Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akin Famewo - sold to Sheff Wed by Norwich (p13)

Comments

• Options
    Naby would be a great piece of business... Would be very surprised if we got him back though.
    So would i. Top 6 Championship side to midtable League 1.....mmmmm
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Akin Famewo for a fee
    Or
    Naby Sarr for a free

Easy one for me (and Leuth)
    And me. And we could have played him upfront during our striker crisis too.
  • Options
    Wasn't Naby going to join Bowyer at Birmingham in the last window?

Would love to see him return but suspect that he would go to St Andrews. 
  • Options
    We want our Naby back, we want our Naby back!
  • Options
    His performances have regressed since last season. If we don't sign him I don't think he'll be missed
    Spot on, I rated him last season and thought he was a very good signing this summer, but he's been poor this season.
  • Options
    You would like to think he'd do well in this cack league next season for us though...a slight gamble I would say
  • Options
    Akin Famewo for a fee
    Or
    Naby Sarr for a free

Easy one for me (and Leuth)
    And me. And we could have played him upfront during our striker crisis too.
    Indeed. 
    He scored a blinder at Wembley so he knows where the goal is 
  • Options
    From what I was told today we won’t be signing him, too many championship clubs in for him (yes really) for next season 
  • Options
    From what I was told today we won’t be signing him, too many championship clubs in for him (yes really) for next season 
    A fresh start might be good for him
    and us, assuming we replace with the right player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    A fresh start might be good for him
    and us, assuming we replace with the right player.
    He will pay in the champ next season and we’ll all ask where that player was this season 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:
    I remember when the wiser posters on this board said he is easily the best defender on this league. Looks like everybody suffers with hopfulitis.
    Who said this?
    A lot of people and it wasn't an unpopular opinion either.  Whether they are wise or not is open to debate. 

Famewo is like 90% of our squad.  He is really good at somethings and awful at others.   Can we negate the negatives and highlight the positives of enough of them at anyone time? 

If we cast our minds back to when Jackson was caretaker the system seemed to do exactly that.  Then it flipped back.

Back on subject, we need 3 more center backs for next season.  Are we going to get 3 better than him?  Is he a better long term bet than Inniss and Pearce?

Knowing us our 3 new center backs for next season will be Inniss, Pearce and Gunter. 
  • Options
    Gutting, feel like with the right players around him he has so much potential. I actually think him and a Clare would make an excellent pairing at the back. 

Makes sense Jackson isn’t playing him if he’s off, may as well persist with players that will be here now we are looking safe 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:
    I remember when the wiser posters on this board said he is easily the best defender on this league. Looks like everybody suffers with hopfulitis.
    Who said this?
    A lot of people and it wasn't an unpopular opinion either.  Whether they are wise or not is open to debate. 

Famewo is like 90% of our squad.  He is really good at somethings and awful at others.   Can we negate the negatives and highlight the positives of enough of them at anyone time? 

If we cast our minds back to when Jackson was caretaker the system seemed to do exactly that.  Then it flipped back.

There was a time when just about everyone on here thought Famewo was very decent. Fickle football fans, eh? 

It's a funny thing, when the team is in form and on a good run, players are full of confidence  and performing well.
    In that 6 game winning streak in the October last season, Famewo and Inniss were a formidable partnership  - and everyone, yes more or less everyone, was lauding them both. Injury soon struck the 2 of them, not returning until the final run in.

This season in a team too often performing poorly, Famewo has defended generally well enough but struggled at times with his passing. He's not the only one though, is he?
    In an inconsistant and unimpressive side, players tend to often perform inconsistantly and unimpressively.

Does that make him a bad player? Not really, it just means he's out of form in a team out of form.
    Put the right combination of players around him in a side on a decent run, and the same 'poor' player performs well. Confidence, eh?

It's ever been thus.

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Would hate to see Naby back, geezer is a calamity at the back.  
    Hard disagree. Has the exact skillset needed for the ball-playing LCB role. Doubt we'll get him though, so it's moot.
    You clearly do not watch the Quest Highlights show, he regularly gives the ball away, slices across his own box or towards his own goal and has a few OG's to his name as well. 

If top two is the aim next season Naby is not the answer.  
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Hard disagree. Has the exact skillset needed for the ball-playing LCB role. Doubt we'll get him though, so it's moot.
    You clearly do not watch the Quest Highlights show, he regularly gives the ball away, slices across his own box or towards his own goal and has a few OG's to his name as well. 

I doubt you've watched many of the Huddersfield highlights and as I'm sure you are aware he hasn't featured much recently.

Just the usual lazy arguments...
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

I doubt you've watched many of the Huddersfield highlights and as I'm sure you are aware he hasn't featured much recently.

