Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson signed (page 14 - Jun 2021, signs 1 year extension)

Comments

• Options

He's signed for a year, with an option for a further year. It's not as if he's costing a fortune.

And even at 35, if he's still sharp and mobile, can run the midfield with leadership qualities - then Watson may be just what we need for this season. If he can help lead us back to the Championship, then he's proved his worth.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    There is a significant gap between League One and the Championship so he looks a decent signing.
  • Options
    still a good solid and experienced professional .. welcome Ben and all the very best in your time @ CAFC 
  • Options
    Excluding the Nigel love in reference come across really well. I was pleased that he played in the paint trophy on Tuesday. For someone with almost 500 matches you can forgiven him for not wanting to play against a Brighton academy team. Got a good feeling he will be an important player for us.  
  • Options
    from wiki .. 'Watson won an FA Cup winners medal in 2013, by scoring a stoppage time header and the only goal of the game against Manchester City.[5] This was the first time Wigan Athletic had won the FA Cup'.

I had forgotten about this 
    :)  :):D
  • Options
    Interesting that he hasn't started coaching badges yet as he sees himself playing for a while
  • Options
    500 games and never played below Champ level......quality signing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Right I think he is becoming the early season marmite player.

I have given him pelters other have given him man of the match.

I think he has been painful to watch and actually lacked any class or grace you would get from pratley.

Bowyer says he needs game time, so I'm not calling for him to be dropped, in addition I think he did well stifling balls being delivered into the box.

But his challenges are clumsy, his passing seems to be more about getting the ball away from him rather than anything meaningful and those long shots tonight we're carbon copies of a disastrous technique. Anyway we will see how much we miss him the fame after the next one he plays!!!
  • Options
    His shots were indeed terrible but that's not what he's there for. What do you mean by lacked class or grace?
  • Options
    Decent today. 7.5/10 for me.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Don’t half like a card, he’s got more bookings than Adele!
  • Options
    He did fine in the second half, apart from the braindead booking, but we really don't need him and Pratley together in midfield
  • Options
    We should have enough players that have the flair and ability to make something happen from our choices in Midfield

Definitely need a Watson or Pratley to do the dirty work that doesnt necessarily get the plaudits
  • Options
    Forest manager last year said he was their engine 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not convinced. I think he's a yard behind the play quite often and his passing has been...not ideal. But maybe he's finding his feet here.
  • Options
    I thought he was very good tonight. Once everyone’s fit I see the midfield being a diamond with Watson, Gilbey, Shinnie and Maddison as the 4.
  • Options
    Thought he did better tonight. I’m sure he’ll look better next to someone more attack minded than Pratley as well. 

Agree that his tackling is too clumsy though and given the choice between the two at the moment I’d stick with Prats 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    He needs game time , don’t think we’ll see him at his best until he’s played at least 10 games, and gets up to speed.
  • Options
    I thought he was very good tonight. Once everyone’s fit I see the midfield being a diamond with Watson, Gilbey, Shinnie and Maddison as the 4.
    I was thinking the same, but where does that leave Doughty? I would say as an attacking LB but Maatsen has that covered on tonight's performance. Maybe Shinnie drops out when you have Gilbey and Maddison in the team, not 100% sure they can all fit in together. 
  • Options
    I think the thing alot are saying is a player like him or pratley.

Why do we keep seeing both? 

I don't intend to judge him on attacking, but again controversial, but the centre backs seem to make better passing choices
  • Options
    He was not our best or worst today.

Personally think he did alright today.
  • Options
    A real marmite player is Watson  . Bit disappointed with him so far although he had his best game today .