Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    With 9 on the bench and 5 subs per game looking like it’s about to be reintroduced, we might get to see a few of the players who have been injured on the bench sooner than we might’ve though.

If we’re winning, bringing them on for 10 minutes at the end would be a good option. It will also create more options for rotation, for resting players, for others to gain more minutes, like Maddison.

The size of the squad, the strength we have, we could really be one of the clubs who benefits most from this change in a period where we have so many games.

It’s great to have Gilbey back, because he seems naturally a fit lad anyway, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pretty soon if he gets through a good full week or so of training.
  • Options
    Gilby added to our midfield shouldn't be allowed ! I literally cant wait to see a full strength midfield. There are going to be some games this season when we really seriously hammer teams
  • Options
    If the vote goes through and we see a squad of 20 again, what would be the strongest 20? Not including long term injured Doughty.

I’d probably go for:

Amos, Maynard-Brewer
    Matthews, Gunter, Inniss, Famewo, Pearce, Maatsen, Purrington
    Watson, Pratley, F-Caskey, Gilbey, Shinnie, Williams, Maddison
    Aneke, Bogle, Washington, Smyth

But that is then extremely harsh on Morgan, who has been fantastic recently. You could probably take out a defender and put in Morgan if you wanted, you could argue you wouldn’t need 7 plus Pratley, and F-Caskey who could do a job at wing back.

Ultimately, we got some great options, and that doesn’t even include Oshilaja who I think once played at centre back, will surprise many, he’s a decent League One centre back.

So excited for the midfield though. Gilbey, Shinnie, and Maddison doing wonders, should create loads of chances. Even more if we get Williams in form too.
  • Options
                           Amos
    JFC.   Pratley.   Watson.   Doughty
    Morgan.  Gilbey.    Shinnie.   Williams
                    Madison.  Smyth

A team of midfielders! (And Amos).

Lol.
    It is Bowyers dream line up..... A team of midfielders..
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
                           Amos
    JFC.   Pratley.   Watson.   Doughty
    Morgan.  Gilbey.    Shinnie.   Williams
                    Madison.  Smyth

A team of midfielders! (And Amos).

Lol.
    It is Bowyers dream line up..... A team of midfielders..
    Bowyer had a dream
    To build a football team
    Whether every player was a midfielder
    Pratley at the back, Smyth in attack
    We're Charlton Athletic, and we're going to sign your midfielder
  • Options
    Will we actually play Gilbey and Shinnie together much?

We have so many midfield options that I can see plenty of rotation going on
    I hope so. Gilbey, Shinnie and Pratley/Watson would be the classic holder, box to box and creative midfielder combo in a midfield 3. I think Bowyer views 4-3-3 as our ideal line-up so that would possibly be our first choice selection. We'll definitely rotate though, I think we're really going to start to suffer with all these international postponements we've had seeing as we're already on two games a week as it is.
  • Options
    Really disappointed with how this one is working out so far. There’s clearly a decent player in there but he can’t seem to find a red shirt with any of his passes.

Still plenty of games and hopefully he can turn it around.
  • Options
    He doesn’t seem to have come back after his injury the same player.

Whether it’s just that he needs game time to get match fit and get back to the level he was at, or whether he can’t get back to the level he was at, time will tell.

Maybe he could do with a spell on the subs bench for a bit, bring him on after 60 minutes, and then take him off 20 minutes later, job done!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Reminds me of Dale Stephens 
    Indeed, but sadly without the talent on the evidence so far. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He doesn’t seem to have come back after his injury the same player.

Whether it’s just that he needs game time to get match fit and get back to the level he was at, or whether he can’t get back to the level he was at, time will tell.

Maybe he could do with a spell on the subs bench for a bit, bring him on after 60 minutes, and then take him off 20 minutes later, job done!
    Agree with this. He’s got a huge amount of talent and style, which we saw in the early games before the injury. 

He’s clearly struggling to keep up with play, hence the run of bookings he’s received since coming back in to the side. 