I watch all of the games from the Championship down to League Two so yes, I have watched all of the Huddersfield highlights shown this season. Not aware of how much he has played as I am not interested nor follow his progress.

However I recall seeing his erratic defending on the show along with hearing his name mentioned.

No lazy argument from me, I do not want him anywhere near our first team again.  
  • Options
    This might get a few lols, but I think Akin is twice the player Naby is. Brings the ball out better, quicker, more composed, better tackler. 

Akin is the kind of defender with the right team and with some confidence you go through the leagues with. I see him as a potential premier league centre back with the right coaching and run in the team, never saw that in Naby. 

Naby had to be dropped for Pearce in the big moment. As much as I loved him as a player, there was always composure issues

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Akin and Naby are similar in the poor mistakes they make at times. Sarr gave some worldy passes which Famewo can only achieve in his dreams. Akin on a run with the ball looks a better player than Naby; defending about the same.

The sad truth is all players over 20 that will be playing for Cafc in League 1 next season will have weaknesses, including the present squad and if Famewo is bought by Cafc it will ironically highlight this point.

We are League 1 and Lavelle, Famewo, Deji(what's happened to him ?)and Clare Will probably be the contenders for the 3 in the back.

My prediction in August that Ryan Inniss would play less than the 13 matches he managed last season is unfortunately coming to fruition. Such a shame for the "Doorman'" as his abilities at defending and attacking set pieces are sorely missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:
    Who said this?

There was a time when just about everyone on here thought Famewo was very decent. Fickle football fans, eh? 

It's a funny thing, when the team is in form and on a good run, players are full of confidence  and performing well.
    In that 6 game winning streak in the October last season, Famewo and Inniss were a formidable partnership  - and everyone, yes more or less everyone, was lauding them both. Injury soon struck the 2 of them, not returning until the final run in.

This season in a team too often performing poorly, Famewo has defended generally well enough but struggled at times with his passing. He's not the only one though, is he?
    In an inconsistant and unimpressive side, players tend to often perform inconsistantly and unimpressively.

Does that make him a bad player? Not really, it just means he's out of form in a team out of form.
    Put the right combination of players around him in a side on a decent run, and the same 'poor' player performs well. Confidence, eh?

It's ever been thus.

I think he is decent to good.  He isn't as good as some made out when he first came, nor is he as bad as some are making out now.   If he was our worst problem we wouldn't be were we are now.  Again, you could say that about a lot of our players. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:
    Who said this?

It's ever been thus.

I think he is decent to good.  He isn't as good as some made out when he first came, nor is he as bad as some are making out now.   If he was our worst problem we wouldn't be were we are now.  Again, you could say that about a lot of our players. 
    I agree. It will be interesting to see how he performs now with a more active midfield actually available for a pass.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

I watch all of the games from the Championship down to League Two so yes, I have watched all of the Huddersfield highlights shown this season. Not aware of how much he has played as I am not interested nor follow his progress.

However I recall seeing his erratic defending on the show along with hearing his name mentioned.

So just a vague opinion then. If you had been watching the highlights or had any real interest you'd probably be better informed.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

So just a vague opinion then. If you had been watching the highlights or had any real interest you'd probably be better informed.
  • Options
    Famewo will play at a higher level than Sarr ever will.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think Akin is a very different player in a 2CB pairing. Don't think playing as a wide CB suits him at all.
    Agree with this entirely. He regressed as part of a back 3 as opposed to being part of a pairing.

Sadly, if Jacko is going to be here long term and is going to persist with 352/532 then maybe Akin isn't the right option. Despite the fact I think he has all the tools to go to the top. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him tear it up somewhere else next year in a back 4.
  • Options
    I tend to despair if it see Famewo and Leko in the side now. I’ll be the first to admit they are two very talented footballers and really should be playing at a much higher level but imo they too easily switch off. Obviously I’m no expert, just a life long fan so what do I know, but sometimes you have to just consider there’s a reason they’ve ended up in League 1 and now not even in the starting eleven and, unlike others in the team and squad where I think there’s a real danger somebody will come in for them or they will naturally move on to better things, with those two I’d send them back tomorrow.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think Akin is a very different player in a 2CB pairing. Don't think playing as a wide CB suits him at all.
    Whereas Naby is the opposite, as he's a bit of a concern in a back 4, but suits playing as the left CB in a 3 where he has the freedom to bring the ball out and be progressive with the ball. That assist for Taylor at Forest for example.
  • Options
    Famewo's strengths are his speed, upper body strength and ball carrying, his weaknesses are positional sense, aerial ability and distribution. He might flourish in the right environment, but I don't see it as a sure thing without improving at least two of his weaknesses by a large degree.