Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Straight off the line with “provided the system suits him…”
    Which means “everything else in this interview is highly subjective and may not apply at all but I’ll state it all as fact anyway…”
    It's true though isn't it? 

Both Washington and Gilbey are probably top end League 1 players in certain roles and aren't doing anything else.  I don’t think either of them are championship players and neither of them are good enough to change the way you want to play just to fit them in.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Straight off the line with “provided the system suits him…”
    Which means “everything else in this interview is highly subjective and may not apply at all but I’ll state it all as fact anyway…”
    It's true though isn't it? 

Both Washington and Gilbey are probably top end League 1 players in certain roles and aren't doing anything else.  I don’t think either of them are championship players and neither of them are good enough to change the way you want to play just to fit them in.
    It’s true yes but the likelihood of it is very different, but he shouldn’t let facts get in the way of a good soundbite.
  • Or maybe professional football people see more to a game/ player than fans. Just a thought. 

WINK stand down people 
    He will of course see the game differently and understand it much better than I do, but when he gives an article saying ‘championship player’ about a 27 year old who has spent most of his career in League One, coming off 2 poor seasons, you do wonder. 

I appreciate they are mates off the field.  But that interview sounded like he’s just going through the motions, not really thinking about what he’s saying 
  • Leuth said:
    Someone put a fucking gagging order on Washington, this is absurd 
    of course you have far greater knowledge of Gilbey's ability that a professional footballer who played in the same team 

Leuth I think it is you who is absurd
    Washington is pretty unlikely to say that his mate is a terrible footballer. 
  • Leuth said:
    of course you have far greater knowledge of Gilbey's ability that a professional footballer who played in the same team 

15,000 of us outweigh the opinion of his friend!
  • Leuth said:

What about the direction of his career? I’m not worried we’ll lose him to a Championship club, are you?

If it’s true Garner wants to move Gilbey on then that shows Washington’s view is just an opinion. And one from a friend at that.
  • cabbles said:
    Look away now @Leuth.  The air in Rotherham must be a bit funny.  This is ludicrous 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/one-of-the-best-midfielders-in-league-one-charlton-athletic-midfielder-gets-strong-backing-from-former-valley-team-mate/

I’d like London news online to put up my post where I say I think League 2 would be a good move for him, just for some balance 
    I think I trust Washington more. More knowledgeable than us and knows the player well.
    To balance that out he’s just doing a press interview and may be saying what he thinks he should say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Someone should have told them!
  • cabbles said:
    Look away now @Leuth.  The air in Rotherham must be a bit funny.  This is ludicrous 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/one-of-the-best-midfielders-in-league-one-charlton-athletic-midfielder-gets-strong-backing-from-former-valley-team-mate/

I’d like London news online to put up my post where I say I think League 2 would be a good move for him, just for some balance 
    I think I trust Washington more. More knowledgeable than us and knows the player well.
    I remember Washington getting interviewed after a game where he said Bogle is clearly a 'Championship striker' 

It was early days at the time but it was still clear Bogle looked more of a L2 striker ...which is what he now is   
  • edited June 2022
     “provided the system suits him…”  translated into bullshit free English = entitled halfwit who thinks he's way above anywhere he's ever likely to be and a selfish twat to boot.
    Even above Charlton's level the players have to do what they're told to by the manager (betting without Karel Fraeye level incompetence), anything short of that and they're down the road.  Gilbs plays chuffing right back without complaint if that's what Garner wants.  He's been coached and effectively a full time footballer since his mid teens, short of left sided defender and goalie - he can put in a decent shift anywhere on the pitch, he might not be brilliant everywhere but effort and commitment goes 80+% of the way at this shitty level. 
    Take CBT for contrast - he's not a left wing back by inclination or talent but even with his physical limitations he acquitted himself reasonably well playing at the highest level of his career to date.  All achieved by effort.  Similarly Sean Claire, reportedly 'didn't like right-back', was clearly not a centre-half but he also began to acquit himself tolerably, when the team needed him to. If Gilbs's not up for that then sayonara shitforbrains.
    In today's 3rd division with it's financial and personnel numbers limitations there is no room for bench warmers or makeweights or effing 20 minute "impact" players, FFS.
    Knuckle down or naff right off.
  • edited June 2022
    cabbles said:

Washington has a similar view to me. I think there are goals in Gilbey. If Garner is a decent manager he will find a way to get them out of him.
  • cabbles said:

Washington has a similar view to me. I think there are goals in Gilbey. If Garner is a decent manager he will find a way to get them out of him.
    So if Garner moves Gilbey on he’s not a decent manager? Maybe he’ll replace him with someone who is more of a proven goal threat and a better passer?
  • cabbles said:

Given that Gilbey has never scored more than 5 league goals in a whole season, if Garner somehow turns him into a goal machine his next trick should be turning water into wine.
  • cabbles said:

But why should I trust you’re more knowledgeable about Washington being more knowledgeable than Garner?

Maybe those on here backing Garner are more knowledgeable than you?

We’ll have to find someone knowledgeable about Charlton Life posters who can confirm. Ideally someone who knows both posters well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gilbey is still under contract is he not?
    Which presumably means if nobody else wants him or he doesn't want to go we are lumbered?
    So often feel that there is a player in there, but I've had enough of waiting whilst he flatters to deceive.
    Hope we can move him on, but we need better not "a replacement".
  • thenewbie said:
    cabbles said:

Given that Gilbey has never scored more than 5 league goals in a whole season, if Garner somehow turns him into a goal machine his next trick should be turning water into wine.
    A bigger miracle would be turning the current mediocre 14 man first team squad into a half decent league 1 outfit improving on a mid table finish playing total football, excluding the low block!

• cabbles said:

@leuth putting a gagging order on Mutley as well ;-)
  • thenewbie said:
    cabbles said:

I am tempted to copy these comments. I can sniff GIlbey has goals in him. 
  • edited June 2022
    JonT_Abs said:

I remember Washington getting interviewed after a game where he said Bogle is clearly a 'Championship striker' 

It was early days at the time but it was still clear Bogle looked more of a L2 striker ...which is what he now is   
    Find it

now what are you going to do for me? 
    Advise you get a hobby because the current one leads to despair and lonliness. I think the word would like to think we are is the key to this. Nothing wrong in aiming high really. It worked for him.
    Can anyone on here translate jibberish?
  • JonT_Abs said:

Find it
    now what are you going to do for me? 
    Advise you get a hobby because the current one leads to despair and lonliness. I think the word would like to think we are is the key to this. Nothing wrong in aiming high really. It worked for him.
    Can anyone on here translate jibberish?
    F**k it... I didnt expect someone to actually call me out on my post

I'll post some random crap and die on this hill like a British Politican rather than wisely keeping quiet.
  • thenewbie said:
    cabbles said:

I am tempted to copy these comments. I can sniff GIlbey has goals in him. 
    He’s got the legs to get into the positions but too often the touch or finish is missing. A year ago I agreed but after another season of nearly moments I’m less convinced. If the rumours are true he won’t get that chance here anyway.