Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    Interesting to see if Gilbey goes to spain  I cant see him going if he is off. I personally think he will still be here this season 
    What are you talking about? You’ve already been told that’s not how it works. He will be doing pre season with us regardless of whether he’s up for sale or not. 
    Oh right. " I have already been told " apologies i keep forgetting that i need to listen more to people who have a total understanding of how the inner workings of football work even though 99% of the time they know fuck all about it 😂😂😂
    It’s not rocket science though in this case is it. I bet my house that someone who goes to Spain will leave the club before the end of the window. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    Interesting to see if Gilbey goes to spain  I cant see him going if he is off. I personally think he will still be here this season 
    What are you talking about? You’ve already been told that’s not how it works. He will be doing pre season with us regardless of whether he’s up for sale or not. 
    Oh right. " I have already been told " apologies i keep forgetting that i need to listen more to people who have a total understanding of how the inner workings of football work even though 99% of the time they know fuck all about it 😂😂😂
    I find it strange that you think a player shouldn't train with the rest of the squad, just in case he may be transferred. It's not like he's being left in the cold as a disciplinary matter.
    Should we send him home together with McG, Morgan, Kirk, Davison etc? 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Crusty54 said:
    Don't want to ruin anybody's Sunday but a photo on the club's Twitter feed confirms he's in Spain. Wearing his number 11 and looking very fit.

I would imagine Alex Gilbey's stats from the fitness tests will be some of the highest along with Sean Clare probably?

Ben Garner can work out with his coaches about the all round merits or short comings  of Alex Gilbey 

Tony Watt's fitness tests were poor but he had good feet which at times made up for the fact he had no pace, couldn't head the ball and blew out of his arse after 30 minutes. Some sublime skills from Tony Watt but he wasn't a team player as he couldn't do the hard yards. 

• Options
    AndyG said:
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    I find it strange that you think a player shouldn't train with the rest of the squad, just in case he may be transferred. It's not like he's being left in the cold as a disciplinary matter.
    That isnt what I think at all mate. Ofcourse there will be players there that might be sold if someone comes in for them. However the rumour is that Gilbey has been told he can leave. In my head that means go find yourself another employer as you are not in our plans. If that's the case what would be the point from both sides in travelling ? He may as well stay here and keep his fitness up at SL whilst hopefully talking to prospective employers 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Whoever buys him (if anyone does) will probably have wanted him to have started preseason training 

He might have also told the club that he's not leaving!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    That isnt what I think at all mate. Ofcourse there will be players there that might be sold if someone comes in for them. However the rumour is that Gilbey has been told he can leave. In my head that means go find yourself another employer as you are not in our plans. If that's the case what would be the point from both sides in travelling ? He may as well stay here and keep his fitness up at SL whilst hopefully talking to prospective employers 
    There's a difference with a "Maddison" who may have been told to find another club, because you won't be playing for Charlton again, due to his all round attitude/problems.

Then you have a good professional like Gilbey, who may or may not have been told you're not an automatic first choice and we understand if you would prefer to look around for another club.

His agent would be doing the looking in any case.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    He's (apparently) been told he CAN leave. But that's by no means the same thing as he WILL leave. From the players point of view he's still employed by CAFC and he's turned up to do his job.

From the club's point of view, he's still an employee and under contract. We might not receive an offer or he might be unable to agree personal terms. 

Either way he's not being punished and at this moment in time he could still end up being part of the Charlton squad even if by default. It makes sense that he trains and prepares so that if he stays or goes he's ready - his agent is the one doing all the legwork on any prospective move.
  • Options
    Twine to Burnley leaves a Gilbey sized space at MKD.

Still think he'll stay and play under Garner
  • Options

Not if he plays like he did from January onwards.  I see the benefit of having an athlete in midfield but not one that hides away like he does 
  • Options

Yep, with 20 goal Twine departing MK Dons are certain to see Gilbey as his replacement :smile:

Didn’t Twine mainly play up front for them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is just a rumour, but it would worry me if a player was told he was not an automatic first choice without giving him the opportunity to force his way into the team or not.
  • Options
    This is just a rumour, but it would worry me if a player was told he was not an automatic first choice without giving him the opportunity to force his way into the team or not.
    I disagree. Telling them that they are not first choice and might need to look elsewhere for regular games is okay, if handled diplomatically. If anything it's better to do it that way rather than just freezing them out without an explanation.

Outright telling them they are absolutely not going to ever play again is something else, bit given that Gilbey has made it into the Spanish tour I don't see that as being the case.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    It’s not rocket science though in this case is it. I bet my house that someone who goes to Spain will leave the club before the end of the window
    Couple of questions if I may. 

1. Do you own a house?

;-)
  • Options
    Disagree, why would we let him go if we haven't bought a replacement? Well run clubs ensure a player is backfilled before letting him go. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I disagree. Telling them that they are not first choice and might need to look elsewhere for regular games is okay, if handled diplomatically. If anything it's better to do it that way rather than just freezing them out without an explanation.

Outright telling them they are absolutely not going to ever play again is something else, bit given that Gilbey has made it into the Spanish tour I don't see that as being the case.
    I understand that. I haven't got a problem with telling a player he can leave, but whilst he is with us he should be able to see a pathway to starting in the side. Gilbey if he is in form is good enough to start for us and shouldn't feel he is being written off which to be fair, I doubt is happening.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    AndyG said:
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    It’s not rocket science though in this case is it. I bet my house that someone who goes to Spain will leave the club before the end of the window
    Couple of questions if I may. 

1. Do you own a house?

;-)
    I do, but I live in Wakefield so don't get too excited.  
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    The thing with Gilbey is we signed him from MK Dons because he was doing very well with them. They have traditionally played in a similar way to the way we are aiming to play this season. He may stay or he may go. But it would be foolish to not let Garner watch him and assess him while he is here as he may very well end up seeing something that he likes.

He is a member of the first team squad and should be treated as such.
    Thank you. Exactly right IMO.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    The thing with Gilbey is we signed him from MK Dons because he was doing very well with them. They have traditionally played in a similar way to the way we are aiming to play this season. He may stay or he may go. But it would be foolish to not let Garner watch him and assess him while he is here as he may very well end up seeing something that he likes.

He is a member of the first team squad and should be treated as such.
    Thank you. Exactly right IMO.
    He will do well this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems like a serious outsider now.
    On tonight's performance looks like he won't be able to get anywhere near the levels Garner wants.
     Is he out if his depth or just fed up and wants a move?
  • Options
    He's a kick and run footballer. Will look fine in some teams but is dropping down the pecking order.
  • Options
    Tried really hard , but dont think he has the close control and passing ability to nail a place in this side. 
  • Options
    Surely the excuses have run out now. 
  • Options
    Definitely a play forward and chase type player, which goes against the grain of what garner wants. 

Gilbey was successful last year (and season before last)  as he had the ability and freedom to play it in front of himself and run onto it, that’s not what our football style is like this year , unless you are CBT or Kirk/payne/DJ! 

Midfield is expect to be tight, hardworking and progressive - where as Gilbey (and JFC for that matter) are very much players who ‘splay the ball’ but not necessary the nitty gritty of defending and grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck!
  • Options
    He's never going to be the player we need
  • Options
    jfc and gilbey could make a lot of league 1 teams better... but not us.  Don't think there is anything wrong with that conclusion.
    I would say a couple of teams, not a lot.