Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swindon v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views from Pg.11

Comments

• Options
    Sadly with the players at Bowyers disposal, I can’t see past a 2 - 0 loss. We need a takeover so badly.
    I'm not bothered if we lose.
    Concentrate on the league.
    The way things are going a cup run might be the only blessing we have this season. If we are out of both major cupcompetitions  before the big boys take part then mid table mediocrity could be all we have to look forward to.
    I can always rely on you to think the opposite of me :wink:
  • Options
    Inevitable defeat!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The dates for this season’s Carabao Cup are slightly bonkers (albeit out of necessity), with rounds 1 to 4 all taking place this month. If we were to win, we’d have to play the second round between our first two League games against Crewe and Doncaster. Further progress, however unlikely, would put an intolerable burden on our paper thin squad, with a midweek tie every week this month.
    • Round Two – 15/16 September 2020.
    • Round Three – 22/23 September 2020.
    • Round Four – 29/30 September 2020.
    As long as the players turn in a decent enough performance, Lee Bowyer will be very happy to go out of the competition today and comments from Swindon’s Richie Wellens suggests that he shares that sentiment- https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/18693074.swindon-town-manager-richie-wellens-says-league-cup-exit-home-charlton-benefits-club-long-run-ahead-potential-busy-fixture-list/

I doubt that anyone can remember Charlton going into a season with only 3 defenders on the books, one of whom is out for another 6-8 weeks. Pratters and George Lapslie will do a decent job filling in but the position is a total nonsense. Let’s hope that Elliot and his undisclosed chums - who are patently incapable of funding the club going forward - are out of the picture imminently and that the players that Lee and Steve Gallen have lined up haven’t by then signed for other clubs.

All that said, I am looking forward to today’s game. Hopefully Gilbey and Chuks can get some minutes under their belt and Jonny Williams and Connor Washington return next week unscathed after international duty.
  • Options
    So basically its going to be 0-0 until penalties - Even those will get missed by everyone with the sole scorer being the fella who's bored and just wants to go home
  • Options
    I think we will smash them 4-0.
  • Options
    I wonder if we’ll see u18s in the squad again. I’m guessing Henry and Barker played as the EFL won’t count them as “first team players” due to their age. We have several CBs and CMs in the u23s so it was surprising to see those two start the game.
  • Options
    Got a feeling we will see a fair amount of Barker this season, LB seemed very impressed with him against Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I wonder if we’ll see u18s in the squad again. I’m guessing Henry and Barker played as the EFL won’t count them as “first team players” due to their age. We have several CBs and CMs in the u23s so it was surprising to see those two start the game.
    I thought that age doesn’t matter for EFL claiming players as first team. It’s only the wage cap where youth players are exempt. So any u18s playing today would then be included in EFLs latest idea. 
  • Options
    I thought that but maybe there’s a cut off point or perhaps it’s because they’re not on pro contracts yet? Otherwise it seems strange they played ahead of so many u23 players - Mingi and Aidoo came on in the game v Palace for example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure it'll change when we really get going but I can't remember a time when I've felt less enthusiastic and more flat about the season starting. Can't see beyond a home win in the circumstances. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I thought that but maybe there’s a cut off point or perhaps it’s because they’re not on pro contracts yet? Otherwise it seems strange they played ahead of so many u23 players - Mingi and Aidoo came on in the game v Palace for example. 
    We are under a unique embargo, the EFL rewrote the rule book just for us...
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    The dates for this season’s Carabao Cup are slightly bonkers (albeit out of necessity), with rounds 1 to 4 all taking place this month. If we were to win, we’d have to play the second round between our first two League games against Crewe and Doncaster. Further progress, however unlikely, would put an intolerable burden on our paper thin squad, with a midweek tie every week this month.
    As long as the players turn in a decent enough performance, Lee Bowyer will be very happy to go out of the competition today and comments from Swindon’s Richie Wellens suggests that he shares that sentiment- https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/18693074.swindon-town-manager-richie-wellens-says-league-cup-exit-home-charlton-benefits-club-long-run-ahead-potential-busy-fixture-list/

I doubt that anyone can remember Charlton going into a season with only 3 defenders on the books, one of whom is out for another 6-8 weeks. Pratters and George Lapslie will do a decent job filling in but the position is a total nonsense. Let’s hope that Elliot and his undisclosed chums - who are patently incapable of funding the club going forward - are out of the picture imminently and that the players that Lee and Steve Gallen have lined up haven’t by then signed for other clubs.

