Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    Can Ben Garner rediscover the Alex Gilbey that was MOM against Ipswich at the Valley (after his Covid !) But who went downhill faster than Franz Klammer as the season wore on.
  • Options
    The thing I don't like about Gilbey is even if Garner gets a Ballon d'Or season out of him this year, there's always the potential that he'll just regress back to the shuttling nothing that he's been previously. It's too easy for him to just have a blip and completely lose his ability to impact a game
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The thing I don't like about Gilbey is even if Garner gets a Ballon d'Or season out of him this year, there's always the potential that he'll just regress back to the shuttling nothing that he's been previously. It's too easy for him to just have a blip and completely lose his ability to impact a game
    If he stays, no doubt he'll start the season well. He shows up for a new manager. But he'll drop off the cliff again. 
  • Options
    The same could be said of any player who has a dip or a bad season after a good one.
  • Options
    Can Ben Garner rediscover the Alex Gilbey that was MOM against Ipswich at the Valley (after his Covid !) But who went downhill faster than Franz Klammer as the season wore on.
    Could be long covid effects in which case the poor sod is getting stick over something out of his control. 
    If it was wouldn't the club know and not actually play him?  Especially when we had nothing to play for for months. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Thought we had plenty more players to moan about last season before Gilbey
    Most of them have been chopped though or returned to their club following loan.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Could be long covid effects in which case the poor sod is getting stick over something out of his control. 
    If it was wouldn't the club know and not actually play him?  Especially when we had nothing to play for for months. 
    It doesn't work the way you think and affects different people differently.  So no the club would not necessarily because the medical profession doesn't know everything on this topic.
    I don't think anyone is saying the club's medical team should solve the long covid mystery, but the club would have known if he was suffering from any long-term effects. I think it's being used slightly as an excuse for Gilbey, if not the club acted absolutely disgracefully playing him so much. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Redhenry said:
    Thought we had plenty more players to moan about last season, before Gilbey
    Looking at Statbank, of the players who played 25 games or more, Gilbey is third from bottom, only players beneath him are Matthews (gone) and DJ (played out of position).

Even looking at the 10-24 appearances, the players beneath Gilbey are: Leko (gone), Burstow (gone), Gunter (gone) and Morgan (only one still here).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It doesn't work the way you think and affects different people differently.  So no the club would not necessarily because the medical profession doesn't know everything on this topic.
    I don't think anyone is saying the club's medical team should solve the long covid mystery, but the club would have known if he was suffering from any long-term effects. I think it's being used slightly as an excuse for Gilbey, if not the club acted absolutely disgracefully playing him so much. 
    Yes, and also those that think he will still come good, despite the fact no one who thinks he won’t, is questioning his fitness.  
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    The same could be said of any player who has a dip or a bad season after a good one.
    Of course, but the problem with Gilbey is that he's only been with us for two seasons and he's already dipped up and down over and over like a rollercoaster. It's the frequency of the dips no matter what manager, formation or role is given to him. And when he dips he isn't just bad for Gilbey, he's bad in a pretty historic way.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Thought we had plenty more players to moan about last season, before Gilbey
    Majority of the squad were the issue, its why we finished 13th. Just because there were worse players than Gilbey during one of our worst ever campaigns shouldn't mean we have to be stuck with him.
  • Options
    I hope I'm wrong but I regard Gilbey as beyond redemption. I'd like us to move him on but I can't see anyone taking him off our hands at League 1 level.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Blucher said:
    I hope I'm wrong but I regard Gilbey as beyond redemption. I'd like us to move him on but I can't see anyone taking him off our hands at League 1 level.

I like a challenge and I WAS the secretary of his fan club; most members were family.
    But after his first yellow card against Lincoln for a pointless tug back in an attacking position I thought he will do a reckless foul some time in the 2nd half. I was wrong he did another tug back on a shirt in the first half and despite the 10 men creating 5 good chances for mainly Conor it was another nail in JJ management career at cafc.

I resigned from the fan club before Alex did the walk of shame. 

Alex Gilbey work rate and charges up field improved after he came back from Covid. I don't think I saw all his crap games but did see him do many surges forward and then nothing came from his cross or shot. I assume the Ipswich home game was a one off. 

If Long Covid makes you forget you have been booked for a pointless foul just 15 minutes before then Alex Gilbey had long Covid.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
     That isn't  the point . Doing something  about it is the problem from what I hear. 
    Of course it is the point. Long covid does indeed affect people differently, but if Gilbey was suffering and therefore suffering a fitness issue, the club would have been aware of it. On the occasions I watched Gilbey, he didn't seem to be affected, he was running around plenty, it's not his 'energy' that is the problem, it's the fact he's not particularly good at passing, shooting or tackling. 

