Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• If you want to get promoted you need an out & out striker who will get you 20+ goals. 

Mendonca in 97/98
    Hunt in 99/00
    Wright-Phillips in 2011/12
    Taylor in 2018/19

All of those seasons where we got promoted our main striker got 20+ goals. You don't do it with number 10's & bits & pieces players. Until we find/buy/loan one we wont go up. It is that simple.
    Every team is chasing that player. At this level, Paddy Madden would be a decent replacement for Taylor.
  • PopIcon said:
    If you want to get promoted you need an out & out striker who will get you 20+ goals. 

Mendonca in 97/98
    Hunt in 99/00
    Wright-Phillips in 2011/12
    Taylor in 2018/19

All of those seasons where we got promoted our main striker got 20+ goals. You don't do it with number 10's & bits & pieces players. Until we find/buy/loan one we wont go up. It is that simple.
    Every team is chasing that player. At this level, Paddy Madden would be a decent replacement for Taylor.
    I didnt say it was easy. Mendonca cost c£700k 20-odd years ago & football transfers have moved on quite a bit since then. Wright-Phillips was a steal & the other 2 mentioned were both out of contract players. Sometimes you unearth a gem (like Vardy) but that is not the norm. 
  • with Marcus Maddison supplying the ammunition it would be hard not to hit double figures
  • Swisdom said:
    with Marcus Maddison supplying the ammunition it would be hard not to hit double figures
    Do you think this could be a possible signing?
  • We need the takeover goes through in time for us to be able to outbid City for Messi.

• We need the takeover goes through in time for us to be able to outbid City for Messi.

Or we could lower ourself to a couple of their displaced players like Jesus or Bernardo Silva
  • edited September 2020
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    with Marcus Maddison supplying the ammunition it would be hard not to hit double figures
    We were keen before and he's unattached.

Who knows but I would be delighted to say the least as I really rate him as a player.  As a person he is a bit of a nobhead but as a player he's excellent
    So is Luis Suarez but i'd still have him in over Bonne.

I'd imagine Bowyer won't be interested in Maddison though given he fucked us about in January, although obviously we've since discovered he couldn't have signed anyway.
  • Forgive my ignorance, but isn't signing most of these players going to be a moot point due to the restrictions imposed by the League One wage cap?
  • Sponsored links:

• Forgive my ignorance, but isn't signing most of these players going to be a moot point due to the restrictions imposed by the League One wage cap?
    No, because we have plenty of lower wage players in the current squad, so money will be available for some higher wages to those players that earn that amount. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Who knows but I would be delighted to say the least as I really rate him as a player.  As a person he is a bit of a nobhead but as a player he's excellent

I'd imagine Bowyer won't be interested in Maddison though given he fucked us about in January, although obviously we've since discovered he couldn't have signed anyway.
    Did he mess us around or did Southall get him interested under false pretences?
    No, because we have plenty of lower wage players in the current squad, so money will be available for some higher wages to those players that earn that amount. 
    I had misunderstood. I thought that players had to be paid a max £2k pw, unless already under contract at a higher weekly wage? Are the rules published?
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

As we weren't able to sign him yet went through the whole fiasco of pretending we had money and could, we're no better anyway
    I had misunderstood. I thought that players had to be paid a max £2k pw, unless already under contract at a higher weekly wage? Are the rules published?
    Nah £2 p/w is the average... So if Morgan is on £1k p/w we could potentially offer Matthews £3k p/w
    2.5m on wages. 2m could be spent on one player with 0.5m spread across the rest of the squad. It’s not 2.5k per player
    You thought the same as me. I thought it was max £2k a week for a single player and under the embargo we could only offer £1.3k a week.
    Nah £2 p/w is the average... So if Morgan is on £1k p/w we could potentially offer Matthews £3k p/w
    Once the embargo is lifted Morgan will not count towards the salary cap as he is under 21.
  • U21's don't count in the max do they?  Are quite a few of our current squad still U21?
  • Sponsored links:

You thought the same as me. I thought it was max £2k a week for a single player and under the embargo we could only offer £1.3k a week.
    As others have said its a cumulative total of £2.5m excluding U21's. Players already on contracts over £2k per week are added in as a £2k player , so if you currently had a £10k a week player , that would count as 2K per week for the cap, until the contract ran out. 

So pack the squad full of top quality  u21's and you can afford to pay good money. 
  • C’mon Thommo please help Gallen and Bowyer run free with building a decent squad. The situation is a lot better than I thought it was, particularly if reasonable funds are made available.
  • Look at our squad in L1 last time; 

Bauer, Sarr, Beilik, Cullen, Aribo, Taylor and Grant.  Pratley and Pearce 2 years younger, Phillips likely will go before this season...

We are light years away from that, we need proper quality all over the pitch.

This x 10
    Once the embargo is lifted Morgan will not count towards the salary cap as he is under 21.
    Was just using him as a random example
    As others have said its a cumulative total of £2.5m excluding U21's. Players already on contracts over £2k per week are added in as a £2k player , so if you currently had a £10k a week player , that would count as 2K per week for the cap, until the contract ran out. 

So pack the squad full of top quality  u21's and you can afford to pay good money. 
    Our existing high earners will all be classed as £2k as a result, I imagine that all the first team regulars who were with us last season will be paid more than £2k

Not sure about Gilbey and Washington, and Matthews if he re-signed presumably would count as a new signing.

I'm not sure the fines would be prohibitive anyway for the likes of us, Sunderland and Pompey. A £500k fine might be considered fair enough if we got promoted with the extra spending

And I still think there's a fair chance that the salary cap will be changed as a result of court action anyway

Donnarama
    Matthews DeLigt Pearce Davies
    Foden Havertz Gilbey
    Sancho Haaland Doherty

Looks quite good for League 1

Our existing high earners will all be classed as £2k as a result, I imagine that all the first team regulars who were with us last season will be paid more than £2k

Not sure about Gilbey and Washington, and Matthews if he re-signed presumably would count as a new signing.

I'm not sure the fines would be prohibitive anyway for the likes of us, Sunderland and Pompey. A £500k fine might be considered fair enough if we got promoted with the extra spending

And I still think there's a fair chance that the salary cap will be changed as a result of court action anyway
    Agreed. I think it'll be challenged for sure. I can't see how the EFL can have it in leagues one and two but not in the championship. 

You've got some championship clubs who have players earning more per week than entire league one squads are allowed. 
  • Look at our squad in L1 last time; 

Bauer, Sarr, Beilik, Cullen, Aribo, Taylor and Grant.  Pratley and Pearce 2 years younger, Phillips likely will go before this season...

We are light years away from that, we need proper quality all over the pitch.

This x 10
    But at the start of the season how many did we think were promotion quality?

Putting aside hindsight I would have probably only been confident of Bauer.