Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• mendonca said:
    So he didn't have a "knock". He had been suffering heavily from Covid but we didn't declare that for some reason?
    I think as covid is an illness and not an injury, it’s the players choice if they want the information to be publicly known. 
  • edited July 2021
  • I agree but we can't deny that the detail on Gilbey, Innis and Ronnie has been a little hazy.
  • Alex Gilbey does have Covid, he tweeted that he has never felt so ill in his life.

• There seems a lot of it about in the sporting world at the moment. Several cricket teams hit, and tennis players withdrawing from the Olympics as a result of Covid. Also Newcastle had no senior goalkeeper at the weekend

Martin Dubravka is injured, and Karl Darlow tested positive for coronavirus last week. Freddie Woodman and Mark Gillespie returned negative Covid tests but have to isolate after being identified as close contacts.
  • real shame for Gilbey, this puts him way behind the rest of the squad and I had high hopes for him this season given how well he finished the last one.

Agreed. Though he showed good character and determination to bounce back last season so hopefully if it does come to that he can do it again - depends on if/how he's hit by Long Covid.
  • I wish him a full and speedy recovery from his covid infection, and good on him to let people know, and  remind us it not just old men like me who can suffer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another 3-4 weeks then.....?

And thats assuming no set backs.
  • If the club would give an approx timeline, be handy.

Difficult to call as I don’t think we’ve had anyone coming back from a serious case of covid. As there hasn’t been a muscle injury or an operation, is it purely a case of building up fitness, with contact training and ball work quickly following?

Difficult to call as I don’t think we’ve had anyone coming back from a serious case of covid. As there hasn’t been a muscle injury or an operation, is it purely a case of building up fitness, with contact training and ball work quickly following?
    Strange that it's left to the fans to guess hey? 
  • Most definitely but a plan for a key player's return can be useful and feel like openness is being promoted. 

It took Gilbey writing about covid for the club to ever admit he had covid.
  • mendonca said:
    Most definitely but a plan for a key player's return can be useful and feel like openness is being promoted. 

It took Gilbey writing about covid for the club to ever admit he had covid.
    But it's not like a hamstring injury or other common footballing injuries where we've got a load of prior examples to fall back on to inform their thinking on how long it's going to take, so they can't plan. It'll depend on how well he tolerates activity and how his recovery times afterwards are affected, and that's going to be an on-going process.  It would not surprise me if even if he's able to rejoin the squad, we end up with another Chuks situation where the medical team insist on limiting his minutes for a significant period.
  • Slightly ott replies as no 'demands' or views illustrating 'entitlement' have been aired. 

That aside, some good points made.
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Slightly ott replies as no 'demands' or views illustrating 'entitlement' have been aired

That aside, some good points made.
    Well that comes down to the effect of a person's words on the recipient of those words. And as we always have to accept in the advertising business, if someone misinterprets your carefully crafted message, it's your fault, not theirs. Always worth bearing in mind on social, especially if you get an unexpected reaction from many/a majority of recipients.
  • The club is in a no win situation if they estimate recovery times and get it wrong,the knives are out,if they say nothing the knives are out,I think we should be happy that gilbey is back in training and seems ok .I am sure there are people on here who having had this illness will confirm how hard it is to recover,let alone play professional football.
  • Rothko said:
    WSS said:
    What right do the the club have to talk about an individual’s medical history or circumstance?

And what right do we have to demand it?
    Bang on, I'm a bit bored of fans feeling entitled to knowing the in and outs of each players medical history. Same with Schwartz 
    But that's what they do with all other injuries, football isn't like other walks of life where medical history is kept confidential. We've had the full details about JFC's injury or Purrington's. Indeed Transfermarkt even lists major injuries, Jordan Henderson's goes to 2 pages

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jake-forster-caskey/verletzungen/spieler/148151
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jordan-henderson/verletzungen/spieler/61651

Nowhere else is Covid a secret. Pulisic missed Chelsea's game at the weekend with Covid, it was publicly announced. Or this detailed article about Newcastle players, 2 of which were suffering long term effects

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/12169435/newcastle-duo-jamaal-lascelles-and-allan-saint-maximin-suffering-long-term-effects-from-covid-19
  • Scoham said:
    Really enjoyed listening to this last night. Thought it was very capably put together and Alex Gilbey came across as a genuine and insightful guest.
  • Scoham said:
    Thanks for posting, that was a really interesting listen. Gilbey comes across as a very honest and sound fella.