Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Morgan looks to get on the ball in the attacking third and play progressive passes. He wants the ball in dangerous areas, and he has not inconsiderable touch and vision. Yeah, he can look ineffectual for games at a time, but there's a quality footballer in there somewhere. Of course, we don't need to choose between him and Gilbey - we can choose neither. But I reckon I know who Garner is going to want more
    Remember Bowyer saying Morgan does the creative stuff but loses concentration on the defensive side of his game, forgetting to track his opponent, etc.

As we all should know, 90% of a player's game is played without the ball - if a player is not doing his off ball jobs, then a team mate has to compensate and compromise his own offball job ...... and the team shape, gameplan and overall performance suffers too.

Okay, Claus Jensen wasn't keen on the grunt side of his role either, so Curbs brought Kish in to do that for him.
    But today, that would be a luxury we can't afford.

It's no co-incidence perhaps, that there's been little demand for League clubs to take Albie on loan.

Jensen didn’t tackle but he worked he worked hard off the ball - he wouldn’t have survived in that team if he hadn’t .  

Kishishev rarely played central midfield with Jensen.  

As much as I think Morgan has talent, please don’t obliquely make comparisons with Claus !
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I think Kirk is the one that can leave.I hope so as I think Gilbey will be good in a more attacking side.
    Not a chance that Kirk would be the one who has been told he can leave. Saying that is basically saying, they can leave for next to nothing.

Kirk we may want to leave, but we'll want to recoup most of our fee.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    So far, we’ve not had a decent pre season / start to a season with Gilbey.
    Injured in his first season early doors. Covid in season two.
    id like to see him start if we can keep him fit from the beginning.
    Normally I would agree with this but Gilbey looked the fittest player in the team for 3 months. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CafcSCP said:
    So far, we’ve not had a decent pre season / start to a season with Gilbey.
    Injured in his first season early doors. Covid in season two.
    id like to see him start if we can keep him fit from the beginning.
    Normally I would agree with this but Gilbey looked the fittest player in the team for 3 months. 
    And stretching things to blame Gilbey's ineffectiveness in March and April to having Covid last August, considering that from September onwards he was in EVERY matchday squad, other than the one he was suspended for. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Morgan looks to get on the ball in the attacking third and play progressive passes. He wants the ball in dangerous areas, and he has not inconsiderable touch and vision. Yeah, he can look ineffectual for games at a time, but there's a quality footballer in there somewhere. Of course, we don't need to choose between him and Gilbey - we can choose neither. But I reckon I know who Garner is going to want more
    Remember Bowyer saying Morgan does the creative stuff but loses concentration on the defensive side of his game, forgetting to track his opponent, etc.

As we all should know, 90% of a player's game is played without the ball - if a player is not doing his off ball jobs, then a team mate has to compensate and compromise his own offball job ...... and the team shape, gameplan and overall performance suffers too.

Okay, Claus Jensen wasn't keen on the grunt side of his role either, so Curbs brought Kish in to do that for him.
    But today, that would be a luxury we can't afford.

It's no co-incidence perhaps, that there's been little demand for League clubs to take Albie on loan.

Jensen didn’t tackle but he worked he worked hard off the ball - he wouldn’t have survived in that team if he hadn’t .  

Kishishev rarely played central midfield with Jensen.  

As much as I think Morgan has talent, please don’t obliquely make comparisons with Claus !
    I didn't make it up out of thin air though. My reference to Claus Jensen was based on comments Curbs himself made on Charlton TV last season, where he specifically mentioned Kish's supporting role with Jensen.

• Options
    masicat said:
    Heard yesterday he is still expecting to leave. 
    Gillingham could be a decent club for his ability if he wants to stay local, or maybe back to Colchester - not sure what fee, if any, either could afford.  I reckon we can only be after a nominal fee if at all.  Not sure wages wise what he’s on, but league 2 is his level, so whoever can afford him really 
  • Options
    It’s imperative we keep Gilbey, we need to base all our recruitment around a system that involves him pulling the strings. In my near 50 years supporting Charlton he is without doubt the best player to have pulled on the shirt in that time. Letting him leave would be suicidal.
    Ha ! Ha! In 50years you didn't see Di Canio, Jensen, Kinsella, Scott Parker, Graham Stuart............Interesting diversity of opinion.
    I guess you're being sarky?.........
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Redrobo said:
    I think Kirk is the one that can leave.I hope so as I think Gilbey will be good in a more attacking side.
    Not a chance that Kirk would be the one who has been told he can leave. Saying that is basically saying, they can leave for next to nothing.

Kirk we may want to leave, but we'll want to recoup most of our fee.

