Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson signed (page 14 - Jun 2021, signs 1 year extension)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    There is no way in hell Adkins wants Watson in his first choice playing XI
    Not every week, Watson's performances dropped drastically in the 3rd game in a week.  Saying that I honestly think Watson/JFC/Gilbey was consistently our best 3 man midfield last season.  If those 3 are all 2nd choices next season we will have some midfield! 
  • Options
    I can see what Watson brings off the pitch with his experience

I was less enthused with what he did on the pitch though, as he didn't really bring much to the table. He doesn't have the energy now to get up and down the pitch, and he isn't really a defensive shield either - Pratley was useful when you needed someone for a physical battle, but Watson's never really been that sort of player
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Not every week, Watson's performances dropped drastically in the 3rd game in a week.  Saying that I honestly think Watson/JFC/Gilbey was consistently our best 3 man midfield last season.  If those 3 are all 2nd choices next season we will have some midfield! 
    This was why (budget allowing) I would have retained Pratley. He was a different type of DM and in L1 he had his uses.

Apart from the closing stages of a tight match I would not have played them together, but I felt as a rotation they complimented each other. Nigel seemed to understand that. Bows didn't. 
  • Options
    If he can serve in an Andy Hughes style of training example/experienced pro then that's not an altogether bad thing. Having him around for cup games or to cover the odd injury/suspension won't hurt.

If he's a first team regular we're in deep trouble.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    This was why (budget allowing) I would have retained Pratley. He was a different type of DM and in L1 he had his uses.

Apart from the closing stages of a tight match I would not have played them together, but I felt as a rotation they complimented each other. Nigel seemed to understand that. Bows didn't. 
    A promotion side would have neither in it. Adkins also understands this.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

Its unlikely they would be in our side (1st choice) if we are promoted
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This, he’ll be cover just like Pearce.
  • Options
    Similar to the Pearcy deal, I like the words said by both the player and club. They emphasise being a squad player and not an integral part of the 1st 11. For former club captains, that probably dented their ego a bit.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If we extend Watson, Pratley, maybe Pearce.......how do we actually improve the spine of our team in these crucial positions.

This.

I assume Bowyer does know that by continually picking Watson he has triggered the extension. He could have just NOT picked him & therefore he would have left in the summer.

Cue Bowyer moaning in September that we can't recruit the right players because we have x y & z still on the books.

Shit for brains some people. 
    Apologies for asking.......
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

A promoted side also doesn't only have 11 players.

"Hello Mr young and hungry player, Nigle here, I know you have got some offers from Championship clubs, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc but do you fancy coming here to be my 2nd choice DM or 4th choice CB?   Hello, Hello........." 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Similar to the Pearcy deal, I like the words said by both the player and club. They emphasise being a squad player and not an integral part of the 1st 11. For former club captains, that probably dented their ego a bit.
    Pearce is still club captain according to Adkins own comments. But suspect/hope he won't be captain on the pitch.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    mendonca said:
    Pearce is still club captain according to Adkins own comments. But suspect/hope he won't be captain on the pitch.
    I expect Watson to be captain on the pitch .
  • Options
    Passengers are reminded to wear a face mask at all times. 
    We should have got him one last season - let alone this coming one. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

But this is about a squad not a side. 
  • Options
    JFC & Aneke yet to sign the dotted line.

Aneke really is the only one that I'm disappointed still hasn't committed, but I understand if Champ clubs are interested.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Wrong thread
  • Options
    Not going to be made public, but I wonder what, if any, other options Watson had on the table to compete with Charlton. Another signing, but not a marquee super-duper-phone type one that I'm still hoping for.
  • Options
    Last year he was a big signing, this he’s going to be a useful squad player, ambitions have changed, and I’m happy to have someone with his experience round the place
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    My understanding is that Ben was offered, or at least sounded out about, a very good 4 year, 2 playing plus 2 coaching, deal at national league club (I won't say who but it has a BR post code).

He wants to play at the highest level he can, he doesn't really need the money.

Nigel wants him, he wants him to play, so he signed ofor us. 
    Cray Wanderers?
  • Options

Charlton have re-signed Ben Watson and Jason Pearce on new one-year contracts.

“They know that, in my mind, they are not going to be the starters,” said Adkins. “But they are determined to have that ‘I’ll show you’ [mentality] which is brilliant.

“They have got massive roles to play. We have got a lot of academy players and it is important they have got good role models – people who have been there, seen it and done it. They are going to contribute. They are excellent characters.”

From the SLP

WIOTOS.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    My understanding is that Ben was offered, or at least sounded out about, a very good 4 year, 2 playing plus 2 coaching, deal at national league club (I won't say who but it has a BR post code).

I certainly hope this wasn't the case, if we had a chance to somehow unhitch our wagon from Watson and get out of our obligation to give this bloke another year we should have dived on it. 
  • Options

Charlton have re-signed Ben Watson and Jason Pearce on new one-year contracts.

“They know that, in my mind, they are not going to be the starters,” said Adkins. “But they are determined to have that ‘I’ll show you’ [mentality] which is brilliant.

“They have got massive roles to play. We have got a lot of academy players and it is important they have got good role models – people who have been there, seen it and done it. They are going to contribute. They are excellent characters.”

From the SLP

Plus they get paid a good wage.
    Should of got rid of both in my opinion but I'm not the manager. 
  • Options
    Razor1890 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I certainly hope this wasn't the case, if we had a chance to somehow unhitch our wagon from Watson and get out of our obligation to give this bloke another year we should have dived on it. 
    This
  • Options
    Razor1890 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not up to is though is it.  Don't give options if you don't want them enforced.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Razor1890 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not up to is though is it.  Don't give options if you don't want them enforced.  
    I meant if we talked him out of taking an offer elsewhere, I do appreciate that if we gave him the option we have made our own bed.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If Watson had triggered his 1-year extension, what would the negotiation be? It would have all been in the contract. Play X amount of games, contract is renewed for 1-year on these terms: blah blah. It can't trigger a 'negotiation' because it would have to be binding and how can a negotiation be binding? 

It's fairly clear he didn't meet the required amount of games but he's still been asked to stay. 

Not surprised if he's been tapped up by a National League side because at this stage of his career - that does look about his level.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    mendonca said:
    Pearce has said he will not be first choice but will fight for his place. He won't be captain on the pitch.