Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2020/21

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely f'ing disgusting performance.
    Last 5 games we've shown the way to play is going for the throat and stamping on it.

Why for the love of god revert to type?
    I can accept losing if being totally outplayed if we're trying but we didnt even try until Lamela got sent off.  Arguably Tottenham's worst NLD performance in living memory.  Got the raging hump now!
  • Options
    I would love to see Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham miss the top 4 or even top 6. Would play havoc with their finances.
    Chelsea will be ok, they have Roman's money and are looking good for top 4 now. Tuchel is showing what a good manager he is too, PSG were mad to let him go. 6 trophies in 2 seasons, a 75% win rate and reached the CL final. On your bike mate.

Pochettino is finding out that managing them isn't as easy as it looks.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea finish as high as 2nd this season.
    They seem very solid post Lampard and have decent strength in depth, especially in the final 3rd.

Re Tuchel, great manager but he seems to have a falling out with the players/board members at every club he goes to.
    I don't think he will be in charge beyond 18 months.
  • Options
    I know he didn't score last night and has only scored 4 this season, but really impressed with recent performances by Mason Greenwood.

Hard working, quick and direct. All his shots with either left or right appear to always be low and hard hit. I've also noticed he's been doing the hard, dirty tracking back work too.

Going to be a massive player for united, wouldn't surprise me if he eclipses Rashford, who frustrates me, although not, of course, as much as Martial does!
  • Options
    Yes it was only a demoralised Sheffield United, but really impressed with the way Rodgers set them up yesterday, bearing in mind the number of key players missing - Barnes, Maddison and Justin have been amongst their best players this season
  • Options
    A combination of that daft offside rule and Wolves' luck strikes again :(
  • Options
    Brighton should be every promoted team's model for how to play football
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Arsenal 3-0 down to the Hammers after 32 minutes!
  • Options
    3-1 after 37 minutes
  • Options
    How are Pablo Mari and Calum Chambers playing for Arsenal?

Championship level at best, if they were playing for Bournemouth or Stoke they wouldn't stand out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Brighton should be every promoted team's model for how to play football

They have a great owner. Spent tons of money and built a new stadium and thinks long term. It all follows the ownership.
  • Options
    I’d prefer Spurs to get Champions League than fucking West Ham ffs 
    sickening 
  • Options
    3-2
  • Options
    sickening 

For me, anything that makes life harder on the Big Six is good to me. I am sick of the same teams being in it every year. It's not good for the game. Even better, I hope Everton take a spot from Chelsea too, while we are at it.
  • Options
    sickening 
    I quite like West Ham, particularly this West Ham team which has lots of English talent. Antonio* is a really exciting player to watch. 

*he’s currently in the process of getting a Jamaican passport so he can play for them. 
  • Options
    Boom 3-3
  • Options

Championship level at best, if they were playing for Bournemouth or Stoke they wouldn't stand out.
    Chambers won man of the match!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    se9addick said:

Chambers won man of the match!
    No idea how, in the first half his defending was appalling and i posted that at 3-0 down. Going forward he was decent i'll give him that. I thought Odegaard was Arsenal's best player though
  • Options
    I know it’s crazy and they are light years above us but I see West Ham as a rival if we ever get out of being a shithouse lower league club and rise to the top again
  • Options
    Spurs looked a lot better last night with Rodon at centre back than Eric Dier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spurs looked a lot better last night with Rodon at centre back than Eric Dier.
    Indeed we did.  Worked their bollocks off and got their reward, unlike the last two performances.

Rodon and Sanchez looked solid together, our Sri Lankan opener Tarangarangaranga (Tanganga, sorry private whatsapp group nickname there!) looked strong at RB, managed to get forward but looked reasonably solid defensively, Vinny (not sideways) running his socks up off and Moura finding some form finally after long spells of being in/out the side, much much to like.

Hard to believe we played 120 mins Thurs night, the energy levels on show, you would have thought it was Villa.

