Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swindon v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views from Pg.11

Football League Cup - 1st Round

Swindon Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 5th September 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
R
eferee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Introduction
As we enter our ninety ninth season in the Football League has there ever been such uncertainty surrounding this historic Football club? - Of course we've been minutes from worse outcomes yet once again the troubles that surround Charlton Athletic just refuse to go away... There is an opportunity to focus on matters on the pitch now though, this Saturday we travel to fellow League One side: Swindon Town for what'll no doubt be a brief spell in the League Cup.

It may be a competition little will care about, but its a chance to see and support this great club on the field (where matters should be taking place!!), surely thats whole point in this current fight for the club?

The Opposition
Name: Swindon Town | Manager: Richie Wellens
Last Season: League Two (Champions) - EFL Cup: First Round

The mess that COVID created last season means that our opening salvos in the 2020/21 season involve cup competitions, already we've seen an impressive display from the youngster in the EFL Trophy, now its a chance for the First Team to get some much needed minutes in what'll be the last chance before we travel to Crewe on the opening day of the League One campaign next weekend.

Swindon Town themselves returned to League One partly thanks to the points per game method which would see them only completing thirty six games, yet that decision wouldnt change their placement and with a game in hand on those around them its difficult to tell if they were going to fall away, with the second highest Goal Difference, you'd think not... Its meant though that whilst the Addicks were fighting for their Championship surival, our opponents on the other hand havent played a competitive game since March (a 2-0 defeat at home to Forest Green Rovers) so may well be more rusty compared to their South London opponents!!

Changes have been made to the squad with Jack Payne joining on a free transfer from Lincoln the pick of the bunch, the one time highly rated prospect at Southend has struggled in recent years and will be looking for a fresh start in Wiltshire!!

Charlton Team News
As always lets get the easy news out of the way first... Dillon Phillips so dependable last season will no doubt want a return to the Championship, the shot stopper has already signalled his intent to return to that level so wont appear in a Charlton shirt until a new contract has been signed. As a result we'll be seeing Ben Amos with Ashley Maynard-Brewer as the Goalkeeping options for the foreseeable future!!

Its in defence thats the overall concern; Deji Oshilaja and Ben Purrington are our sole options at the back at present what with Jason Pearce now out for six weeks - It means that Darren Pratley will surely start at the back with George Lapslie continuing to show his versatility at Right-Back... Further forward and there will be hopes that Alex Gilbey will earn his first start in Charlton colours, the signing from Milton Keynes Dons was absent from our pre-season friendly in Surrey last weekend due to stomach problems!!

Amos
Lapslie | Oshilaja | Pratley | Doughty
Gilbey | Forster-Caskey | Morgan
Oztumer 
Bonne | Davison

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Vennings | Dempsey

Prediction
Lee Bowyer has already admitted that this particular fixture will be used as nothing more than a Pre-Season friendly and with our depleted squad / transfer embargo its the wisest approach to take - Cup competitions this season are nothing more than a distraction sadly and should be removed from what'll become a congested calendar as quickly as possible... A win may well boost morale but a winnable fixture against Crewe Alexandra next weekend should remain the ultimate focus on the pitch!!

Comments

• Options
    Good to see you back on the case F A .. Richie Wellens is a hard taskmaster and will have his newly promoted side right up for this. As said, we hardly have a 'must play' eleven at the moment so I don't expect, too much. Still a few days away though and who knows, we might have a takeover and a few quid's worth of new faces by then (my breath won't be held though). Roll on the new season and may we have spectators actually attending games, home & away  a s a p .. Come on you Addickssssaaaaaa
  • Options
    12th? isn't that when we play Crewe? 
  • Options
    Really concerned about the referee’s name.
  • Options
    I think Washington and Williams are away on international duty this weekend. If so, I hope the starting line up looks like:

Amos
    Lapslie Oshilaja Pratley Doughty

Gilbey Forster-Caskey Morgan

Oztumer

Bonne Davison 

Importantly, we must avoid any more injuries at this early stage of proceedings.

1-2 Bonne, Oztumer

• Options
    should be 5th
  • Options
    Dunno what you mean it clearly says the 5th?
  • Options
    should be 5th
    Cheers i was a wee bit confused lol also would have been a very early preview :)
  • Options
    Aren't Washington and Williams away on International duty? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Welcome back, @ForeverAddickted

Excellent preview, especially in difficult circumstances with little to go on, the little squad we have, and that it is of course a cup game first up.

Look forward to sharing these with you again this season.

As it’s our final pre-season friendly, in Bow’s eyes, I would expect him to go with what they’ve been working on ahead of next week. As I haven’t watched any of the games before now, I am going to have a guess.

Amos
    Lapslie Oshilaja Pratley(C) Purrington
    Doughty Forster-Caskey Morgan
    Oztumer
    Bonne Davison

Maynard-Brewer, Barker, Dempsey, Gilbey, Henry, Aneke

Swindon Town 1-1 Charlton Athletic
    Bonne
    (2-4 Pens)

*Edited due to players on international duty*
  • Options
    Dont forget Sage... If Barker gets used he becomes part of the Senior team, hence why I left him and Mingi etc out
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Aren't Washington and Williams away on International duty? 
    I've had a stinker...

Thanks Johnnybev1987 for pointing out the date too
    1st day nerves mate .
    You will soon be up to speed.

