Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    https://youtu.be/oaS6okFPL9k
    Was watching this a few weeks back and wondering why we'd seen none of this player. He is clearly good at this level, so let's hope we start to see some of it.
    At MK he was 'the main man', an awful lot of their play featured him as the fulcrum .. he has not had, and probably never will have that role with us .. another example it seems to me of a player being signed and Bowyer having no real firm idea of why he was signed and what to do with him .. brings up again the question of who is responsible for player recruitment
  • Chunes said:
    Was watching this a few weeks back and wondering why we'd seen none of this player. He is clearly good at this level, so let's hope we start to see some of it.
    At MK he was 'the main man', an awful lot of their play featured him as the fulcrum .. he has not had, and probably never will have that role with us .. another example it seems to me of a player being signed and Bowyer having no real firm idea of why he was signed and what to do with him .. brings up again the question of who is responsible for player recruitment
    Steve Gallen. 
    Bowyer tells him what he needs from a player and Gallen comes back with options. 

I can't find the interview, but was one earlier this season where Gallen confirmed it. 
  • edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Steve Gallen. 
    Bowyer tells him what he needs from a player and Gallen comes back with options. 

I can't find the interview, but was one earlier this season where Gallen confirmed it. 
    a case then perhaps of Bowyer choosing the wrong options
  • edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Steve Gallen. 

a case then perhaps of Bowyer choosing the wrong options
    Perhaps. Or perhaps it's been for the reasons covered in the article.
  • He has looked poor for us since day 1. 
    Dunno... He certainly came to us fit because he was part of the first running group shown at the Belfrey Training Camp, he hadnt played football since March

Then got a lovely assist putting a through ball for Doughty to run on to at Crewe - Doncaster I seem to recall him coming quite close to scoring when it was 0-0
  • Sounds like Gilbey second chance begins again today. Won’t hide my disappointment behind how poor I think he’s been this season, but we’ve got almost twenty matches this season, due to his contract length I expect to see him at the club next season. Surely he is would be worth playing towards the end of the season in the dead rubbers matches, instead of numerous players who won’t be here next year. 
    This x 1000000.

I've been disappointed by Gilbey but having read the article it makes sense. Any employee needs to be happy at home to be happy at work. Hopefully the housing/travelling situation has been sorted as well as the personal stuff too. Looking forward to seeing s new & invigorated Gilbey from now on. 
  • edited February 2021
    This is what I don’t get. Appleton gets a couple of MK Dons players and then turn into central parts of the team top of the league.

We get Mk Dons player of the year and both he and the team look shite.

I know this is covered on the other thread but the suggestion we simply have a load of shit players (Gilbey included) doesn’t work for me.
  • Sponsored links:

Dunno... He certainly came to us fit because he was part of the first running group shown at the Belfrey Training Camp, he hadnt played football since March

Then got a lovely assist putting a through ball for Doughty to run on to at Crewe - Doncaster I seem to recall him coming quite close to scoring when it was 0-0
    Oh yes, forgot about that assist. Just read the article, hopefully if he is feeling better now his play will be improved.
  • Chunes said:
      Really?  They set out a pretty coherent statement on them tracking him for quite awhile and felt they'd been lacking a box to box midfielder.  Both Gallen and Bowyer were pretty clear on that acquisition.

I'd argue now if Gilbey plays he has to be more conservative, sit deep and be agressive in front of the central defenders.  With Shinnie, Millar, Morgan or Jaiyesimi attacking wise we don't need bombing on, we just need to find/link them a bit quicker. But we definitely need to win secondary ball in front of the central defenders.
  • First game he played I saw some glimpses of a player. Hit the woodwork with a shot. He was playing in a MK Dons side who like to play good football and seems to have had a stable side for a while. Will give him this season to get used to his new surroundings and push on next season. 

That was a thunderous shot from just outside the box that crashed off the bar, in the last minute.

Keeper completely beaten. Very unlucky.

• Oggy Red said:
    He has looked poor for us since day 1. 

That was a thunderous shot from just outside the box that crashed off the bar, in the last minute.

Keeper completely beaten. Very unlucky.

I was thinking more of a chance that Gilbey potentially slid on to but couldnt quite reach (like Gazza against Germany in '96) or an effort that went straight into the Goalkeeper's arms

Could be wrong about them being chances that Gilbey had though as remember us having a good few opportunities before going 1-0 down
  • Hope that Alex has been okay in his own mind going by what Bowyer says on a personal level - Just because someone is good at motivating players on occasion doesnt mean they can wave a magical wand and make everything better for everyone.

After all you can only lead a horse to water

Its an area football fans in general seriously ignore with the players
    https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/brink-quitting-return-enjoyment-omar-bogle-his-journey-doncaster-rovers-and-finding-excitement-again-3132769

Doesn't sound like was the only one struggling. 
  • edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hope that Alex has been okay in his own mind going by what Bowyer says on a personal level - Just because someone is good at motivating players on occasion doesnt mean they can wave a magical wand and make everything better for everyone.

After all you can only lead a horse to water

Its an area football fans in general seriously ignore with the players
    https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/brink-quitting-return-enjoyment-omar-bogle-his-journey-doncaster-rovers-and-finding-excitement-again-3132769

Doesn't sound like was the only one struggling. 
    Doesnt surprise me with Omar given the way his head would visibly drop at times - Wonder if there are a few who need that vibe of adulation from fans yet dont voice that same desire the way you hear it from Lyle Taylor for example.

Wonder if Dylan Levitt is another who just couldn't settle down here, youngster stuck in a hotel with nothing else to do with your time - When I got made redundant in 2013 I spent time each week (for six months) working half from Stoke, half from home...the periods in Stoke were rubbish as would do the work then go back to the hotel for the evening as everyone else would go home to families etc, certainly wasnt much of a life for me and actually forgot my Mums birthday that year, I was home but the days just rolled into one

For a lot of players, being in lockdown, far from home in some cases (dont just mean the likes of Ronnie Schwartz either coming from another country) I wonder if they're just going through the motions as even they must feel that games without the fans is rubbish.

Its a bit like Pratley said the other night, normally the squad will go out for a meal which allows the players to actually relax and get to know their team mates properly... That hasnt happened this season, and will be the case for a lot of clubs, dont get me wrong am certainly not using it as a Charlton form excuse. 
  • I think Gilbey is well suited to one of the central roles in the 4-4-2 that is currently favoured. He’s seemed a bit lost when asked to play wide or in the diamond. Seems to have a good engine on him so could get around the front two and also work back defensively.

Hopefully any issues are now put to bed, and it works out for him (and us!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Whoever that is in that show reel we didn't get that bloke from MK did we?  Strange
  • "We've always been a tight group. Nigel's come in and brought us together even more." @agilbey8 and the Addicks are ready to take on Sunderland. Show your support and get your streaming pass for Saturday...
  • Didnt realise Gilbey and Washington were @ Newport at the same time

Good to hear about him travelling with the squad every week regardless of fitness etc.
  • Didnt realise Gilbey and Washington were @ Newport at the same time

Good to hear about him travelling with the squad every week regardless of fitness etc.
    He was also at Wigan with Bogle, fun fact. 
  • You can definitely start to see the player we'd hoped we had signed, he's probably not back at 100% effectiveness yet but the signs are promising.

Based on the article from Benjy I also think there's a good chance that a midfield that contains both JFC and Gilbey when fit could be a real force in League One at least.
  • Excellent article and let’s hope the other players pick out his runs in future