Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• edited August 2020
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    We could do that, what I mean is we can’t sell Phillips for say £2m and add £1m to the wage budget, we’re limited to £2.5m regardless of our income.
    Which is crazy. You could end up with a situation where Sunderland have 30k spectators every week, bring in several million in players sale, but effectively not be able to spend any of it, as the type of players commanding a decent fee would want wages they'd be forbidden to pay

If the PFA case isn't successful, I'm sure they and others will challenge this rule in the courts.
    May be an unpopular opinion but I think it's fair and needed. It balances the playing field. It stops clubs running up masses of debt trying to make it to the next level (or compete with a club the size of Sunderland). 

It is going to be a massive adjustment, though, and it couldn't come at a worse time for us. 
    The principle is but it needs to be across the leagues staggered. 

• There will be a few L2 players earning more than either 1.5k or 2k, but not many you'd hope
  • There will be a few L2 players earning more than either 1.5k or 2k, but not many you'd hope
    Bet Salford City could be one of those teams...
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    We could do that, what I mean is we can’t sell Phillips for say £2m and add £1m to the wage budget, we’re limited to £2.5m regardless of our income.
    Which is crazy. You could end up with a situation where Sunderland have 30k spectators every week, bring in several million in players sale, but effectively not be able to spend any of it, as the type of players commanding a decent fee would want wages they'd be forbidden to pay

If the PFA case isn't successful, I'm sure they and others will challenge this rule in the courts.
    May be an unpopular opinion but I think it's fair and needed. It balances the playing field. It stops clubs running up masses of debt trying to make it to the next level (or compete with a club the size of Sunderland). 

It is going to be a massive adjustment, though, and it couldn't come at a worse time for us. 
    But it also unfairly handicaps teams like Sunderland, who are being prevented from spending money they actually have

Imagine a Scottish PL where Celtic weren't able to pay any more salary than Hamilton, that would be a nonsense
  • I didn't think there was anything wrong with the existing salary cap of 60% of turnover. 

This change is going to create a lot more 'corner shop' clubs and means that the prospects of promoted clubs competing in the Championship are further diminished. It really does feel like the drawbridge is being pulled up.

The Championship clubs are due to discuss a wage cap for their clubs but vested interests will very probably prevail and I suspect that any cap will make limited inroads into the current level of wages which, in 2018/19, represented a crazy 108% of turnover. Whatever the outcome, the already big chasm between the Championship and League 1 will be further widened.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the PFA's proposed legal challenge, which is presumably based upon the cap being anti-competitive and/or a restraint of trade. The PFA certainly have the reserves to fund an action and I think they've proposed a speedy arbitration to the EFL.

In terms of our own players, why on earth would Dillon want to sign a new contract when the ownership and continued existence of the club is up in the air - besides which, we'd presumably be unable to offer him a wage increase (which he thoroughly deserves) or even the same money, given the new League 1 wage cap.

Steve Gallen has proved himself to be a bit of a miracle worker and he's going to need all his powers of persuasion to entice players to sign for £65,000 a year. That will rise to £100,000 if we can get the embargo lifted and I suppose the club can offer chunky pay rises should we gain promotion. It is one hell of an ask.

Difficult times but, at least in terms of the football side of the club, we are in the best possible hands.
  • Looks like we’ll top up the squad with loans. If/when the embargo is lifted we can spend an unlimited amount on them.
  • So the wage allowance wont really go up that much then, extra £700 per deal
  • MooMoo
    edited August 2020
    I’m sure there will be some players who are desperate for an opportunity. Up and coming players from the national league like Bonne. Or journey men squad players who will take it rather than have nothing. 
  • So the wage allowance wont really go up that much then, extra £700 per deal
    £36k pa or 54% more  that's quite a lot
  • Sponsored links:

• We are not currently on a level playing field with other league 1 clubs, which is weird, seeing as a salary cap is supposed to provide a level playing field
  • As well as the salary cap seemingly being unjust because of the disparity in clubs income, caps for leagues 1 & 2 also seem pretty pointless if the championship don't also have one.

