Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    The thing with Gilbey is we signed him from MK Dons because he was doing very well with them. They have traditionally played in a similar way to the way we are aiming to play this season. He may stay or he may go. But it would be foolish to not let Garner watch him and assess him while he is here as he may very well end up seeing something that he likes.

He is a member of the first team squad and should be treated as such.
    Thank you. Exactly right IMO.
    He will do well this season.
    Oops.
  • Options
    He's good enough to get in most bottom half league 1 clubs imo... people are saying it's a lack of ambition, but he will get paid the same and should boss that league enough to get a league 1 gig a bit closer to home 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Good luck Alex.

Not a player without his merits - certainly he is Athletic and can run with the ball well. Not good enough defensively to be a true box to box midfielder, and did not score or create enough to be a true attacking midfielder. I think it's right that we are moving him on, but some of the vitriol and accusations of hiding that he was subjected to last year were a bit unfair imo. Hope hew does well.
  • Options
    Seems like a nice guy.  Underachieved big style here given his previous reputation.  Lots of possible reasons why but all water under the bridge now. I wish him well. Now let’s use those wages Thomas!
  • Options
    Did we get Stevenage in the carbonara cup or did I dream that?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    It's been a painful two years. 

Probably a bad signing in hindsight as he lacks the tools we need in a midfielder. He can't unlock a defence, not great himself defensively, doesn't get his foot on the ball and dictate games, rarely dragged us up the pitch despite his acceleration... Just not very good. 

He's the last out the door from the core group of underperformers. Glad this chapter or our recent history is coming to an end. 
  • Options
    Good luck to him.

2 seasons where he pretty much missed the start of both with an injury and COVID. Had some off field personal issues as well.  Showed what he could do in a glimpse but just never got going. 

A fresh start and at club where he can stay with his family sounds like a good opportunity for us and him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    The most important thing is the 11 shirt is free from the tyranny of being held by a central midfielder. Never again.
    Hopefully we’ll give 11 to our new CB
    Honestly, I'd go down there. I'd walk a letter of complaint up to the FA like Ackworth
  • Options
    I always thought he was the wrong player for everything, or more importantly all the time, he was here.

I get the feeling he was the wrong player, at the wrong time, as opposed to being a bad player.  I expect him to be back in league 1 in January, if not August, one way or another.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    The thing with Gilbey is we signed him from MK Dons because he was doing very well with them. They have traditionally played in a similar way to the way we are aiming to play this season. He may stay or he may go. But it would be foolish to not let Garner watch him and assess him while he is here as he may very well end up seeing something that he likes.

He is a member of the first team squad and should be treated as such.
    Thank you. Exactly right IMO.
    He will do well this season.
    Oops.
    To be fair, he didn't say where he would do well.
  • Options
    Charlton proved to be the wrong place at the wrong time for him, whatever his qualities and limitations. Plus the hate mob got their claws into him.  I dunno, but some people seem to forget that players are human.

I'll wish Alex Gilbey the best of luck and hope it all works out for him. 

• Options
    I think he came to us at an unfortunate time and he just didnt get the rub of the green. I dont think JJ did him any favours last season by keep playing him when he was obviously not at his best, he carried the can for alot of our woes at that time. 
    GL Alex hopefully you get the chance to build confidence and get back on track
  • Options
    In the right team playing the way that suits him he would probably still be very effective and might be yet. But Charlton aren't that team and we haven't played that way and he's not so talismanic that we're going to build around him.

Moving on is the best thing for all parties I think, and I genuinely hope he does well for himself as I think he's probably as disappointed as anyone with how it's gone here.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Charlton proved to be the wrong place at the wrong time for him, whatever his qualities and limitations. Plus the hate mob got their claws into him.  I dunno, but some people seem to forget that players are human.

Did they?  Compared to a lot of players I don't think he got much "stick" at all, at games or on social media.

I think people that spend a lot of time on football forums massively over egg their influence.

It's not like he turned into Frank Lampard after the months of "when Gilbey and Maddison are fit the goals will start flowing" is it?

Opinions, right or wrong, that's all they are and don't effect anything.  Ever.
  • Options
    Thought he'd do better than Stevenage...
    Find it quite refreshing tbh that a guy with a young family seems on the face of it to have chosen a club that works better for his family set up than one that would have but at a slightly higher level but disruptive outside of football. 
    To me it shows a lack of desire.
    I think that's his problem.  He has football in his feet, but he doesn't have that killer instinct - which incidentally would benefit his family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a deal that suits all parties. It's not as if Gilbey was close to getting into our midfield and that would have been made clear to him by Garner. He seems to be one of those players who has a confidence issue at times and if dropping down a level and being close to his family restores that then good luck to him. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Did they?  Compared to a lot of players I don't think he got much "stick" at all, at games or on social media.

I think people that spend a lot of time on football forums massively over egg their influence.

It's not like he turned into Frank Lampard after the months of "when Gilbey and Maddison are fit the goals will start flowing" is it?

You don't know what they receive though. I know of a lad in another sport who had an unfortunate debut and received a number of direct messages telling him how sxxx he was and how he cost his team the game. It upset him. Not everyone has a thick skin about these things.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

You don't know what they receive though. I know of a lad in another sport who had an unfortunate debut and received a number of direct messages telling him how sxxx he was and how he cost his team the game. It upset him. Not everyone has a thick skin about these things.  
    No I don't know what he received, neither does the person who is replying to.

Compared to a lot of players, including many of ours, Gilbey got little or no "boo boy" treatment.  Hardly describe it as a hate mob.
  • Options
    Hope he does well, scores every week and we sell him for a good fee in January 
  • Options
    Thought he'd do better than Stevenage...
    Find it quite refreshing tbh that a guy with a young family seems on the face of it to have chosen a club that works better for his family set up than one that would have but at a slightly higher level but disruptive outside of football. 
    To me it shows a lack of desire.
    Totally agree. Should have stayed and fought for his place rather than going somewhere convenient for his home life.
    Was more thinking he could have stayed in the division by going to Lincoln and proved us wrong. Whatever he does in the basement division won't do that.
    That as well. Footballers careers are short ones and this move seems a bit of easy way out. No doubt on the same wages with us picking up the majority of them.
    Agreed, for someone aged only 27, it doesn't exactly suggest a massive desire to be the best player he could be, to achieve as much as he could, in what is a really short career.
  • Options
    Straight into the Stevenage starting eleven today.
  • Options
    Straight into the Stevenage starting eleven today.
    Golfie would be proud. 
  • Options
    Just seen the tweet from the SLP highlighting we have a recall option in Jan.  Waiting for the first deluded soul to say it might be worth a shot 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Just seen the tweet from the SLP highlighting we have a recall option in Jan.  Waiting for the first deluded soul to say it might be worth a shot 
    Could well be worth a shot!  Threadbare team and all that...
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    cabbles said:
    Could well be worth a shot!  Threadbare team and all that...
    We could play a radical new 3-7-0 formation