Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson signed (page 14 - Jun 2021, signs 1 year extension)

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully this will be the least inspiring signing this transfer window 
    There can't be any less inspiring signing can there ???
  • Options
    good news in the sense things are progressing but i can only assume we had no choice but to agree to this 
  • Options
    Scenario 1. We go on to sign lots of young, high energy creative players and Watson’s extension is seen mainly as adding experience, guile and professionalism to the squad in a back up role. 

Scenario 2: our transfer and wage budget does not allow us to have a successful rebuild and we end up with a few third choices and untested loans. In which case Watson plays more and we struggle more. 

Let’s hope it’s the former. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    good news in the sense things are progressing but i can only assume we had no choice but to agree to this 
    100%
  • Options
    Hopefully this will be the least inspiring signing this transfer window 
    There can't be any less inspiring signing can there ???

Not unless Omar Bogle comes back. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I am happy with this.

Like Gunter I do not think he was as bad as some on here said and in the way Chris suffered because of his versatility, Ben shouldn't have been alongside Pratley for whole games because it slowed the pace of the team.

When he signed I thought it would have been to rotate with Darren.

The other point with experienced players and I admit to being guilty of this is because we know of them we expect the younger version. For example the John Barnes who signed for us was a completely different player to the one who scored against Brazil for England. Similarly with Ben.

In my view he is still worth having around. 
    Blimey, this might be the only time a comparison has been made between John Barnes and Ben Watson ever. Barnes wasn't fit to lace Ben's boots. 

😉
  • Options
    Can’t blame him for exercising his option, another one bolstering his pension pot.
  • Options
    For someone who isn’t the least bit bothered about Pearce signing a new deal, this one really doesn’t do anything for me.

oh well.  Two experienced pros confirmed.  Plus Gunter, surely we’re done in that age range now
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    100%
    A predictable answer.  @DOUCHER is always right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent news was excellent under Adkins very calm in the ball and hardly wastes a pass … one of them players you notice when he missing .. as we did with the goals coming through our mid when he was not there 
    One of the things I have always enjoyed about Charlton Life is reading the views of fellow supporters. I may not always agree with them but it is genuinely fascinating to see how we all see things differently. 

But, just occasionally, I do sometimes wonder whether I am watching the same player as a fellow fan. And I have to say this is one of them.

All I can say is it will be fascinating to see if he can get booked in his first 5 games again next season. Given he will be even slower, I think there is a good chance it will happen.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Can’t blame him for exercising his option, another one bolstering his pension pot.
    All about the wonga mate.
  • Options
    We’ve only got to confirm JFC and Aneke and we’re almost back to the squad that puffed it’s way to 7th last season ;-) 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Bang on the money Elfs (did you see what I did there 😉).
  • Options
    Excellent news was excellent under Adkins very calm in the ball and hardly wastes a pass … one of them players you notice when he missing .. as we did with the goals coming through our mid when he was not there 
    One of the things I have always enjoyed about Charlton Life is reading the views of fellow supporters. I may not always agree with them but it is genuinely fascinating to see how we all see things differently. 

But, just occasionally, I do sometimes wonder whether I am watching the same player as a fellow fan. And I have to say this is one of them.

All I can say is it will be fascinating to see if he can get booked in his first 5 games again next season. Given he will be even slower, I think there is a good chance it will happen.
    agree 100% which is good news for you and bad news for watson, or more to the point, Charlton - just ask Elfsborg 
  • Options
    It was either him or Pratley staying on. Watson had the extension option so Pratley had to go. That's the way I see it.

Good experienced pro in the group of defenders to learn from and another one in midfield. Should do the younger players the world of good to see how the top professionals handle themselves day to day.
    This.

Last year I preferred him to Pratley (and God knows why sometimes they both played in the same team) and he is a much better ball player & passer than Pratley.

However, I do hope he is only used in cameos or in emergencies and not starting most weeks. 

Still no "new" signings or anything to whet our appetites. Fearing that the 5 year plan is starting to come unstuck.....
    Very little business done by our competitors in this division yet either. Every player assessing their options. May prove we're not willing to pay silly wages (which I think is a good thing) but nothing else at the moment. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Bang on the money Elfs (did you see what I did there 😉).
    The penny dropped after reading the post a second time.
  • Options
    Hope it comes in threes and Chuck's signs next.
  • Options
    in all seriousness, the season isn't gonna be decided on which of our out of contract players sign up again, its the business that follows that matters - chucks is the only one who can potentially make a difference and probably the only one any other club wants 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll keep the champagne on ice for now.

Good in his day no doubt but those days are long gone and he is possibly the least mobile midfield player I have ever seen and way past his sell by date as are Pearce and the Welsh Euros star. 

Not sure of the thinking behind this unless we were legally obliged to keep him and his walking frame on the books. If so, many congratulations to his agent.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Not long now mate before you qualify for a pension. 
    You young rascal 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Not long now mate before you qualify for a pension. 
    You young rascal 
    Made my day mate that has mate, I’ve always been a rascal but ‘young’ 🏋️ 😉.
  • Options
    Adkins wants to bring in a number of young players and bring through some of the academy lot and he clearly wants some experience around on the training ground, in the dressing room and to support on the pitch. That's a good thing, you need a few older players to help guide the younger ones. It's good to have Watson and Pearce signed on to help develop a new team
  • Options
    Adkins wants to bring in a number of young players and bring through some of the academy lot and he clearly wants some experience around on the training ground, in the dressing room and to support on the pitch. That's a good thing, you need a few older players to help guide the younger ones. It's good to have Watson and Pearce signed on to help develop a new team
    Pearce has been told he will not be first choice. Watson will most likely be playing.
  • Options
    There is no way in hell Adkins wants Watson in his first choice playing XI
  • Options
    If you haven’t got anything good to say then don’t say it , me old mam said, must resist….
  • Options
    When do we start to panic at the absence of signings?

is there a two week deadline involved?

;)