Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Thats a good article , even got heat maps, reckon our Benjy's after a gig on Skysports Monday night football!
  • Great article. There's also an indirect criticism of our attacking play this season, and the lack of midfield support for the strikers when Gilbey hasn't been playing!
    Washington's right though throughout the season we've always missed out on playing the 'brave' ball between the defenders when players have been running the channels - midfielders seemed too worried to make a mistake or lose possession, I remember it particularly annoying me in some of the games over winter.
  • Great article. There's also an indirect criticism of our attacking play this season, and the lack of midfield support for the strikers when Gilbey hasn't been playing!
    Perfectly valid too - a lot of the time the plan seemed to be "aim it at the big guy up front and see what happens." When said big guys are Stockley or Aneke then things DO happen luckily enough but it's a bit one dimensional. This does seem to be sometime being worked on to be fair but when you have a unit like Stockley up front the temptation to lump it still comes out occasionally.

• Gilbey pre charlton was at his best when he was driving forward with the ball in space or making runs into the box to get on the end of low crosses.    Bowyer used him more in the left side of a midfield diamond slot which doesn’t necessarily fit gilbey’s attributes as he is not a defensive minded possession midfielder. Adkins by switching to his 4231 hybrid 4141 formation and using Gilbey in a more advanced attacking midfield role more fits his skill set. 
  • So when it looked like Gilbey was hiding (as he did under Bowyer), it was basically because he was being prevented from playing his natural game and didn't know how to handle it
  • Leuth said:
    So when it looked like Gilbey was hiding (as he did under Bowyer), it was basically because he was being prevented from playing his natural game and didn't know how to handle it
    Not entirely I think. I'm fairly sure that Bowyer did say that due to various off pitch circumstances, Gilbey was having a tough time mentally as well, but managed to sort himself out somewhat.

Being out of position probably wasn't helping but it's a bit more in depth than JUST that.
  • You saying that, I do now wonder whether teams in lockdown football across the leagues have prospered more when they've had collective good mental health...you only have to look at Liverpool losing it, for example, or maybe as an even better one, Norwich have seemed a particularly happy camp for a while, even when relegated under Farke; there was no question of firing the man
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Adkins coming and have that arm round the shoulder manner about him will have helped massively. I may come under fire for saying this but I believe that Bowyer mismanaged him (along with a few others)

Form is temporary, class is permanent as they say.

I think Shinnie/Aneke could pick some of his runs up if you wanted to play him in behind to change things up.

Personally think he will be an Important player for at this point in the season and going forward. 
  • Think Adkins coming and have that arm round the shoulder manner about him will have helped massively. I may come under fire for saying this but I believe that Bowyer mismanaged him (along with a few others)

Form is temporary, class is permanent as they say.

I think Shinnie/Aneke could pick some of his runs up if you wanted to play him in behind to change things up.

Personally think he will be an Important player for at this point in the season and going forward. 
    Class in the sense of a leader and a nice guy definitely.  He looks like an athlete to me , rather than a footballer.  

• still not impressed lucky to score with terrible first touch 
  • He reminds me a bit of Steve McKenzie. Got off to a slow start, heavily criticised by some fans, but turned into a key player. Style of play also, likes to break through from midfield, can open up defences and likes to have a crack at goal.
  • “There’s only one Alex Gilbey, he used to be sh*te, now he’s alright..”
  • “There’s only one Alex Gilbey, he used to be sh*te, now he’s alright..”
    Laurie Wilson had to have a whole excellent season at right back to gain this dubious accolade .  Gilbey’s had one good game !
  • I think he has been unlucky since he joined us. He like others never really got a run of games the team earlier on this season was chopping and changing so much. Then he got injured. Some players need to bed in when joining a new club and that means giving them a run of games to try and do so. The last few games he seems to be getting better each game and it wouldnt surprise me if he was a stalwart in the team next season regardless what league we are in. 
    Although I also think Shinnie has now been unlucky as he seems to have been forgotten and didnt do much wrong so it's very difficult only being able to start 11 players lol
  • edited April 2021
    Nice interview today (Friday 23/4) with him in the Metro - seems pleased with his role and Adkins.
  • edited July 2021
    Has tweeted that he has Covid19 and has never been so ill in his life.

Get well soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame. Hopefully he makes a full and speedy recovery. I will be surprised if this isnt the first of many once things open up
  • So he didn't have a "knock". He had been suffering heavily from Covid but we didn't declare that for some reason?
  • AndyG said:
    Shame. Hopefully he makes a full and speedy recovery. I will be surprised if this isnt the first of many once things open up
    Agreed - things teams really need to think about a decent squad size this season.
  • mendonca said:
    So he didn't have a "knock". He had been suffering heavily from Covid but we didn't declare that for some reason?
    i'm sure there must be a good reason - kind of blows a hole in that WIOTOS nonsense though doesn't it? ...
  • Pretty sure having covid doesn't also prevent you having a knock 
  • jams said:
    Pretty sure having covid doesn't also prevent you having a knock 
    yeah - whats a bit of covid when u have a knock eh?
  • Hope he recovers well, going to need to do pre season again
  • edited July 2021
    Hasn’t had the vaccine?

i know you can still get it but with mild symptoms i thought. Sound alike he is suffering
  • SamB09 said:
    Hasn’t had the vaccine?

i know you can still get it but with mild symptoms i thought. Sound alike he is suffering
    He is under 30 so is likely to have only had one jab, he might have only just had it when he got it as well.