Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akin Famewo - sold to Sheff Wed by Norwich (p13)

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2022
    Potentially a very good player at league 1 level but was going nowhere with us. Would have been interesting to see what Garner could have made of him but I’m not particularly grieving for him. 
    I assume he watched the videos and told whoever he needs to tell that he’s not worth £500k or whatever it cost Massive.

There would be people having fits if we spent that kind of dosh on him.
  • Options
    Potentially a very good player at league 1 level but was going nowhere with us. Would have been interesting to see what Garner could have made of him but I’m not particularly grieving for him. 
    Except backwards unfortunately.  Decent the first season, poor the next.
  • Options
    Had a poor season for us like many but the potentials there. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up being a reasonable Championship player in the future. 

That being said I’m not fussed we haven’t got him back and I’m hopeful we’ll have better.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Average player, thinks he’s better than he is.  Definitely not Championship quality 
    His just signed for a championship team.
    Reminds me of when my old man said your house ain't worth 500k , when it sold for 500k.
  • Options
    Would have him back under a different manager, but if we intend on playing out from the back and knocking it about, he isn't the guy for the job.
  • Options
    Can’t believe they’ve signed him after his performance there. Llera at Colchester levels of shocking.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    cabbles said:
    Average player, thinks he’s better than he is.  Definitely not Championship quality 
    His just signed for a championship team.
    Reminds me of when my old man said your house ain't worth 500k , when it sold for 500k.

Sheff Wed are League One (or I've been whooshed/ missed your point)
  • Options
    physically, he's a championship + player but lacks some of the footballing stuff and not particularly good in the air
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I've said before, the fact he's signing for another League 1 speaks volumes about his progression, or lack thereof. If he got any better in his time with us he'd be in the Norwich squad, or on loan to someone in the championship by now 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    His distribution last season was PAINFUL
    This. I'm not going to get upset about a player that made Jason Pearce's passing look like Virgil Van Dijk in comparison 
  • Options
    Excellent. That's at least 2 games I still get watch him smash it 30 yards up pitch out of play. 
  • Options
    But for his woeful back pass in 20-21 we would have made play offs.  Came back last yr and was garbage.  Should fit in well at Weds who seem to be gearing up to play long hoof ball.  Talentless in possession.  Poor mans Titus Bramble without.  Good luck to him.  Glad he has been part of our clear out.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Didn't realise Wednesday hadn't paid any fees in the last couple of years.
    I’d say Wednesday are in trouble if they plan on playing him left back. 
    I can play left back.

I'm shit there, in fact I'm shit everywhere, but I can play there and if he's prepared to give it a go then maybe I should dust my boots off too..
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Didn't realise Wednesday hadn't paid any fees in the last couple of years.
    He can also play left back.......

Yeah "left back" in the changing room

Liability last season, completely lost form
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Would have him back under a different manager, but if we intend on playing out from the back and knocking it about, he isn't the guy for the job.
    Definitely, still would have taken a punt (price dependant) but not with the way we're going to be playing this season. 
  • Options
    He'll probably turn into Beckenbauer now and be transferred to the PL for 6m within a couple of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve Brown was not a fan
  • Options
    Absolutely fine if the play was in front of him, but any passes in behind exposed his inability to read the game and caused all sorts of problems.

Passing game was poor which opponents worked out pretty quickly.

He’s an OK acquisition for a League One side but I don’t see it as a loss that he’s going elsewhere.
  • Options
    SOTF said:
    Absolutely fine if the play was in front of him, but any passes in behind exposed his inability to read the game and caused all sorts of problems.

Passing game was poor which opponents worked out pretty quickly.

He’s an OK acquisition for a League One side but I don’t see it as a loss that he’s going elsewhere.
    My thoughts too. Slow and not great on the ball, but defends well enough for League One.  
  • Options
    Should suit a hoofball team like Wendies, if there is one thing Akin can do its aimlessly kick it up the pitch.

An okay defender, who started really well for us and gradually got worse and worse, poor in the air for a CB, poor with the passer of the ball and seemed to think he could dribble when he couldn't.

The idea that he could play left back is also a bit baffling.
  • Options
    Good dribbler, let's not re write history. Agreed about his passing though, not bothered about not having him back
  • Options
    I found it was mostly his attitude. If he couldn't be bothered or he wasnt playing well..he would just lose focus. 

Think he is an okay defender with delusions of grandeur of being a ball playing defender. Needs to sort the basics out first. 
  • Options
    Putting together a nice squad at Sheffield. Clearly going to be doing the opposite to us and trying to physically dominated other clubs. Keeping Bannan was huge plus for them.

• Options
    Putting together a nice squad at Sheffield. Clearly going to be doing the opposite to us and trying to physically dominated other clubs. Keeping Bannan was huge plus for them.

Thought they were a dodgy, skint and under FA,EFL sanction football club?

Oh well, magic'd away I suppose?
  • Options
    I thought Famewo was a bit of a mystery last season. He progressed some elements of his game- pushing forwards with the ball, using his strength against opponents - but went backwards in terms of positional sense. To the point where it was non-existent. To get the best out of him, I fear he needs anoher centre half to guide him and that is a luxury and not sustainable as if you have such a player, what happens when he is injured.

I think it was the right decision to steer clear as it would have been a risk and cost us money we can better spend elsewhere IMO.
  • Options

Going down the Rotherham route.