All that said, I am looking forward to today’s game. Hopefully Gilbey and Chuks can get some minutes under their belt and Jonny Williams and Connor Washington return next week unscathed after international duty.
    This is why I'm quite happy to lose today.
  • Options
    I suspect we will play some decent stuff - even without Williams we have a quality midfield - but the gaps at the back and front will probably hurt us

Oztumer, JFC, Morgan, Gilbey, Doughty are pretty decent options in midfield, and Bonne and Davison isn't a bad front 2, but with no cover on the bench

• Options
    I reckon the team will duly oblige - although it would be very 'Charlton' to get a result in a competition where, relative to our league stats, we have one of the worst records of the 92 league clubs.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

This is why I'm happy for us to lose.
    2-2 with 4 og's and then everyone misses the penalties (as said above).
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    I reckon the team will duly oblige - although it would be very 'Charlton' to get a result in a competition where, relative to our league stats, we have one of the worst records of the 92 league clubs.
    Presume losing to Wycombe in QF (2005 or 2006?) is the furthest we’ve progressed. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

On the other hand if the takeover does happen this week and a number of signings start arriving in the next week or 2, then the extra game next week might be useful for getting players up to fitness
  • Options
    Got a feeling we will see a fair amount of Barker this season, LB seemed very impressed with him against Wimbledon.
    I don’t care what Laurence Bassini thinks of Barker. Lee Bowyer’s is the only opinion I care about.
  • Options
    I bought a season pass on Valley Pass, but it's saying I don't have the right to watch the game. Does the season pass only include league games or something? Anybody got any insight?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I bought a season pass on Valley Pass, but it's saying I don't have the right to watch the game. Does the season pass only include league games or something? Anybody got any insight?
    Did you pay £140 with a VPN turned on?

Its a game today that is only available for UK and Ireland viewers
  • Options
    Sadly with the players at Bowyers disposal, I can’t see past a 2 - 0 loss. We need a takeover so badly.
    I'm not bothered if we lose.
    Concentrate on the league.
    The way things are going a cup run might be the only blessing we have this season. If we are out of both major cupcompetitions  before the big boys take part then mid table mediocrity could be all we have to look forward to.
    Our idea of a cup run is a replay.
    No , going to penalties. 
    I thought it was when the ball with Charlton’s number on it gets drawn, after that the run has ended. Still, somebody has to win it so why not Charlton...damn, now that’s blown the run for sure...
  • Options
    Quite happily see us lose as a result of taking it very easy to avoid injuries
  • Options

Possibly, yeah... Went to buy a single match but ended up getting whole season.... Still.... It would show I'm in UK now, so should be able to access. 

I assume the price was £140 regardless of whether you are in the UK or abroad, right?
  • Options

Possibly, yeah... Went to buy a single match but ended up getting whole season.... Still.... It would show I'm in UK now, so should be able to access. 

I assume the price was £140 regardless of whether you are in the UK or abroad, right?
    Nah it wouldnt as that £140 is only for viewers outside the UK - We dont get a season pass here in the UK as its only technically the COVID restricted games that we get (on Saturdays) and the midweek games
  • Options
    Probably have a difference in view, but think staying in this and at FA cup would be more beneficial.

brings in extra finance and gives us the chance to field youngsters to gain experience etc’
  • Options
    https://www.technadu.com/free-vpn-trial-no-credit-card-required/39434/

I don't know if this is any good, but might be a VPN on here that will work.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    Probably have a difference in view, but think staying in this and at FA cup would be more beneficial.

brings in extra finance and gives us the chance to field youngsters to gain experience etc’
    I don't think the youngsters not having a chance is going to be one of our biggest problems this season. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

If we had a deep enough squad then I'd agree... at moment the longer these off field issues drag on, the fewer games we need
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    sammy391 said:

If we had a deep enough squad then I'd agree... at moment the longer these off field issues drag on, the fewer games we need
    Chizz said:
    sammy391 said:

I don't think the youngsters not having a chance is going to be one of our biggest problems this season. 

Agreed that we need players , particularly more senior ones for and ready - but games like these give chances to mingi/barker/aucharia/Maynard-brewster/etc 

Can only be a positive that they get games