Thats all we ask as fans, 100% effort.
  • Options
    Shaw, commenting on OGS and his England call up: "HIs man-management is second to none, how he speaks to players, it gets the best out of them. From what I had before Ole came in, it's a total difference. It's pushed me to a new level"

Bale, after confirming that he intended to return to Real Madrid at the end of the season he said on being able to join up with the Welsh squad: “I’m feeling fresh and ready to go. I always think when things aren’t going too well at a club, it’s nice to get away, especially mentally, get away from the club environment.

I'm sure that the connection between Shaw's previous Manager and Spurs' current Manager is a pure coincidence

True but then if you asked some of the old Porto players, or the Inter Milan players that won the treble or the likes of Drogba, Terry and Lampard what they think of Jose's man management i'm sure they'd all speak very highly of him.

If a player doesn't play much under a manager then of course he's not going to speak that highly of him.
  • Options
    Heard an interesting theory on a football podcast yesterday about Ashley and Newcastle.

Obviously no one can understand why Ashley (a man who really only cares about money) is sitting by and doing nothing about Steve Bruce as they plummet towards relegation and waving goodbye to 100m TV money.

Well the theory is that he's still pissed off at the PL rejecting the Saudi takeover, so doesn't care if they get relegated because then the Saudi takeover would be in the hands of the (less picky) EFL. Saudi's get the club for less as a championship club isn't worth as much as a PL club, and Ashley makes up some of the shortfall by pocketing the transfer cash from whichever players don't want to play in the championship.
  • Options
    Shaw, commenting on OGS and his England call up: "HIs man-management is second to none, how he speaks to players, it gets the best out of them. From what I had before Ole came in, it's a total difference. It's pushed me to a new level"

Bale, after confirming that he intended to return to Real Madrid at the end of the season he said on being able to join up with the Welsh squad: “I’m feeling fresh and ready to go. I always think when things aren’t going too well at a club, it’s nice to get away, especially mentally, get away from the club environment.

I'm sure that the connection between Shaw's previous Manager and Spurs' current Manager is a pure coincidence

True but then if you asked some of the old Porto players, or the Inter Milan players that won the treble or the likes of Drogba, Terry and Lampard what they think of Jose's man management i'm sure they'd all speak very highly of him.

If a player doesn't play much under a manager then of course he's not going to speak that highly of him.
    It's more than that though. Mourinho divides a dressing room. If you're in his camp like the players you mention then you're fine. But he will regularly fall out with players too. Look at how Eventually more than half the dressing room isn't playing for him. 

Compare that to Guardiola at City and Klopp at Liverpool. How does Guardiola keep a 22 man squad so content? If the likes of Sterling didn't think that he was contributing he wouldn't be happy to be on the bench as much as he is? Equally, how many youngsters at Spurs has Mourinho improved in the way that Guardiola has done so with the likes of Foden, Stones, Zinchenko and Sterling?

The difference is evidenced by his treatment of Salah and De Bruyne.

Mourinho played Salah just three times and publicly criticised him for his performance in a 2-1 win at Shrewsbury in League Cup. After just 13 Premier League appearances he loaned Salah out. Two years later he was at Liverpool.

De Bruyne says that Mourinho only ever spoke to him twice during his stay at Chelsea. The second conversation went like this:

"Jose called me into his office in December, and it was probably the second big life-changing moment for me. He had some papers in front of him, and he said, 'One assist. Zero goals. Ten recoveries'."

"It took me a minute to understand what he was doing. Then he started reading the stats of the other attacking forwards - Willian, Oscar, Mata, Schürrle. And it's like - five goals, 10 assists, whatever.

"Jose was just kind of waiting for me to say something, and finally I said, 'But… some of these guys have played 15, 20 games. I've only played three. So it's going to be different, no?'

"It was so strange. I was completely honest. I said, 'I feel like the club doesn't really want me here. I want to play football. I'd rather you sell me.'"