The reality is that any of the players are free to leave.  If they get themselves a better deal elsewhere, by whatever measure they choose as 'better', they're gonna want to leave.
    Then agents and clubs sort out transfer fees, compensation, signing on fees, etc, etc
    Clubs in Charlton's position can't countenance hanging on to someone who wants to go.  Squad spots get wasted, to say nothing of the toxicity those wantaways create.
    If Garner reckons Kirk, Gilbey, Morgan, Whoever ain't gonna feature for him much then their departure will be facilitated.
    Charlton can put whatever made up bullshit 'price' on their contracted players but until you're peddling Nunez, Haaland type quality it ain't a seller's market.
    If the offer from Blackpool for example is £50k not £500k but it's the only/best one that comes in before the window closes then that's the valuation.
    Same goes with Charlton's recruitment too of course, but that's why so much business is dragged out to the last week.  Until then any notion of "this player is priced at £xxx, 000" is just noise.
    WIOTOS
  • Options
    It’s imperative we keep Gilbey, we need to base all our recruitment around a system that involves him pulling the strings. In my near 50 years supporting Charlton he is without doubt the best player to have pulled on the shirt in that time. Letting him leave would be suicidal.
    Ha ! Ha! In 50years you didn't see Di Canio, Jensen, Kinsella, Scott Parker, Graham Stuart............Interesting diversity of opinion.
    Surely you can’t genuinely be questioning whether that post is sarcasm or not????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    Surely you can’t genuinely be questioning whether that post is sarcasm or not????
    Straight over my head
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    You know what's weird about Gilbey's best runs of form for the club, they both occured with a new manager bounce.

Adkins came and he played quite well then fell off a cliff.

Jackson became caretaker and he played really well and then completely fell off a cliff.

So is it COVID coming and going, personal reasons, or is it possible he is just another one of our players who showed up when they felt in the mood?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    You know what's weird about Gilbey's best runs of form for the club, they both occured with a new manager bounce.

Jackson became caretaker and he played really well and then completely fell off a cliff.

So is it COVID coming and going, personal reasons, or is it possible he is just another one of our players who showed up when they felt in the mood?
    I think Gilbey was one of the few that came out of the Adkins start this season with any credit.  

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

I think Gilbey was one of the few that came out of the Adkins start this season with any credit.  

Didn’t Covid render him unavailable for the majority of Adkins games or am I making that up?
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Didn’t Covid render him unavailable for the majority of Adkins games or am I making that up?
    He came back for the last 5 or so games, without much training and was one of the better players.  Not a high bar admittedly. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    arny23394 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

He came back for the last 5 or so games, without much training and was one of the better players.  Not a high bar admittedly. 
    He made 3 appearances under Adkins last season, one of which was the Accrington game in which he was awful. So the point stands. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    arny23394 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

He made 3 appearances under Adkins last season, one of which was the Accrington game in which he was awful. So the point stands. 
    And the Sunderland game where he scored a goal because he took a shot that was so bad it accidentally turned into a through-ball for himself - something he could have done 50 more times and it wouldn't have happened. And a tap-in vs Plymouth. False hope indeed

EDIT: oh god I thought you meant the PREVIOUS season ffs
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    arny23394 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Like I said, not a high bar

• Options
    That game he got his one assist of the season (not counting his deflected cross to Morgan)!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I can't remember anyone playing well in that game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also AFC Wimbledon could be an option for him
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    More chance of us signing Mo Salah 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    I thought Jackson rated him
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Not sure he could with being exMkd. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    He had a spell when Jacko first took over where he was everywhere and close to being unplayable for his opposite number. That spell was sandwiched by two very long spells of him going missing in games which is something I dont ever look kindly on. The final nail for me was him blatantly getting himself sent off so he didn't have to play at plough Lane as an ex MK franchise player. Told me all I need to know about his character. Jog him on 
    Unless you’re privy to more information, that’s a pretty big leap you’ve made there. 
    Getting sent off for those two stupid tackles was unforgivable, but stating as fact that it was because he didn’t want to play at plough lane is ludicrous. Adding 2+2 and getting 5 imo.
    Probably about as ludicrous as suggesting that Danny Mills got himself sent off just so he could spend Christmas with his family?
    But Mills did and he admitted it to NLA.
    Maybe that was my point?
  • Options
    Carter said:
    He had a spell when Jacko first took over where he was everywhere and close to being unplayable for his opposite number. That spell was sandwiched by two very long spells of him going missing in games which is something I dont ever look kindly on. The final nail for me was him blatantly getting himself sent off so he didn't have to play at plough Lane as an ex MK franchise player. Told me all I need to know about his character. Jog him on 
    Unless you’re privy to more information, that’s a pretty big leap you’ve made there. 
    Getting sent off for those two stupid tackles was unforgivable, but stating as fact that it was because he didn’t want to play at plough lane is ludicrous. Adding 2+2 and getting 5 imo.
    Probably about as ludicrous as suggesting that Danny Mills got himself sent off just so he could spend Christmas with his family?
    But Mills did and he admitted it to NLA.
    Maybe that was my point?
    So you are saying Gilbey admitting to getting 2 yellows so that he couldn't play at AFC Don's

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    The most anecdotal take your will hear. But often when I went for a run, which would take me around Avery Hill Park, quiet early in the morning, I would see JJ and Gilbey doing laps. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Not sure he could with being exMkd. 
    Aah yes, forgot about that.  

Colchester may be a good bet then 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    The most anecdotal take your will hear. But often when I went for a run, which would take me around Avery Hill Park, quiet early in the morning, I would see JJ and Gilbey doing laps. 
    To me that answers why Gilbs got an easy ride after his brainless red card from the same offence.
  • Options
    I’m not saying he admitted it.