Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Pictures of him earlier at training. I personally think the rumour about him being free to leave is incorrect. Nothing to base that on other than a hunch
  • Picture on Cafc Instagram today of Gilbey & Dobson at the training ground, be surprised if either is leaving soon
  • Unless a deal is close he’d likely still train with us until he’s gone so I don’t think we can read much into which players are there.
  • AndyG said:
    Pictures of him earlier at training. I personally think the rumour about him being free to leave is incorrect. Nothing to base that on other than a hunch
    Not sure that means anything to be honest. Not like he’s more likely to get a club if he’s just sat at home. 
  • edited June 2022
    JonT_Abs said:

I think I trust Washington more. More knowledgeable than us and knows the player well.
    I remember Washington getting interviewed after a game where he said Bogle is clearly a 'Championship striker' 

It was early days at the time but it was still clear Bogle looked more of a L2 striker ...which is what he now is   
    Find it

now what are you going to do for me? 
    Context is key here.

Was Washington saying he was of Championship quality (which he wasnt) or that he had come from a Championship  team. 

On that basis we could say Dylan Levitt was a Premier League player.
  • edited June 2022
    JonT_Abs said:

I think I trust Washington more. More knowledgeable than us and knows the player well.
    I remember Washington getting interviewed after a game where he said Bogle is clearly a 'Championship striker' 

It was early days at the time but it was still clear Bogle looked more of a L2 striker ...which is what he now is   
    Find it

now what are you going to do for me? 
    Context is key here.

Was Washington saying he was of Championship quality (which he wasnt) or that he had come from a Championship  team. 

On that basis we could say Dylan Levitt was a Premier League player.
    I think "a player of that calibre" suggests he thought Bogle was Championship quality. 
  • Scoham said:
    Unless a deal is close he’d likely still train with us until he’s gone so I don’t think we can read much into which players are there.
    Exactly, he's hardly going to stay at home until the end of August, just in case someone wants to sign him (without a pre season).
  • edited June 2022
    Picture on Cafc Instagram today of Gilbey & Dobson at the training ground, be surprised if either is leaving soon
    Swindon had Reed and Williams modelling the new kit on Friday.....

Oh and Dobson was at the first day of preseason at Sunderland last season, in twitter pics, signed for us the next day.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    Pictures of him earlier at training. I personally think the rumour about him being free to leave is incorrect. Nothing to base that on other than a hunch
    That isn’t how it works…
  • Carter said:
    He had a spell when Jacko first took over where he was everywhere and close to being unplayable for his opposite number. That spell was sandwiched by two very long spells of him going missing in games which is something I dont ever look kindly on. The final nail for me was him blatantly getting himself sent off so he didn't have to play at plough Lane as an ex MK franchise player. Told me all I need to know about his character. Jog him on 
    You can't seriously think this. I'm far from a Gilbey fan but this is a terrible take
    He will never admit it it was screamingly obvious what he was up to that game. He had shown no signs previously of doing something like that once. 

I'm not writing him off as a player, he has excellent energy unfortunately its often used finding a blind alley to disappear down, Harriott had the same trick in his locker too. I don't see where he fits in a midfield to be honest, he isn't a ball winner, he doesn't move the ball quick enough higher up the field, doesn't contribute at all with goals or assists and in chunks under Bowyer and Jackson I thought he actually went missing which fits in with my character assessment of him deliberately getting sent off to avoid playing at plough Lane. We've had enough players like him over the last 15 years, good in flashes, will have a game once in a blue moon where we all think maybe thats it, hes turned into the player we all suspected was in there then drops his level back down to where it probably is most of the time. 

• edited June 2022
    Croydon said:
    cabbles said:
    Look away now @Leuth.  The air in Rotherham must be a bit funny.  This is ludicrous 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/one-of-the-best-midfielders-in-league-one-charlton-athletic-midfielder-gets-strong-backing-from-former-valley-team-mate/

I’d like London news online to put up my post where I say I think League 2 would be a good move for him, just for some balance 
    Washington has a similar view to me. I think there are goals in Gilbey. If Garner is a decent manager he will find a way to get them out of him.
    Not sure that's a fair measure for Garner
    I think it is. If you think Gilbey is crap it isn't, but I think he is championship potential so what I say based on what I think of the player is valid. This isn't an attack on Garner. His quality is an unkown to me at this time and I certainly haven't developed a negative view of him.
  • edited June 2022
    Championship potential 😂
  • Croydon said:
    cabbles said:
    Look away now @Leuth.  The air in Rotherham must be a bit funny.  This is ludicrous 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/one-of-the-best-midfielders-in-league-one-charlton-athletic-midfielder-gets-strong-backing-from-former-valley-team-mate/

