Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson signed (page 14 - Jun 2021, signs 1 year extension)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I think he’s decent, bit overrated by some on here but a shrewd signing none the less. Him and Pratley in the same midfield - NO. 
    Agree with the Pratley comment. Watson, Shinnie & Morgan plus one more in middle Would switch between JFC & Williams for final spot. 
  • Options
    I think he’s decent, bit overrated by some on here but a shrewd signing none the less. Him and Pratley in the same midfield - NO. 
    Agree with the Pratley comment. Watson, Shinnie & Morgan plus one more in middle Would switch between JFC & Williams for final spot. 
    I think Gilbey is a better bet than either of those. Good competition either way 
  • Options
    He's incredibly slow, and that explains about 90% of my misgivings about him. But apart from that he's generally good. But so slow. But good. Etc 
  • Options
    Could be in the minority here but Watson would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.
    I am with you here. I feel like he has really grown into the side after a little bit of an uninspiring start.
  • Options
    Doing a job for a year. Fine by me 
  • Options
    I was talking to someone about Jamie Vardy recently, and they said 'footballers lose their pace at 35. Watch him next year. It'll suddenly be gone'. Whether this happens remains to be seen, but Watson choosing not to stay at Big School FC might have had a modicum of self-realisation or it 
  • Options
    Javier Zanetti and a few others being freakish exceptions 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I was talking to someone about Jamie Vardy recently, and they said 'footballers lose their pace at 35. Watch him next year. It'll suddenly be gone'. Whether this happens remains to be seen, but Watson choosing not to stay at Big School FC might have had a modicum of self-realisation or it 
    Jamie Vardy relies on pace a lot more than players like Watson though. Won’t be half the player when it does go. I don’t think players lose pace at a certain age, it’s dependant on quite a few factors. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His brain and reading of the game makes up for his lack of pace , the amount of positional interceptions he does each game is unreal .
    Second name on my team sheet behind Gunter at right back .
    Its why John Terry lasted so long at the very top - If you can read where the ball is going, you dont need pace... Pace is over-rated unless your an attacking player, its there to get you out of trouble when you've already made a mistake
  • Options
    He had a slightly slow start while he got match sharp but since then I think he’s been excellent. He’s the sort of midfielder some fans never appreciate but managers certainly do. He’s a good passer of the ball so the one thing I’d like to see from him is to be a bit more positive with his passing and opt for the sideways or backwards pass a little less often. Case in point was Saturday, first half he was mostly content just to retain possession, but for Williams’ goal in the second half he picks up the ball deep but dinks a lovely pass forward to Maddison despite being closed down. That early pass gives Maddison space and he plays it early forward to Gunter who in turn finds acres and picks out Jonny early, again in space. Not all down to Watson but he set the tone with that initial pass, one I’m sure that would’ve gone back to Pearce in the first half. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    He had a slightly slow start while he got match sharp but since then I think he’s been excellent. He’s the sort of midfielder some fans never appreciate but managers certainly do. He’s a good passer of the ball so the one thing I’d like to see from him is to be a bit more positive with his passing and opt for the sideways or backwards pass a little less often. Case in point was Saturday, first half he was mostly content just to retain possession, but for Williams’ goal in the second half he picks up the ball deep but dinks a lovely pass forward to Maddison despite being closed down. That early pass gives Maddison space and he plays it early forward to Gunter who in turn finds acres and picks out Jonny early, again in space. Not all down to Watson but he set the tone with that initial pass, one I’m sure that would’ve gone back to Pearce in the first half. 
    Chicken and egg

He can make the pass because someone else has run into space.

He was also involved in the passing triangle to set Aneke free to shoot that lead to JFC's goal.

He's had bad games and good games but some people need a scapegoat.  For two seasons that was Pratley, now it's Watson.
  • Options
    Chicken and egg

He was also involved in the passing triangle to set Aneke free to shoot that lead to JFC's goal.

He's had bad games and good games but some people need a scapegoat.  For two seasons that was Pratley, now it's Watson.
    I don't agree Pratley was a scapegoat last season, certainly was in his first season with us. 

Also agree about Watson, some people have already decided he's slow and past it. Actually when he moves he's quicker than I thought, and still has that cool head we need. 
  • Options
    Chicken and egg

I don't agree Pratley was a scapegoat last season, certainly was in his first season with us. 

Also agree about Watson, some people have already decided he's slow and past it. Actually when he moves he's quicker than I thought, and still has that cool head we need. 
    For certain people, or for a certain person, he was.

But I agree, some made  their minds up and they are very slow to change.
  • Options
    Chicken and egg

You've obviously noticed an individual which is fair enough as probably warranted. Generally though I feel Pratley was pretty appreciated last season. 

It's natural to form an early opinion on some players. I have done that this season with Bogle. Wouldn't say he's a scapegoat in my eyes, I just don't rate him. Will hold my hands up if he proves me wrong though,  and I hope he does. Some fans not capable of that, their September opinion will also be their May one. 
  • Options
    Chicken and egg

You've obviously noticed an individual which is fair enough as probably warranted. Generally though I feel Pratley was pretty appreciated last season. 

It's natural to form an early opinion on some players. I have done that this season with Bogle. Wouldn't say he's a scapegoat in my eyes, I just don't rate him. Will hold my hands up if he proves me wrong though,  and I hope he does. Some fans not capable of that, their September opinion will also be their May one. 
    Agree, most fans could see what Pratley brought to the table.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His brain and reading of the game makes up for his lack of pace , the amount of positional interceptions he does each game is unreal .
    Second name on my team sheet behind Gunter at right back .
    Can't disagree with any of this.  (Apart from playing Watson behind Gunter at right back). 
  • Options
    Ben is one of those players who can play football and he knows how to play football.
  • Options
    Ben is one of those players who can play football and he knows how to play football.
    Thanks but any views on Watson 

: - )
  • Options
    I disagreed with use of Pratley in any sort role higher up the pitch than DM last season (and we got relegated not scoring many goals didn't we) but I think if we totted up my player marks for him it'd be about average. Certainly less a scapegoat than a symbol of how technically limited players were expected to create play due to our lack of squad depth.

As for Watson, I've been alternatively impressed and unimpressed this season, depending on how much there's been a Scott Fraser type to give him the complete runaround. Undoubtedly he's a decent (if sometimes negative) user of the ball, and the yellow cards have dried up, but Pratley is definitely the more all-action option in that role.

Interested in how that makes me a scapegoater, especially coming from someone whose Naby Sarr voodoo doll was in evidence every time he spoke of him. And speaking of which, scapegoats are collectively-decided. I alone cannot scapegoat someone, but I sure as hell will defend almost anyone who is a scapegoat. Current project: poor old Omar Bogle. Must do better: Alex Gilbey. 
  • Options
    I’ve not been wowed and expected more if I’m honest. Still hoping that could happen. 
  • Options
    I’ve not been wowed and expected more if I’m honest. Still hoping that could happen. 
    Think you're past it at your age.
  • Options
    Just very galling to see myself repeatedly passive-aggressively called out for 'scapegoating' a player I'd described a few posts earlier as 'good' ffs
  • Options
    Kinsella didn’t have any pace?
  • Options
    Kinsella didn’t have any pace?
    Kinsella was (and probably still is) quicker than Watson.