I'm pretty certain that with our squad being as small as it is Bowyer will field a weakened team and save a few of our senior players foe next Saturday when the league starts. 
    Despite this I reckon we will win.
    2.1 the mighty Addicks. 
  • Options
    Dont forget Sage... If Barker gets used he becomes part of the Senior team, hence why I left him and Mingi etc out
    That’s okay. I think he could be on the bench but with no intention of coming on. What other options do we have? :joy:
  • Options
    LB has said he does not expect Gilbey or Aneke to start but hope they will be on the bench. I cannot get any enthusiasm for this season yet, so I am sorry but I will not be doing a matchday commentary until the league starts, for those who do care I am sure there will be some who will keep you up to date
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So, if we can’t sign any new players because we’ve already got 23 first teamers, how can any of the people who haven’t played yet play because that will put us over 23?
  • Options
    So, if we can’t sign any new players because we’ve already got 23 first teamers, how can any of the people who haven’t played yet play because that will put us over 23?
    Guess because they're already at the club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Really concerned about the referee’s name.

What's wrong with Brett  :)
  • Options
    Slightly surprised we haven't signed a defender yet, with the spare place created  by Lockyer leaving. Not great to have NO defenders on the bench
  • Options
    Welcome back @ForeverAddickted - another great preview.  You and @Sage do a great job.  Not expecting too much from this and won't be sad to see us go out.  Think Amos is a good replacement for Dillon and his rapid distribution in the Palace game was a plus.  Would like to see Aneke get some match time.  Until the off-pitch issues are sorted I think it will be backs to the wall.  2-1 loss.
  • Options
    it's a cup match - we loose
  • Options
    Football League Cup - 1st Round

Swindon Town v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 5th September 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
    R
    eferee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Introduction
    As we enter our ninety ninth season in the Football League has there ever been such uncertainty surrounding this historic Football club? - Of course we've been minutes from worse outcomes yet once again the troubles that surround Charlton Athletic just refuse to go away... There is an opportunity to focus on matters on the pitch now though, this Saturday we travel to fellow League One side: Swindon Town for what'll no doubt be a brief spell in the League Cup.

It may be a competition little will care about, but its a chance to see and support this great club on the field (where matters should be taking place!!), surely thats whole point in this current fight for the club?

The Opposition
    Name: Swindon Town | Manager: Richie Wellens
    Last Season: League Two (Champions) - EFL Cup: First Round

The mess that COVID created last season means that our opening salvos in the 2020/21 season involve cup competitions, already we've seen an impressive display from the youngster in the EFL Trophy, now its a chance for the First Team to get some much needed minutes in what'll be the last chance before we travel to Crewe on the opening day of the League One campaign next weekend.

Swindon Town themselves returned to League One partly thanks to the points per game method which would see them only completing thirty six games, yet that decision wouldnt change their placement and with a game in hand on those around them its difficult to tell if they were going to fall away, with the second highest Goal Difference, you'd think not... Its meant though that whilst the Addicks were fighting for their Championship surival, our opponents on the other hand havent played a competitive game since March (a 2-0 defeat at home to Forest Green Rovers) so may well be more rusty compared to their South London opponents!!

Changes have been made to the squad with Jack Payne joining on a free transfer from Lincoln the pick of the bunch, the one time highly rated prospect at Southend has struggled in recent years and will be looking for a fresh start in Wiltshire!!

Charlton Team News
    As always lets get the easy news out of the way first... Dillon Phillips so dependable last season will no doubt want a return to the Championship, the shot stopper has already signalled his intent to return to that level so wont appear in a Charlton shirt until a new contract has been signed. As a result we'll be seeing Ben Amos with Ashley Maynard-Brewer as the Goalkeeping options for the foreseeable future!!

Its in defence thats the overall concern; Deji Oshilaja and Ben Purrington are our sole options at the back at present what with Jason Pearce now out for six weeks - It means that Darren Pratley will surely start at the back with George Lapslie continuing to show his versatility at Right-Back... Further forward and there will be hopes that Alex Gilbey will earn his first start in Charlton colours, the signing from Milton Keynes Dons was absent from our pre-season friendly in Surrey last weekend due to stomach problems!!

Amos
    Lapslie | Oshilaja | Pratley | Doughty
    Gilbey | Forster-Caskey | Morgan
    Oztumer 
    Bonne | Davison

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Vennings | Dempsey

Prediction
    Lee Bowyer has already admitted that this particular fixture will be used as nothing more than a Pre-Season friendly and with our depleted squad / transfer embargo its the wisest approach to take - Cup competitions this season are nothing more than a distraction sadly and should be removed from what'll become a congested calendar as quickly as possible... A win may well boost morale but a winnable fixture against Crewe Alexandra next weekend should remain the ultimate focus on the pitch!!
    Bench looks strong.......
    Yeah got those names added and did what Lee Bowyer will probably do when selecting the team"

"Fuck it that bench'll do"
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I wasn’t even aware we were playing Swindon . We’ll lose - we don’t do cups
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    No way would I have Lapslie at right back. Either play Oshilaja there & one of the youngster at centre half with Pratley  (the kid LB was praising in midweek) or a youngster who normally plays RB & Oshi in the centre.

No more fucking round pegs in square holes.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Excuse me if I’ve missed something but why would Williams not play?

Edit: just realised international duty.
  • Options
    Excuse me if I’ve missed something but why would Williams not play?

He has a pre-existing hair appointment