Chelsea sold him in January 2014 to Wolfsburg for £18m. Just 20 months later City signed him. 

Mourinho is not interested in building a squad. He's there to win trophies in as short a time as he can before the inevitable happens. The trouble is that those periods of management are getting shorter and shorter - Chelsea (June '13 to December '15), Man United (May '16 to December '18) and Spurs (November '19 to not very much longer)

We all know Mourinho doesn't stick around, but i wouldn't class those periods as getting shorter and shorter. That's still 2.5 years at Chelsea/United and i think he's only ever spent 3 years max at any club he's ever been at.

It's also worth noting that in those periods you've mentioned he won the PL and league cup at Chelsea, Europa league and league cup at United and has Spurs in a final.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

It's more than that though. Mourinho divides a dressing room. If you're in his camp like the players you mention then you're fine. But he will regularly fall out with players too. Look at how Eventually more than half the dressing room isn't playing for him. 

Compare that to Guardiola at City and Klopp at Liverpool. How does Guardiola keep a 22 man squad so content? If the likes of Sterling didn't think that he was contributing he wouldn't be happy to be on the bench as much as he is? Equally, how many youngsters at Spurs has Mourinho improved in the way that Guardiola has done so with the likes of Foden, Stones, Zinchenko and Sterling?

The difference is evidenced by his treatment of Salah and De Bruyne.

Mourinho played Salah just three times and publicly criticised him for his performance in a 2-1 win at Shrewsbury in League Cup. After just 13 Premier League appearances he loaned Salah out. Two years later he was at Liverpool.

De Bruyne says that Mourinho only ever spoke to him twice during his stay at Chelsea. The second conversation went like this:

"Jose called me into his office in December, and it was probably the second big life-changing moment for me. He had some papers in front of him, and he said, 'One assist. Zero goals. Ten recoveries'."

"It took me a minute to understand what he was doing. Then he started reading the stats of the other attacking forwards - Willian, Oscar, Mata, Schürrle. And it's like - five goals, 10 assists, whatever.

"Jose was just kind of waiting for me to say something, and finally I said, 'But… some of these guys have played 15, 20 games. I've only played three. So it's going to be different, no?'

"It was so strange. I was completely honest. I said, 'I feel like the club doesn't really want me here. I want to play football. I'd rather you sell me.'"

Chelsea sold him in January 2014 to Wolfsburg for £18m. Just 20 months later City signed him. 

Mourinho is not interested in building a squad. He's there to win trophies in as short a time as he can before the inevitable happens. The trouble is that those periods of management are getting shorter and shorter - Chelsea (June '13 to December '15), Man United (May '16 to December '18) and Spurs (November '19 to not very much longer)

We all know Mourinho doesn't stick around, but i wouldn't class those periods as getting shorter and shorter. That's still 2.5 years at Chelsea/United and i think he's only ever spent 3 years max at any club he's ever been at.

It's also worth noting that in those periods you've mentioned he won the PL and league cup at Chelsea, Europa league and league cup at United and has Spurs in a final.
    He did because that is what he does in the short term. He targets the League Cup as it is such a soft option with so few teams putting out their best sides. That accounts for two of those four trophies and the final that Spurs are in. 

In this year's comp they were given byes in the first two rounds, had the Orient game given to them in Round 3 due to Covid, beat Chelsea on penalties followed by Stoke and Brentford to get to the Final - so three games played, one of which one was against Premier League opposition - and they scraped through that one. City, by comparison, played Bournemouth, Burnley, Arsenal and Man United.

The one result that sums up what is going on at Spurs is the 3-0 defeat to Dinamo Zagreb. They could beat City because Mourinho is very good in one off games especially when parking the bus!

• Options
    Not really a surprise but been confirmed that Sergio Aguero is leaving Man City at the end of the year.
  • Options
    Back to Atleti surely. They have a thing about ex strikers returning towards the end of their career.