Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson signed (page 14 - Jun 2021, signs 1 year extension)

Comments

• Options
    the only up side to this - and i'm backtracking here - is if it helps convince chelsea that we are the right place for one of their highly rated young central midfielders to come to next year - there's no doubt he has been a top player and will have a lot of good experience to pass on to somebody who anchors the midfield - we will then have one over the hill player and one up and coming although probably both of a far higher quality than a prime league 1 / champ level player but at least the up and coming player could grow with us and come 'on the journey'  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The best players on a free are invariably older, and loans young and inexperienced. I suspect that our plans are to buy the best young players we can and have the experienced players we have supporting them.
    Shrewsbury have a few and I like Ogbeta that plays left back/wing back. We really need to start having our own players and just one or two loans that can supply the quality we can’t buy.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If we extend Watson, Pratley, maybe Pearce.......how do we actually improve the spine of our team in these crucial positions.

This.

I assume Bowyer does know that by continually picking Watson he has triggered the extension. He could have just NOT picked him & therefore he would have left in the summer.

Cue Bowyer moaning in September that we can't recruit the right players because we have x y & z still on the books.

Shit for brains some people. 
    That would make sense if the salary cap was still in place.

It seems likely Bowyer (or whoever the manager is by then) will get better backing in the transfer market than there’s been over the last few years.
  • Options
    I've been impressed by him the last few matches.  He needs lot's of legs around him, no surprise for a 35 yr old.  If there isn't energy all around him, we have a huge closing down issue where opposition midfielders have free runs in middle and final third of the pitch.  The midfield's gradually improved, mainly helped out by Connor's huge work rate in closing down.  On the last few games' performances well worth having in the team and squad.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    If we extend Watson, Pratley, maybe Pearce.......how do we actually improve the spine of our team in these crucial positions.

This.

I assume Bowyer does know that by continually picking Watson he has triggered the extension. He could have just NOT picked him & therefore he would have left in the summer.

Cue Bowyer moaning in September that we can't recruit the right players because we have x y & z still on the books.

It seems likely Bowyer (or whoever the manager is by then) will get better backing in the transfer market than there’s been over the last few years.
    I think there is still a limit on squad size......and I believe that is reducing next season too.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:

This.

I think there is still a limit on squad size......and I believe that is reducing next season too.
    It was part of the same "legislation" whether it is re implemented is the issue. 
  • Options
    One year extension signed.
  • Options
    Ok.
  • Options
    Disappointing 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great excitement over this. :D
  • Options
    Calm down people He will be like pearce and we could do alot worse than him as backup and for experience
  • Options
    I mean he makes up the numbers at least...
  • Options
    That quote from Nigel Adkins doesn't scream "I think he's quality', does it?

Basically just he's got decent experience.  

I suspect this is more Watson exercising an option than us begging him to stay.
  • Options
    It was inevitable with his option I feel, unless Adkins said ok you can take the option, but you won't be playing.
  • Options
    "Important part in the squad"

I hope so as I don't think he consistently showed what he has done at previous clubs last year with us.  I hope he has a lot more competition from younger players as I wasn't convinced.

He had an option which it seems he's decided to take up.

Perhaps, like Stockley, he's had a look around, understandably, and decided the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    not unexpected .. he's not as bad as many on here would have us believe (& don't say he's worse f f s) .. he'll do a job when required
  • Options
    Disappointing news . Looked a real cart horse last season . Didn't look like he gave a shit either .
  • Options
    That quote from Nigel Adkins doesn't scream "I think he's quality', does it?

Basically just he's got decent experience.  

I suspect this is more Watson exercising an option than us begging him to stay.
    That's what I thought. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yay
  • Options
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    FFS :|
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Excellent news was excellent under Adkins very calm in the ball and hardly wastes a pass … one of them players you notice when he missing .. as we did with the goals coming through our mid when he was not there 
    Tbf he was calm on the ball. So calm he had it taken off him far too often.
    If by some "miracle" he can improve his speed of movement he would be a greater asset.
  • Options
    I am happy with this.

Like Gunter I do not think he was as bad as some on here said and in the way Chris suffered because of his versatility, Ben shouldn't have been alongside Pratley for whole games because it slowed the pace of the team.

When he signed I thought it would have been to rotate with Darren.

The other point with experienced players and I admit to being guilty of this is because we know of them we expect the younger version. For example the John Barnes who signed for us was a completely different player to the one who scored against Brazil for England. Similarly with Ben.

In my view he is still worth having around. 
  • Options
    It was either him or Pratley staying on. Watson had the extension option so Pratley had to go. That's the way I see it.

Good experienced pro in the group of defenders to learn from and another one in midfield. Should do the younger players the world of good to see how the top professionals handle themselves day to day.
    Personally would have preferred Pratley to stay but agree given the contracts of the two it was always going to be Watson. I think used in the right games he's fine to have in the squad, he showed his passing can still be an asset and as long as we're not expecting him to be the midfield enforcer but if he ends up starting more than 15 games I think we will have issues. 
  • Options
    It was either him or Pratley staying on. Watson had the extension option so Pratley had to go. That's the way I see it.

Good experienced pro in the group of defenders to learn from and another one in midfield. Should do the younger players the world of good to see how the top professionals handle themselves day to day.
    This.

Last year I preferred him to Pratley (and God knows why sometimes they both played in the same team) and he is a much better ball player & passer than Pratley.

However, I do hope he is only used in cameos or in emergencies and not starting most weeks. 

Still no "new" signings or anything to whet our appetites. Fearing that the 5 year plan is starting to come unstuck.....