Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    "He's been told he can leave".
    But nobody wants him and he doesn't want to go  :#
  • Options
    Carter said:
    He had a spell when Jacko first took over where he was everywhere and close to being unplayable for his opposite number. That spell was sandwiched by two very long spells of him going missing in games which is something I dont ever look kindly on. The final nail for me was him blatantly getting himself sent off so he didn't have to play at plough Lane as an ex MK franchise player. Told me all I need to know about his character. Jog him on 
    You can't seriously think this. I'm far from a Gilbey fan but this is a terrible take
  • Options
    No way will he drop down a division, too good for that. If he is going he’ll end up too hot of league 1. Maybe he wants to go after the way his mate was treated 
  • Options
    No way will he drop down a division, too good for that. If he is going he’ll end up too hot of league 1. Maybe he wants to go after the way his mate was treated 
    Yeah, I wondered about that and posted much the same a few days ago.

Best mates stick up for each other, don't they? 2+2 =?

• Options
    Probably end up back at MK and smash it. 
  • Options
    I think League 2 is a good level for him.  All of his best times have come in League 2 with regards to his POTY awards - I don’t know how he would feel about traveling further north based on his age and career to date.  The League one teams that may be in for him are the ones that most probably finished below us, and a lot of them apart from Cambridge are up north.

MK Dons is an outside chance on the basis he played for them, but if I’ve just finished losing play off semi finalists, why would I want a mediocre player who had a poor season for a team that finished 13th, and was very much part of the reason they finished 13th.

• Options
    I’m unsure why he has been written off by many and now league 2 is his level. We were crying out for him at the start of the season when he was out with Covid and I know he didn’t finish the season well (like a few) but still think there is valuable player there and if he does go i imagine it will be to a league 1 club 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I think League 2 is a good level for him.  All of his best times have come in League 2 with regards to his POTY awards - I don’t know how he would feel about traveling further north based on his age and career to date.  The League one teams that may be in for him are the ones that most probably finished below us, and a lot of them apart from Cambridge are up north.

MK Dons is an outside chance on the basis he played for them, but if I’ve just finished losing play off semi finalists, why would I want a mediocre player who had a poor season for a team that finished 13th, and was very much part of the reason they finished 13th.

I was a big critic of Gilbey's performances last season and wouldn't be sorry to see him go, but I think he is better than League 2. There was clearly something wrong last season and he has never really clicked since signing for us, but I still think he could do a good job with the right manager and playing a system that suits him. 

If it was a choice between him and Albie Morgan, I would choose Gilbey. As much as I like Albie and want him to do well, I really can't see him ever making a name for himself at this level or higher.
  • Options
    He'll go to a League One club if he does leave. 

Has okay stats and is an okay player in League One. He's not someone that will stand out but he'll guarantee you 30+ games and 3-5 goals over the season. 

League Two is below him considering he's been in League One most of his career with decent stats. Not a good player for a promotion but he's fine for a 12-18th place club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Has okay stats and is an okay player in League One. He's not someone that will stand out but he'll guarantee you 30+ games and 3-5 goals over the season. 

League Two is below him considering he's been in League One most of his career with decent stats. Not a good player for a promotion but he's fine for a 12-18th place club. 
    Roughly where I am with him. That bit of pace and ability to drive forward with the ball gives the impression he could step up to be a top L1 player but I don’t think we can keep making excuses for him. If we can replace with better let another club take a chance on improving him.
  • Options

I agree that he's a mid sized L1 club type of player. Lincoln, Shrewsbury level.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    You know what's weird about Gilbey's best runs of form for the club, they both occured with a new manager bounce.

Adkins came and he played quite well then fell off a cliff.

Jackson became caretaker and he played really well and then completely fell off a cliff.

So is it COVID coming and going, personal reasons, or is it possible he is just another one of our players who showed up when they felt in the mood?
    Could be he should stay away from the edge of cliffs!
  • Options
    My one hope for Gilbey is that he fits very well into Lawrie Wilson's old chant. Plus he clearly does have talent. Plus I'm sure he'd be the first to admit this season he's matched the first Wilson criteria. So if he stays I'll have the Gilbey wonderland on standby, and be waiting for his Wilson 'Brighton moment'. 

I suppose I could be waiting a while.
  • Options
    My one hope for Gilbey is that he fits very well into Lawrie Wilson's old chant. Plus he clearly does have talent. Plus I'm sure he'd be the first to admit this season he's matched the first Wilson criteria. So if he stays I'll have the Gilbey wonderland on standby, and be waiting for his Wilson 'Brighton moment'. 

I suppose I could be waiting a while.
  • Options
    Look away now @Leuth.  The air in Rotherham must be a bit funny.  This is ludicrous 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/one-of-the-best-midfielders-in-league-one-charlton-athletic-midfielder-gets-strong-backing-from-former-valley-team-mate/

I’d like London news online to put up my post where I say I think League 2 would be a good move for him, just for some balance 
  • Options
    The Championship for God’s sake - this has done me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Morgan looks to get on the ball in the attacking third and play progressive passes. He wants the ball in dangerous areas, and he has not inconsiderable touch and vision. Yeah, he can look ineffectual for games at a time, but there's a quality footballer in there somewhere. Of course, we don't need to choose between him and Gilbey - we can choose neither. But I reckon I know who Garner is going to want more
    Remember Bowyer saying Morgan does the creative stuff but loses concentration on the defensive side of his game, forgetting to track his opponent, etc.

As we all should know, 90% of a player's game is played without the ball - if a player is not doing his off ball jobs, then a team mate has to compensate and compromise his own offball job ...... and the team shape, gameplan and overall performance suffers too.

Okay, Claus Jensen wasn't keen on the grunt side of his role either, so Curbs brought Kish in to do that for him.
    But today, that would be a luxury we can't afford.

It's no co-incidence perhaps, that there's been little demand for League clubs to take Albie on loan.

Jensen didn’t tackle but he worked he worked hard off the ball - he wouldn’t have survived in that team if he hadn’t .  

Kishishev rarely played central midfield with Jensen.  

As much as I think Morgan has talent, please don’t obliquely make comparisons with Claus !
    I didn't make it up out of thin air though. My reference to Claus Jensen was based on comments Curbs himself made on Charlton TV last season, where he specifically mentioned Kish's supporting role with Jensen.

Kish’s spells in central midfield came largely after Claus left . 
  • Options
    For what it’s worth here’s my twopence on the  Gilbey - Morgan debate!

Er… that’s it.
  • Options
    Gilbey to Rotherham then.
    Good, frees up a space for Aaron Henry to try his luck.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Or maybe professional football people see more to a game/ player than fans. Just a thought. 

WINK stand down people 
  • Options
    Definitely, especially when friends ;)
  • Options
    Straight off the line with “provided the system suits him…”
    Which means “everything else in this interview is highly subjective and may not apply at all but I’ll state it all as fact anyway…”
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Definitely, especially when friends ;)

I'm hoping for a retirement Gilbs and Washo Saturday night football show.