Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swindon v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views from Pg.11

Comments

• Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:
    Probably have a difference in view, but think staying in this and at FA cup would be more beneficial.

brings in extra finance and gives us the chance to field youngsters to gain experience etc’
    If we had a deep enough squad then I'd agree... at moment the longer these off field issues drag on, the fewer games we need
    Chizz said:
    sammy391 said:
    Probably have a difference in view, but think staying in this and at FA cup would be more beneficial.

brings in extra finance and gives us the chance to field youngsters to gain experience etc’
    I don't think the youngsters not having a chance is going to be one of our biggest problems this season. 

Agreed that we need players , particularly more senior ones for and ready - but games like these give chances to mingi/barker/aucharia/Maynard-brewster/etc 

Can only be a positive that they get games 
    I dont know how it works as could be very wrong but Bowyer has to be careful as if someone like Aucharia (would love to see him get a chance) plays then we cant replace Lockyer until the embargo gets lifted as we'll go back to having 23-players in the team
  • Options
    This is a pretty-season friendly. Hope Bowyer gets a good run out from the current squad. Really don’t care at all what the result is.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Charlie Barker really has come from no where

Great opportunity for him to actually say to Bowyer that we dont need another CB (if we get Lynch)
  • Options
    They accidentally posted the teamsheet before hand with Amos as number 1
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Seriously confused does Barker not now count as one of our 23 man squad? Or has it been decided there's no chance of signing anyone worthwhile under the embargo?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Other than Gilbey and Aneke on the bench and Washington and Williams away on international duty that is pretty much full strength (from those available).
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Seriously confused does Barker not now count as one of our 23 man squad? Or has it been decided there's no chance of signing anyone worthwhile under the embargo?
    Unless his age means we're allowed to play him and not get penalised?
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Other than Gilbey and Aneke on the bench and Washington and Williams away on international duty that is pretty much full strength (from those available).
    Wont be surprised to see Vennings against Crewe at this rate, he's been really involved this pre-season
  • Options
    What is the formation? Lapslie playing RB? Maybe Deji? Can Barker play out wide?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They accidentally posted the teamsheet before hand with Amos as number 1
    I wondered why it was removed and then posted again, thanks for the explanation.
  • Options
    What is the formation? Lapslie playing RB? Maybe Deji? Can Barker play out wide?
    4-3-3? - Its been the case a few friendlies now

Amos
    Oshilaja | Barker | Pratley | Purrington
    Forster-Caskey | Vennings | Lapslie
    Oztumer | Bonne | Doughty
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Is it his age? I think he is 17.

Mingi and Ness are older.

Could we sign Lynch or Matthews as a non contract player so that they could play next week? 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    I reckon the team will duly oblige - although it would be very 'Charlton' to get a result in a competition where, relative to our league stats, we have one of the worst records of the 92 league clubs.
    Presume losing to Wycombe in QF (2005 or 2006?) is the furthest we’ve progressed. 
    I think you're right @stoneroses19. The only other progress I remember in the League Cup was around the mid-70s when we lost 3-2 at home to Stoke at The Valley in the last 16. An entertaining game in front of around 16,000 and young Garth Crooks got one of their goals.
  • Options
    Stoke scored in the first minute, not sure we'd even touched the ball before it was in the net. Two down soon after.

Got it back to 2-2 and then Crooks won a penalty, thought it was a dive though.

• Options
    MattF said:
    Unless his age means we're allowed to play him and not get penalised?
    Richard J said:
    MattF said:

Could we sign Lynch or Matthews as a non contract player so that they could play next week? 
    That makes sense, seems pretty generous and helpful by the EFL's standards
  • Options
    Surprised Vennings has gone ahead of Morgan 
  • Options
    Different player... I wonder if Vennings is being used as Pratley and Lapslie have been forced into defence as he sits a bit more doesnt he? 
  • Options
    Morgan not as good as some people make out 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Different player... I wonder if Vennings is being used as Pratley and Lapslie have been forced into defence as he sits a bit more doesnt he? 
    Vennings is more of an attacking midfielder though, Dempsey would be more of a defensive option
  • Options
    Well Sandgaard has just liked my tweet about thinking he'd be there today so is set to equal Roland for games attended 
  • Options
    Looks a pretty weak line up, picked from a limited squad.  Unless we get TS in, I fear for our season. 
    Five players absent though

Two of those on the bench: Aneke and Gilbey
    Two on duty: Williams and Washington
    One injured: Pearce

Still dont think we need massive amounts of improvement, quality over quantity 
    I would suggest we need 5 defenders though, 2 CBs, 2 RBs and 1 LB, depending on whether we want to play with 2 or 3 CBs
  • Options
    Looks a pretty weak line up, picked from a limited squad.  Unless we get TS in, I fear for our season. 
    Five players absent though

Two of those on the bench: Aneke and Gilbey
    Two on duty: Williams and Washington
    One injured: Pearce

Still dont think we need massive amounts of improvement, quality over quantity 
    I would suggest we need 5 defenders though, 2 CBs, 2 RBs and 1 LB, depending on whether we want to play with 2 or 3 CBs
    Absolute minimum we need one RB, two CBs, a Cullen replacement and another Goalscorer

But yeah we do need to heavily improve the defence
  • Options
    4-3-3? - Its been the case a few friendlies now

Amos
    Oshilaja | Barker | Pratley | Purrington
    Forster-Caskey | Vennings | Lapslie
    Oztumer | Bonne | Doughty
    Yes except I'm thinking:
    Lapslie Barker Deji Purrington
    Vennings Pratley JFC
    Oz ......Bonne........Doughty
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    MattF said:

This is my guess as well. It's really the only thing that makes sense. It would also mean that Henry doesn't count against us (though he played last season). 
  • Options
    I always think it is good to play youngsters in these cup games, but unfortunately, we do not have any choice. Have not a lot of interest in these games, I will look at the result and read other peoples opinions, but I cannot get any enthusiasm going yet