Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson signed (page 14 - Jun 2021, signs 1 year extension)

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    If Watson had triggered his 1-year extension, what would the negotiation be? It would have all been in the contract. Play X amount of games, contract is renewed for 1-year on these terms: blah blah. It can't trigger a 'negotiation' because it would have to be binding and how can a negotiation be binding? 

It's fairly clear he didn't meet the required amount of games but he's still been asked to stay. 

Not surprised if he's been tapped up by a National League side because at this stage of his career - that does look about his level.
    It is possible he didn't trigger the games because he played 29.  
  • Options
    Just catching up on the FA Cup replay at Solihull Moors. Ben Watson doing punditry...and people think his football's bad...
  • Options
    If Watson did not come on when we were 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go with the game in need of somebody to see us over the line then there is little point him being on the bench. Maybe he will be employed as a future coach, Jacko likes him. 
  • Options
    If Watson did not come on when we were 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go with the game in need of somebody to see us over the line then there is little point him being on the bench. Maybe he will be employed as a future coach, Jacko likes him. 
    He was definitely coaching someone the other night, I think it was the Gateshead game. I can't remember who it was, but from his hand gestures it looked pretty clear he was giving tactical advice. So I would say there's a very good chance he's being trained to be a coach once he hangs up his boots. 
  • Options
    Watson was a very good player, experience counts for an awful lot. But when it's time to hang up your boots it's time, he's probably just about at that point, but no doubt he has an awful lot to offer from the sidelines and from all accounts he's very 'Pratley' like around the place. Sometimes you need that experienced head around, but then in an ideal world we'd have kept Pratley as he'd still get some game time whereas I don't think bar devastating injuries decimating the squad we'll see more than the odd 5 minutes from him.
  • Options
    Agreed when watching on Saturday during the warm up he certainly looked more of coach than a player 
  • Options
    Well, the management team are lacking a coach right now.

While Jacko is holding the reigns and Euelly the Assistant's role, it stands to reason that a senior player is for now at least, plugging the vacancy and gaining hands on experience.

• Options
    Pearce or Watson to be JJ's first team coach?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Watson to be JJ's first team coach driver?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Well, the management team are lacking a coach right now.

While Jacko is holding the reigns and Euelly the Assistant's role, it stands to reason that a senior player is for now at least, plugging the vacancy and gaining hands on experience.

I imagine that was originally going to be Pearce's role but he's had to be more active on the playing side than first anticipated/hoped for. 
  • Options
    Watson is older than Pearce, and clearly nearer retirement on the pitch
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Watson was a very good player, experience counts for an awful lot. But when it's time to hang up your boots it's time, he's probably just about at that point, but no doubt he has an awful lot to offer from the sidelines and from all accounts he's very 'Pratley' like around the place. Sometimes you need that experienced head around, but then in an ideal world we'd have kept Pratley as he'd still get some game time whereas I don't think bar devastating injuries decimating the squad we'll see more than the odd 5 minutes from him.
    Probably slightly more past it than Andy Hughes was, but hopefully he has the same kind of presence with the younger players
  • Options
    To be fair he has alot of experience and if the accounts are true that he is a great influence to have around we could do alot worse than having him in a coaching role
  • Options
    Noticed during the gateshead game that he was in Jacko's ear a lot when the camera panned to our bench. Definitely not the player he once was but he seems to be popular
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    ross1 said:
    Watson to be JJ's first team coach driver?

Watson for sure. I sense Pearce is partial to a bit of road rage.