Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The mathematics of relegation

Comments

• Options
    And off we go.

A reminder that R currently stands at 11, while R' (the theoretical number of points required to avoid relegation if the Wigan 12 point deduction is overturned) sits at 14.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    If Luton win, R drops by one point right?

(as Barnsley’s max total becomes 53 vs Luton’s 55)
  • Options
    RedRyan said:
    If Luton win, R drops by one point right?

(as Barnsley’s max total becomes 53 vs Luton’s 55)
    Correct.
  • Options
    Nothing for us at Brentford, but the Luton v Barnsley draw means that R drops to 9.

R' unaffected, but Middlesbrough might help that tomorrow night.
  • Options
    This Wigan thing being up in the air really dosent help , we need to know one way or the other ASAP.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    This Wigan thing being up in the air really dosent help , we need to know one way or the other ASAP.
    I think the EFL put a statement out tonight basically saying the appeal isn't going to work
  • Options
    Reading game Saturday is huge 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think the EFL put a statement out tonight basically saying the appeal isn't going to work
    That is what I heard. Rightly too.

Relegate SW, and give them a chance.
  • Options
    Have a feeling we may hear about the Massives and their points deduction tomorrow ... Which would be nice! 
  • Options
    Seems like although we lost tonight we "gained" on the field as both Luton & Barnsley only picked up a point each and they really need to be winning games with only 4 to go. 

Barnsley v Wigan will be an interesting one. A point apiece is most favourable but I would take a Wigan win just as long as we dont lose to them a week later. Might be academic by then as they could be already down (taking into account the 12 point deduction) but I feel we need another 4 or 5 points to be safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems like although we lost tonight we "gained" on the field as both Luton & Barnsley only picked up a point each and they really need to be winning games with only 4 to go. 

Barnsley v Wigan will be an interesting one. A point apiece is most favourable but I would take a Wigan win just as long as we dont lose to them a week later. Might be academic by then as they could be already down (taking into account the 12 point deduction) but I feel we need another 4 or 5 points to be safe.
    Definitely won’t need 4. If we went down on 49 points that would mean one of Wigan getting  Luton or Barnsley either 49 or 50 respectively. 

To get 49, Wigan need 11 points from 15. 
    To get 50, Luton need 9 from 12 and Barnsley 8. 

I can’t see Luton or Barnsley getting above 47. Wigan have been playing well but still going to be very difficult, especially under these circumstances. 

I think we stay up by avoiding defeat against Wigan, even if lose the other 3, probably on goal difference. Could be wrong but I’d bet my house that 49 keeps us up (on the condition Wigan get 12 deducted). 
  • Options
    That Luton and Barnsley result was fantastic. We'd be up against it if Barnsley had won and were sitting on 44. Now I just cannot see Bansley or Luton getting above 47/48. I'd say we need three to be sure, but if you offered me two points on the condition that one was against Wigan I'd definitely take it. 
  • Options

Definitely won’t need 4. If we went down on 49 points that would mean one of Wigan getting  Luton or Barnsley either 49 or 50 respectively. 

I can’t see Luton or Barnsley getting above 47. Wigan have been playing well but still going to be very difficult, especially under these circumstances. 

I think we stay up by avoiding defeat against Wigan, even if lose the other 3, probably on goal difference. Could be wrong but I’d bet my house that 49 keeps us up (on the condition Wigan get 12 deducted). 
    That being the case, should we not be going out now to try to win every game rather than not losing? I'm not by any means suggesting all out attack and leaving ourselves vulnerable at the back but surely picking Doughty, Williams and two up top has to be the way forward?

After all, how much easier is it to win one game as opposed to trying to draw three?
  • Options
    Too early to suggest 49 is safe, Wigan/Barnsley will be a key game as if Wigan beat QPR, Barnsley and Hull (which isn't impossible) they will have an effective 47 before they play us. And their final game is against Fulham, who by that stage may be saving themselves for the playoffs

Luton still have to play Huddersfield and Hull, both winnable, have QPR which isn't that bad a fixture and finish against Blackburn who may be on the beach. Not impossible to see them reach 50
  • Options
    Let's see what Wigan team turns up tonight???? A team of fighting for survival or a team resigned to being sold off... Big game for them. 
  • Options
    I like this thread cheers, personally think 50/51 should be enough but there are some key games. If we can win 2 of the next 3 we should be ok, or even pick up 5 points. 
  • Options
    It's a nerd fest for star loving addicks!

Agree 50 points should do it. 
  • Options
    Middlesbrough's win at Millwall sees both R numbers unchanged ... R stays at 9 and R' at 14.

Oh joy.
  • Options
    Millwall not going to do us any favours FFS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That being the case, should we not be going out now to try to win every game rather than not losing? I'm not by any means suggesting all out attack and leaving ourselves vulnerable at the back but surely picking Doughty, Williams and two up top has to be the way forward?

After all, how much easier is it to win one game as opposed to trying to draw three?
    The best way to lose a game is to go out for the draw!
  • Options
    According to my accountant... 50 points are needed.... So win and a draw please!

He also laughingly said have a bet on Birmingham to go down...always surprise team he says! 
  • Options
    According to my accountant... 50 points are needed.... So win and a draw please!

He also laughingly said have a bet on Birmingham to go down...always surprise team he says! 
    "That will be £100 for the bookkeeping, £150 for the tax return and £50 for the relegation prediction"
  • Options

"That will be £100 for the bookkeeping, £150 for the tax return and £50 for the relegation prediction"
    How'd you know his prices! 🤣 
  • Options

Clearly fictitious.  All accountants quote their prices in guineas ... the 'gentleman's denomination'.

Don't want to tempt fate but, if Hull City lose at Bristol tonight they replace Middlesbrough as the critical team in the R' scenario (the one where Wigan's 12 point deduction is overturned) and R' drops to 12.

• Options
    Who would have honestly thought that the SCUM
    would be beaten by Middlesbrough?
    now we have to get our Act  together Mr Bowyer 👍
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Dave Rudd said:

Clearly fictitious.  All accountants quote their prices in guineas ... the 'gentleman's denomination'.

Don't want to tempt fate but, if Hull City lose at Bristol tonight they replace Middlesbrough as the critical team in the R' scenario (the one where Wigan's 12 point deduction is overturned) and R' drops to 12.

It’s actually better if Hull are the R’ team as they still have to play Luton (and Wigan if they’re in contention) - one getting their max point total means the others can’t (and brings another team bottom into the bottom 3 in many scenarios)

However they have scored with their only shot on target today (following suit from Luton in previous weeks). Hopefully Bristol City can keep them at bay for the next 30 mins!
  • Options
    Bristol 2-1 80 minutes
  • Options

• Options
    Cue the hull city equalizer