A top league one club have to spend 2.5m but a shite championship side have no restrictions as long as they don't lose 39m over 3 years.
  • Another issue I have with the salary cap rules is the lack of notice. Yes we are in extraordinary times, but it's unprecedented to bring in such a drastic rule change in the summer for the following season, when clubs would already have made plans

Normally you'd either have a year or two to prepare OR it would be phased in to allow clubs to adjust. For example a cap of £5k a week in the 1st year, £3.5k in the second and £2k from them onwards
  • Another issue I have with the salary cap rules is the lack of notice. Yes we are in extraordinary times, but it's unprecedented to bring in such a drastic rule change in the summer for the following season, when clubs would already have made plans

Normally you'd either have a year or two to prepare OR it would be phased in to allow clubs to adjust. For example a cap of £5k a week in the 1st year, £3.5k in the second and £2k from them onwards
    The salary cap is a reaction to Covid-19 not a well thought out and executed plan.  Its sending out a clear message to L1 and L2 players (and their agents) that this is what you can expect to earn in this environment.  Upshot will be very few players moving who are in contract so it could perpetuate the problem rather than solve it as you are not going to have the ability to move people on on big contracts unless they are moving up to the championship or prem.  Id imagine Hull and Ipswich are worried about this more for that reason than the wish to sign players up on big contracts
  • Suspect that this is why Amos, JFC and Williams took up their options 
  • Was chatting to the secretary of my local Kent League club... They pay theirs players about £1,500 per game... So may be able to Nick one or two players off us!  Their average attendance is 50.
  • edited August 2020
    The cap is a huge incentive not to sell players, especially for us.

I hope we don’t sell Phillips until we have new owners. The money will disappear. Best we stick with no one is for sale.
  • ben Reeves on a free. Doubt anyone will go for him. Bad season last year. 
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:

There is fair, but this is too extreme. As suggested if the cap was £4k or something more realistic. Ultimately this new wage cap is going to make it tougher for league one/two teams, the gap at the top is going to be bigger therefore harsher for sides that fall down a divisions. 

It just seems stupid to me, players are going to be in the middle and just left in limbo because how big the gaps are. it might control the initial outlay a club has but surely this isn't going to be the answer. 
  • I think it will only be until the grounds are reopened , I think though this season if its  it is no fans and a salary cap it is a real leveler and we could see some real shocks.

Not unthinkable that the likes of us, Sunderland,  Ipswich,  really sliding down the leagues.

I think what I would say is the one thing in our favour massively is our academy,  which if the overall standard of players in the league drops due to the cap , it will allow the teams with the best academy players to really shine.
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    To add to the comment salary caps though , does anyone think being a London club is a massive disadvantage as with house prices the way they are , your not going to get much bang for your buck on 1.3k a week 
    Definitely. The same salary in Accrington goes massively further than for us or Wimbledon
  • We are not currently on a level playing field with other league 1 clubs, which is weird, seeing as a salary cap is supposed to provide a level playing field
    Thats got absolutely zero to do with the cap though, tbh we should be thankful we can sign anyone right now !
  • edited August 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    To add to the comment salary caps though , does anyone think being a London club is a massive disadvantage as with house prices the way they are , your not going to get much bang for your buck on 1.3k a week 
    Definitely. The same salary in Accrington goes massively further than for us or Wimbledon
    Unless he's extremely settled in that area with a young family surely no player is going to choose Accrington over us just because he can rent a bigger house.
  • Blucher said:
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the existing salary cap of 60% of turnover. 

This change is going to create a lot more 'corner shop' clubs and means that the prospects of promoted clubs competing in the Championship are further diminished. It really does feel like the drawbridge is being pulled up.

The Championship clubs are due to discuss a wage cap for their clubs but vested interests will very probably prevail and I suspect that any cap will make limited inroads into the current level of wages which, in 2018/19, represented a crazy 108% of turnover. Whatever the outcome, the already big chasm between the Championship and League 1 will be further widened.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the PFA's proposed legal challenge, which is presumably based upon the cap being anti-competitive and/or a restraint of trade. The PFA certainly have the reserves to fund an action and I think they've proposed a speedy arbitration to the EFL.

In terms of our own players, why on earth would Dillon want to sign a new contract when the ownership and continued existence of the club is up in the air - besides which, we'd presumably be unable to offer him a wage increase (which he thoroughly deserves) or even the same money, given the new League 1 wage cap.

Steve Gallen has proved himself to be a bit of a miracle worker and he's going to need all his powers of persuasion to entice players to sign for £65,000 a year. That will rise to £100,000 if we can get the embargo lifted and I suppose the club can offer chunky pay rises should we gain promotion. It is one hell of an ask.

Difficult times but, at least in terms of the football side of the club, we are in the best possible hands.
    Lucid analysis as always, Blucher.  Bang on the nail.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    If you have the money you could buy the house and rent it the player. There are loads of ways around the cap.
  • Redrobo said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    If you have the money you could buy the house and rent it the player. There are loads of ways around the cap.
    Clever!! We have a city apartment and a Range Rover to offer our next signing. Seriously though, could the club paying rent or a lease car be a legitimate way around the salary cap?

• Wouldn't even have to be the club technically would it?  Hypothetically, a random Danish American bloke could own the club and and also happen to own a few houses/flats couldn't they?
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Are you kidding?

They get to training for 10am and are done by 3pm they'll travel into the city.