Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    RoytheBoy said:
    Let’s not forget he was Player of the year at a very successful MKD team in season 18/19.  Could it be that his performance has deteriorated due to poor players around him at Charlton? May well be a different and much better player with an experienced coach/ manager. 

I suspect that at MKD he was the main man - and they built their gameplan to play to his strengths.
    That way they got the best out of him and the team in their promotion season.

Just generally speaking now - but we laugh about 'Charltonising' players, but in many cases is it because we expect them to play an unfamiliar role or position?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Richard J said:
    I am in two minds about Gilbey. 

For context lets remember that one of his Poty awards for Mkd was in a relegated team and the other in L2 although they were promoted. 
    Did not realise one of them was in L2.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Richard J said:
    I am in two minds about Gilbey. 

For context lets remember that one of his Poty awards for Mkd was in a relegated team and the other in L2 although they were promoted. 
    Did not realise one of them was in L2.
    Indeed. Although he was also a League 1 player of the year back in 2016 with Colchester. That’s what got his move to the Championship with Wigan. Think that’s the problem, he’s just not progressed, he looked like a player who would go on to be a Championship regular. He’s a low league 1 player, will be fine as 6th choice but we can’t have him and Morgan in the same promotion winning squad. 
  • Options
    Really had high hopes when he signed but he’s just been a serial disappointment really. If we can get any kind of six figure offer for him, we should take it.

Build next season’s midfield around Dobson, JFC, Fraser, Morgan and two new faces.
  • Options
    I wonder if Gilbey maybe isn’t a great influence on his team mates.  Maybe there’s some issue behind the scenes

frustrating player as he has shown flashes but isnt consistent for me
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I wonder if Gilbey maybe isn’t a great influence on his team mates.  Maybe there’s some issue behind the scenes

Maybe, there was certainly a reason Bowyer didn't play him.. Not sure they saw eye to eye..
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Of course Gilbey is a squad player who if he plays to his potential becomes a starter. I thought there was clear evidence what a good player he can be against Norwich in the FA cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:

Maybe, there was certainly a reason Bowyer didn't play him.. Not sure they saw eye to eye..
    Possibly not but that's possibly as much on Bowyer as Gilbey. If you look at the off the field stress and struggle Gilbey has admitted to, I'm not convinced Bowyer's style of management would do anyone in that position much good.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Sage has the advantage over me as he has spoken to Alex Gilbey. I had no handle on his personality and idiosyncrasies. so far from having a straw brain which he showed with his two crazy pointless Yellow cards against Lincoln in the first half it sounds like he is a deep thinker and is analytical about his own performances. 

This won't be Ben Garner's decision ( if correct ?) because incoming managers want to see players with their own coaching eyes on the training ground and in matches and how players deal with the pressures of only being as good as your last match with many fans/critics. Ben is in the process of watching the videos of the season so will have a template of the Good, bad and ugly parts of Gilbey performances. He needs to talk one on one with Alex to find the person.

The hardest part of being a manager in 2022 is you have to cajole players you can't bully them like Ferguson or Clough did last century. 

We are learning more about the mind and insecurity with footballers. 

I can't be sure on Alex Gilbey's mindset but Chuks Aneke really does prefer to start on the bench and Corey Blackett-Taylor suffers with nerves and can be physically sick. Both Chuks and CBT can be match winners with goals from Aneke and assists from Corey.
    Aneke doesn't have confidence in his own body and the gifted two footed Blackett-Taylor has to stop his mind from marring his performance.

I said If Possible Alex would've spent time on the bench or time out the firing line after his big dip in form and especially after the Lincoln game. 

Will be interesting to see how Ben Garner deals with the various issues on and off the pitch ?

• Options
    Gilbey and Morgan playing in the same midfield was a disaster. 
    Hopefully we won't see them together again. 
    Two of Morgan's best performances in a Charlton shirt were with Gilbey. 

I think Gilbey has become the personification of the problem for many now.  Is he a cause or a symptom?