I agree that "doing something about it" is a problem that is an ongoing mystery to medical professionals. But I tell you what the solution certainly isn't, and that's asking someone who is struggling to play professional football. Therefore, it's highly likely there was no problem at all. Not for the whole season anyway. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
     That isn't  the point . Doing something  about it is the problem from what I hear. 
    Of course it is the point. Long covid does indeed affect people differently, but if Gilbey was suffering and therefore suffering a fitness issue, the club would have been aware of it. On the occasions I watched Gilbey, he didn't seem to be affected, he was running around plenty, it's not his 'energy' that is the problem, it's the fact he's not particularly good at passing, shooting or tackling. 

I agree that "doing something about it" is a problem that is an ongoing mystery to medical professionals. But I tell you what the solution certainly isn't, and that's asking someone who is struggling to play professional football. Therefore, it's highly likely there was no problem at all. Not for the whole season anyway. 
    Don't waste your time mate. 
  • Options
    I will say this only 27 times.

Alex Gilbey is as fit as a butcher's dog now.

Ever since Alex Gilbey have been at Cafc he has been erratic: good, bad and ugly games.
    That may be why he is in the 3rd tier. Most of our players have flaws. I will sound like a party pooper but that Includes Egbo and O'Connell. And relax, I feel better for saying that as I thought Ben Garner was talking about Virgil Van Dijk not Mandela Egbo who have traveled far and wide but hasn't quite settled yet and layed down a marker for his career. He had a good few months in League 2 but he needs to find a home and perform consistently. 
    Make your players feel they are valuable and top trumps; of course it's hyperbole but if it works then great. When the games start the talking stops and the players have to step up to the plate.

I thought Alex Gilbey could be the water carrier in midfield, do the hard yards with closing down and making ground and get the ball to Fraser or JFC to make the incisive pass. So far JFC has only just come back and Fraser career hasn't got going yet so Gilbey looks exposed in midfield.

Garner may know how to get the 8.6 performance and not 3.2 out of AG.
  • Options
    Has he left yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t we just give him to Roland and clear £50 of the unpaid rent?
  • Options
    Has he left yet?
    Think the club are just waiting for the John Marquis signing to go through. 
  • Options
    Has he left yet?
    Think the club are just waiting for the John Marquis signing to go through. 
    But first we need Stephen Kelly to find his way off the M25
  • Options
    Interesting to see if Gilbey goes to spain  I cant see him going if he is off. I personally think he will still be here this season 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It was ironic that JJ started Chuks Aneke in his first game back and he played 95 minutes and scored in added time.  As the dude who bangs on about Chuks scoring a goal every 100 minutes in League 1, I was mighty pleased. I was confident he would've scored within 5 minutes of his next appearance if not !

Alex Gilbey has a clean slate with Ben Garner BUT, his technique will let him down over the duration of a game. In League 1 he won't be the only player that will show their inconsistencies. He has a good engine and could still be a useful player if only as the water carrier for Fraser, JFC, CBT etc 

Let's not use the word Hungry but "Fire in the belly" of Albie Morgan; there is more to work with to improve his game by 50% ? 
    Is Albie Morgan just happy to pick up his wages ? He improved his set pieces but he should spend a few afternoons hitting a moving football because I have seen better techniques in the Kent League when the goal posts beckon. Yet he can pass well when he is on his game. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Interesting to see if Gilbey goes to spain  I cant see him going if he is off. I personally think he will still be here this season 
    What are you talking about? You’ve already been told that’s not how it works. He will be doing pre season with us regardless of whether he’s up for sale or not. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    What are you talking about? You’ve already been told that’s not how it works. He will be doing pre season with us regardless of whether he’s up for sale or not. 
    Unless he's just been told to train with the kids that doesnt go to Spain.

Bit of a risk though, especially if no one comes in for him, and we have an injury crisis.

But am sure he would be the only Footballer to have that treatment
  • Options
    Doesn’t mean we’re not looking to move him on, we might as well have him as part of the squad until we do. Same for Kirk, Davison and any others that might go.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    Oh right. " I have already been told " apologies i keep forgetting that i need to listen more to people who have a total understanding of how the inner workings of football work even though 99% of the time they know fuck all about it 😂😂😂