As you say, a spell on the bench and playing last 20 minutes is likely a better option at the moment than starting him. 
  • Options
    Have preferred Shinnie's contributions so far. Both have experienced their obligatory Charlton injuries.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Reminds me of Dale Stephens 
    Indeed, but sadly without the talent on the evidence so far. 
    Living up to the user name there I think. He looked much better before the injury, the talent is clearly in there.  He's definitely not playing very well right now but he's better than this and we've already seen proof of that.
  • Options
    Fortunate that we have a couple of injuries as otherwise he wouldn’t be getting near the first team. Would happily see Vennings ahead of him in the starting line up. 

He’s really struggling and is not pulling his weight. Hope he has big shoulders as he’s playing very badly 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Vennings?  An unproven youth player who has just been average in the few times he has made the squad. The goal is to be promoted not to develop our under 23s.  I think you are overrating our home grown.  Gilbey has been poor since coming back from injury but he has a history of being a good player and certainly if he were to be replaced it wouldn’t be vennings but rather Williams, Pratley, maatsen, Morgan(when out of quarantine) etc
  • Options
    Fortunate that we have a couple of injuries as otherwise he wouldn’t be getting near the first team. Would happily see Vennings ahead of him in the starting line up. 

He’s really struggling and is not pulling his weight. Hope he has big shoulders as he’s playing very badly 
    Agree. I’ve been quite critical of him, but he clearly had something about him when he was playing for MK Dons. You don’t just become a bad player - the injury has totally hampered his start at the club. We just a better team when he isn’t in it. It hasn’t helped him being on the left when he has played.

He is well below Maddison, Shinnie, JFC, Morgan, Watson, Pratley and Williams in the pecking order. I’d quite like to see him totally left out of the frame for the next few weeks - It’ll give him something to think about and enable him to be fully fit (because he looks well off the pace to me). I also don’t think he has benefited from Bowyers policy of rotating the team - it can be quite unsettling, particularly at a new club when you are trying to find your feet. 

All that said, he still has a big part to play for sure - it’s a long old season.
  • Options
    where was Albie yesterday
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    where was Albie yesterday
    He's self isolating after a member of his family got COVID

So dont expect to see him before the Plymouth game on Boxing Day now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Albie isolating, Shinnie injured and Pratley playing CB, our midfield resources are slightly thinner at the moment. Gilbey isn't playing well, but will get game time. If Levitt doesn't feature at all in the next 2 games, you have to assume Bowyer's given up on him!
  • Options
    With Albie isolating, Shinnie injured and Pratley playing CB, our midfield resources are slightly thinner at the moment. Gilbey isn't playing well, but will get game time. If Levitt doesn't feature at all in the next 2 games, you have to assume Bowyer's given up on him!
    Levitt - Christ,  I’d forgotten all about him. Surely he will be in his way back up north soon. 
  • Options
    He did appear very sluggish. Let's hope we see an improvement from here onwards. 
  • Options
    I don't see him as a bowyer Midfielder, despite his height he seems to be less about industry and more about dictating games from what I've seen. Very much proven at this level so I have hopes for him.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/oaS6okFPL9k
    Was watching this a few weeks back and wondering why we'd seen none of this player. He is clearly good at this level, so let's hope we start to see some of it.
  • Options
    Sounds like Gilbey second chance begins again today. Won’t hide my disappointment behind how poor I think he’s been this season, but we’ve got almost twenty matches this season, due to his contract length I expect to see him at the club next season. Surely he is would be worth playing towards the end of the season in the dead rubbers matches, instead of numerous players who won’t be here next year. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    https://youtu.be/oaS6okFPL9k
    Was watching this a few weeks back and wondering why we'd seen none of this player. He is clearly good at this level, so let's hope we start to see some of it.
    Confidence and a tricky achilles injury, also this is a highlights video afterall. 

This is his chance to step up now. Otherwise it'll be the Pratson Partnership. 
  • Options
    Gilbey's poor form was always frustrating and a little perplexing because we'd seen him doing much better at this exact level with his previous team. In fact he was looking much better before the first absence for us, so we knew he COULD do better. 

In all fairness I think it's commendable of Bowyer to acknowledge that form on the pitch doesn't just mean physical condition, and the change from the digging out of players to this is a point in the manager's favour too, for however much it's worth.