38 points with five to play. Eight point behind Charlton and one goal better off at present. Looks a tall order for them. Luton two points better off and massively inferior GD. They look to me very close to being gone. Any one from us, Hull, Hudds, Boro, Barnsley and Stoke. The wild card being Sheffield Wednesday. I will be very happy if they get points deducted. 
    A terrible day for Luton, but too early to write them off as their remaining 5 fixtures look winnable. Beat Barnsley on Tuesday, they're only 3 points behind us, and depending on results tomorrow even closer to Hull and Boro
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I worry about Luton as they have easy fixtures.  Hoping their luck has run out. Before today they had scored 3 goals from their only shots on target in the previous 3 games.
  • Options
    I worry about Luton as they have easy fixtures.  Hoping their luck has run out. Before today they had scored 3 goals from their only shots on target in the previous 3 games.
    No such thing as an easy fixture in this league, especially when your bottom of the league 
  • Options
    I did not realise that Wigan players have not been paid this month, no incentive for them, especially with the points deduction
  • Options
    We really have to beat Wigan then
  • Options
    They've just been smashed 5 - 0, are bottom of the table and have the worst defence in the league - tell why they have easy fixtures? 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Get the feeling that if Wednesday get a points deduction, it won't be enough to drop them into the bottom three.

The longer the EFL take before announcing their punishment (if any) the easier it is for them to calculate what really won't be a punishment at all.
    I think the points deduction if it happens will relegate them. Absolutely no point on earth otherwise. 
  • Options
    They've just been smashed 5 - 0, are bottom of the table and have the worst defence in the league - tell why they have easy fixtures? 
    Since lockdown they beat Swansea and drew with Leeds and Preston
    Before lockdown in February they beat Brentford, Boro and Wednesday

Today's result is completely out of the blue really if you look at their form since February
  • Options
    Luton are walking up the down escalator 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bottom is tight

• Options
    Sheff wed have other issues they're players have not been paid this month either... Don't rule them getting a nice points deduction. 
  • Options
    We really have to beat Wigan then
    2 wins from reading, brum or Wigan should see us safe. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    For those who like mathematical certainty, we currently need 11 points to ensure survival.  And, before you get too worried, those points can come from our games or those of the three clubs with the lowest maximum points totals.

The 11 point target is based on the fact that Luton's maximum points total is now 55 (40 + five more wins), Barnsley can theoretically amass 56 (41 + five more wins), while Wigan could get to 53 (50 + five more wins - 12 point deduction).

So, we need 57 points to be mathematically safe ... and that target reduces as Barnsley, Luton and Wigan (currently in that order) fail to win any of their games. 

However, Barnsley play both Luton and Wigan (not at the same time) in the run-in, so those three maximum totals will not all be achievable.

Even with defeats at Brentford and against Reading, this week could see that target of 11 points reduced depending on how Luton v Barnsley pans out on Tuesday and Barnsley v Wigan on Saturday.
    I know you are talking about bring "mathematically" safe but realistically you also have to factor in goal difference. Given Barnsley's & especially Luton's are quite a bit worse than ours then on your calculations another 10 points will do. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Dave Rudd said:
    For those who like mathematical certainty, we currently need 11 points to ensure survival.  And, before you get too worried, those points can come from our games or those of the three clubs with the lowest maximum points totals.

The 11 point target is based on the fact that Luton's maximum points total is now 55 (40 + five more wins), Barnsley can theoretically amass 56 (41 + five more wins), while Wigan could get to 53 (50 + five more wins - 12 point deduction).

So, we need 57 points to be mathematically safe ... and that target reduces as Barnsley, Luton and Wigan (currently in that order) fail to win any of their games. 

However, Barnsley play both Luton and Wigan (not at the same time) in the run-in, so those three maximum totals will not all be achievable.

Even with defeats at Brentford and against Reading, this week could see that target of 11 points reduced depending on how Luton v Barnsley pans out on Tuesday and Barnsley v Wigan on Saturday.
    I know you are talking about bring "mathematically" safe but realistically you also have to factor in goal difference. Given Barnsley's & especially Luton's are quite a bit worse than ours then on your calculations another 10 points will do. 
    Correct, golfie.  But, as you rightly spotted, I am talking about mathematical certainty.

If you want realism, I reckon five or six points might do it.  But the post was "for those who like mathematical certainty".
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Of course for us to go down we only need one of those teams to go on a stonking run and overtake us, so if Barnsley beat both Luton and Wigan they'd be the threat to us, whereas if they lose both then Luton or Wigan will be the biggest danger, especially as we still have to play Wigan.
  • Options
    Are you such a dreamer,
    To put the league to rights?
    We could play Millwall at home forever,
    Where two and two always makes a five
    I'll lay down the crowdies,
    Lockdown and hide,
    July has April showers,
    And two and two always makes a five
    It's the Belgian owner's way now,
    There is no way out,
    You can scream and you can shout,
    It is too late now
  • Options
    Disastrous day for Luton, Barnsley and Wigan. Psychologically big blows. We are going to be in the scrap right until the death I think but Wigan’s 12 point deduction leaves them effectively on 38 points with five to play. Eight point behind Charlton and one goal better off at present. Looks a tall order for them. Luton two points better off and massively inferior GD. They look to me very close to being gone. Any one from us, Hull, Hudds, Boro, Barnsley and Stoke. The wild card being Sheffield Wednesday. I will be very happy if they get points deducted. 
    Wouldn't call losing away at Brentford a disaster for Wigan. Most likely expected to get nothing today, but their last 5 are all winnable given their recent form.

However if the 12 point deduction sticks, they may well have to win all 5 so the pressure will get to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need 49 points , maybe 50. Nearly there 
  • Options
    Wouldn't call losing away at Brentford a disaster for Wigan. Most likely expected to get nothing today, but their last 5 are all winnable given their recent form.

However if the 12 point deduction sticks, they may well have to win all 5 so the pressure will get to them.
    It’s not just a loss against Brentford though. It’s 3 goals against, a player sent off who’ll miss 3 games, and they had 0 shots on target.
    I'm expecting similar for us on Tuesday night.......
  • Options

It’s not just a loss against Brentford though. It’s 3 goals against, a player sent off who’ll miss 3 games, and they had 0 shots on target.
    Their GD is fine anyway, Indeed logically a team with say 60 points who then gets 12 deducted, should have a better GD than a team who only earned 48 points!
  • Options
    49 likely enough to stay up I reckon.  50 almost certain .  Beat Wigan and one other point .
  • Options
    Certainly makes for an interesting end to the season, not saying we can’t do it, just think with all we’ve had chucked at us this season, lack of budget, injuries and players refusing to pull on the shirt it would be a heck of an achievement.
  • Options
    Certainly makes for an interesting end to the season, not saying we can’t do it, just think with all we’ve had chucked at us this season, lack of budget, injuries and players refusing to pull on the shirt it would be a heck of an achievement.
    I bet most clubs will be inserting some small print in future contracts along the lines of "Contract expires on June 1st, or the 1st day of the month after the completion of the season should it be delayed"