I felt last season, even more than the previous one, we had too many players (including the loans) that were happy being league 1 players.  If its true that Purrington is gone and Gilbey is set to follow thats almost all of them gone.  Maybe that will result in a change of culture.  Maybe it won't.
  • Options
    a potentially good player in poor teams and possibly dragged down to a low level allied to (what has appeared to me) uncertainty as to what is his role .. simple answer .. If he fits into the way Garner wants to play then keep him, if not, sell him
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure Gilbey is as bad as the amount of stick he gets, he always works hard for the team, but he is way to inconsistent. But I would keep him, as I think he is a good squad player, unless we have a few youngster who are ready to step up!
    Err, that's one of the problems.
    He most certainly doesn't always work hard for the team.
    Many fans said he was hiding this season.
    Whether that is down to inclination, fitness, perhaps long covid or injury problems I wouldn't know.
  • Options
    Gilbey is toilet, move him on. I'd also move Morgan on if possible and sign 3 midfielders, one to replace both of those and another to fill the need for a backup to Dobson. 
  • Options
    He does a bit of everything but nothing to an above average standard. Imagine adding up the sum of average parts..  
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure Gilbey is as bad as the amount of stick he gets, he always works hard for the team, but he is way to inconsistent. But I would keep him, as I think he is a good squad player, unless we have a few youngster who are ready to step up!
    Err, that's one of the problems.
    He most certainly doesn't always work hard for the team.
    Many fans said he was hiding this season.
    Whether that is down to inclination, fitness, perhaps long covid or injury problems I wouldn't know.
    Gilbey’s hiding wasn't a matter of not putting in the legwork, though - he did run and run, I won't deny that. But in terms of making himself available for good possession (rather than a wall-pass to Matthews, every goddamn time), or decisively winning the ball... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Gilbey is toilet, move him on. I'd also move Morgan on if possible and sign 3 midfielders, one to replace both of those and another to fill the need for a backup to Dobson. 

Very clear and concise But did you see the 6-0 thrashing of Plymouth 20/21 and Ipswich at home this last season? Only two games but how did Alex play so well in all facets of his game including hitting the back of the net.
    scored 8 average on the players Marks yet get 3's when the wheels come off? Mind, body and soul problems ? 

Replace players with better will improve the team unfortunately Grant, Taylor, Aribo, Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher, Phillips etc weren't replaced with better and whatever formation Garner plays it won't suit certain players. Because they haven't got the legs, stamina or the concentration needed and the biggest problems the talent or the consistently required. Plus injuries which has hindered every manager from Robinson to Jackson.
  • Options
    I agree that in modern times the fashion seems to be to not only pay footballers well, attend to their every need, give uncritical adulation, and handle them with kid gloves, because they are only human and all that, but how far does all that carrot have to go?
    I don’t know how bonuses work, but can’t they be structured in a way that provides a bit of a stick to beat the backsliders and moaners with?

• Options
    Chunes said:
    For me, I think the fact he's had 2-3 good games stands against him, not for him. A team needs consistent performers. Just as we need strikers who score consistently, and defenders who don't consistently make mistakes, we need midfielders who consistently turn up and run games. We can't be saying "Well he ran 2-3 games out of the last 2 seasons, must be worth keeping." 
    Tend to agree.
    Is it better to have a player like Dobson, where falling below a 7 out of ten is remarked upon, or a player where the occasional 8 is celebrated because the rest of the time they’re a 5?
  • Options
    I don't have very much time for those who justify their opinions of a player based on one or two games tbh. Even if that game was at Wembley.

My opinions on Gilbey arise from the fact I have a season ticket and finite patience 
  • Options
    Apparently Garner has been working his way through the videos of every game from last season. Will make his own mind up which players he wants to keep. 
  • Options
    Apparently Garner has been working his way through the videos of every game from last season. Will make his own mind up which players he wants to keep. 
    id imagine he is still dissecting Mk & Wycombe away. 2 of the most disgraceful performances ive ever seen.
  • Options
    In 15/16 he was Colchester's POTY, and then as we know in 18/19 and 19/20 he was MK Dons POTY twice. 

So 3 times in 5 seasons, he was POTY for a club playing at our level. He therefore absolutely can't be as bad as we've seen, so for me something is clearly wrong elsewhere.
  • Options
    Anybody think he might have watched highlights rather that full games?
  • Options
    In 15/16 he was Colchester's POTY, and then as we know in 18/19 and 19/20 he was MK Dons POTY twice. 

So 3 times in 5 seasons, he was POTY for a club playing at our level. He therefore absolutely can't be as bad as we've seen, so for me something is clearly wrong elsewhere.
    I think you can say that about a lot of them over then last 2 years. 

If you compare this to the Parkinson/Powell or the Slade/Robinson seasons squads, there were a lot of players in both that just weren't very good at all.  They did nothing before or after to suggest they were or were well past it.

I honestly don't think we had many of them lest year.