I’d like London news online to put up my post where I say I think League 2 would be a good move for him, just for some balance 
    Washington has a similar view to me. I think there are goals in Gilbey. If Garner is a decent manager he will find a way to get them out of him.
    Not sure that's a fair measure for Garner
    I think it is. If you think Gilbey is crap it isn't, but I think he is championship potential so what I say based on what I think of the player is valid. This isn't an attack on Garner. His quality is an unkown to me at this time and I certainly haven't developed a negative view of him.
    Gilbey has never ever scored more than five league goals in a season at any level under any manager, about three is his average and that's including his seasons where he was POTY.

It's possible that he could raise his general consistency and performance level but he's never shown himself as a goal scoring midfielder and I don't see why that will suddenly change now.
  • True, but I see that he gets more chances than the average midfielder so there is potential there. I think his game and the types of runs he naturally makes are the sort that create chances and he should score more goals. 
  • My best guess and it's only a guess, is this.
    We were told Gilbey had been suffering with covid/long covid.
    His game is based around energy and getting up and down the pitch.
    If you are lacking energy your main asset is nullified, plus it will effect all of your game.
    I'm hoping he returns from pre season fully recovered.
  • edited June 2022
    Of all my many criticisms of Gilbey, missing chances isn't one of them, so I'm not convinced he does get more than the average. I'd like to see the stats on his xG if anyone has WyScout. For me, his main issues are his lack of quality and consistency, both of which would be a barrier to stepping up to the Championship.

We've seen what Championship-potential players look like when they play in this league: Ben Whiteman, Cameron Brannagan, Owen Dale... etc. I don't personally think they look like Alex Gilbey. 
  • My best guess and it's only a guess, is this.
    If you are lacking energy your main asset is nullified, plus it will effect all of your game.
    As everyone has said though, this was clearly the one thing he had no problem doing
  • Leuth said:
    My best guess and it's only a guess, is this.
    As everyone has said though, this was clearly the one thing he had no problem doing
    I disagree, he stopped running and showing for the ball and was "hiding" behind opposition players.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd say he hid by running into pockets of space where it was unlikely he'd be able to do much with the ball from (usually right next to one of the opposition defenders). He still had to run to get there. If anything he had to run even more to reach these spaces!
  • He might not miss chances but I remember writing mid season that he takes such a slow pot shot from outside the area, it usually rebounds off a defender and starts a counter attack for the opposition.

Theory was, once one went in, the rest will fly in.
  • I don't think he is a long range goalscorer. More a run into the box one. I am confident we will see this evidenced but not sure whether it will be with us or another club. I hope it is with us.
  • I think he’s gonna be a big player for us this season 
  • edited June 2022
    I usually look at the stats but with Gilbey I also make a judgement on what I see. A bit of tweaking and he will get more goals, I'm sure of it. He makes runs into advanced areas on a regular basis.
  • I usually look at the stats but with Gilbey I also make a judgement on what I see. A bit of tweaking and he will get more goals, I'm sure of it. He makes runs into advanced areas on a regular basis.
    He's been poor for two years, you can't keep on making excuses for him, 'I'm sure of it' we could be saying that for years!

I'd be surprised if Gilbey left this summer, what club are going to want to pay a fee for him? Wait another year and they know they can get him for free. He'll also want to prove he is good enough for us, and won't want to play in league 2. 

• I usually look at the stats but with Gilbey I also make a judgement on what I see. A bit of tweaking and he will get more goals, I'm sure of it. He makes runs into advanced areas on a regular basis.
    He's been poor for two years, you can't keep on making excuses for him, 'I'm sure of it' we could be saying that for years!

I'd be surprised if Gilbey left this summer, what club are going to want to pay a fee for him? Wait another year and they know they can get him for free. He'll also want to prove he is good enough for us, and won't want to play in league 2. 

If Garner does want to let him go, then I would imagine the club wouldn’t mind seeing him go on a free now versus one more year.  You’re not talking losing huge money.  Not sure how it works financially, maybe the next club pay whatever they can and we have to pay off the difference 
  • Naby Sarr was shit for most of his god knows how many years.
    turned out alright in the end.
    He’s got a year left. We paid nothing for him so let’s see how he gets on in his final year under Garner.