Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    Personally I don't care that he's not a hard worker. It's like moaning that Pratley doesn't score enough goals or Purrington doesn't bend them in from 25 yards, he's just not that type of player. 

As long as he has the players around him doing the dirty work, he'll be successful. 

Although actually, despite a great assist and lovely finish, I thought he put a shift in (especially considering his fitness) and it was actually on the ball that he looked poor. Rustiness I'm sure as his record speaks for itself. 
    You might not but I think you'll find that LB does care. And he has said as much. We know from the lesson LB learnt himself at Leeds with George Graham that he expects more and his own limited use of Williams and Oztumer says as much.

In the interview in which Maddison said that he prefers the north and the people too Maddison said that he likes the attacking side of the game and will defend "when he needs to". It's a question as to whether Maddison's definition of "defending" is the same as LB's that will dictate whether he stays in the side.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out, as who's to say that making the guy track back and defend won't then affect his output at the other end.

He played 249 times for Peterborough in 5.5 seasons so they obviously didn't have any worries about his work rate.

But we also have to remember he's 27, has spent all but 7 games of his career in the lower leagues and is currently playing in league one. If he could score 9-10 goals a season, create 15 assists, track back, defend, and had an amazing attitude then he'd probably be playing in the premier league. 
  • Options
    Is it just me or did he catch a cheeky arm/elbow across the bows when scoring yesterday? Definitely went down pretty heavily but no idea if he actually took a wallop or just indulging in some amateur dramatics.

• Options
    Personally I don't care that he's not a hard worker. It's like moaning that Pratley doesn't score enough goals or Purrington doesn't bend them in from 25 yards, he's just not that type of player. 

As long as he has the players around him doing the dirty work, he'll be successful. 

Although actually, despite a great assist and lovely finish, I thought he put a shift in (especially considering his fitness) and it was actually on the ball that he looked poor. Rustiness I'm sure as his record speaks for itself. 
    You might not but I think you'll find that LB does care. And he has said as much. We know from the lesson LB learnt himself at Leeds with George Graham that he expects more and his own limited use of Williams and Oztumer says as much.

In the interview in which Maddison said that he prefers the north and the people too Maddison said that he likes the attacking side of the game and will defend "when he needs to". It's a question as to whether Maddison's definition of "defending" is the same as LB's that will dictate whether he stays in the side.

I agree. Bowyer's style demands work from everyone all over the pitch. It's not comparable to Pratley not scoring enough goals because that's not what he's there to do, but everyone in the team is there to work. Bowyer will tell him what he needs to do though and it's up to him to start doing it, because you can't teach what Maddison can do with a ball easily but you can definitely learn workrate and concentration, as Albie is proving.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Great to have someone around with a bit of character, something we desperately lack on/off the pitch and in the stands. 
    Does he have a bit of a character?
    He doesn't seem to smile much and when he scored, it didn't look like many players congratulated him.
    Although I only watched the highlights and the camera cut away quite quickly.
  • Options

It'll be interesting to see how it works out, as who's to say that making the guy track back and defend won't then affect his output at the other end.

He played 249 times for Peterborough in 5.5 seasons so they obviously didn't have any worries about his work rate.

But we also have to remember he's 27, has spent all but 7 games of his career in the lower leagues and is currently playing in league one. If he could score 9-10 goals a season, create 15 assists, track back, defend, and had an amazing attitude then he'd probably be playing in the premier league. 

But he clearly felt that he was good enough to play at a higher level - it's only because Championship clubs didn't come knocking that he didn't kick a ball between February and October. He was doing a Taylor but it didn't come off for him. Not in the short term anyway but, hopefully, he will get his head down and prove by helping us to go up and by playing for us in that division next season. 
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if he starts once he is fit.  My biggest concern this year is that we have not generated a lot of scoring chances.  We have been very clinical on the ones we do generate but can we keep that up.  He certainly is proven in this league for his creative ability even if he is wasteful at times and lacks some defensive aptitude.  However if he is playing at the tip of the diamond midfield as long as he does the minimum defensively, it might be worth the trade off.  It is not like Williams really adds much defensively from the same position.  Maybe Shinnie or Gilbey can be that attacking midfielder but I feel they are best served on the sides of the diamond.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When he was 1-1 on with the keeper we all knew it was going in the back of the net. How many players do we have in the squad when given that chance we would be absolutely certain it’s a goal? Can’t be many. Lovely finish and deserved a goal for his performance.

Haven’t seen a Charlton player finish like Maddison’s goal yesterday for a while, can’t remember last, who used to finish like that for us?
    Ademola probably
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Great to have someone around with a bit of character, something we desperately lack on/off the pitch and in the stands. 
    He doesn't seem to smile much and when he scored, it didn't look like many players congratulated him.
    It may of course be nothing, but I have noticed on social media that not many of the current squad have interacted with any of his posts. I do wonder if he is finding it hard to settle in down here.
  • Options
    When he was 1-1 on with the keeper we all knew it was going in the back of the net. How many players do we have in the squad when given that chance we would be absolutely certain it’s a goal? Can’t be many. Lovely finish and deserved a goal for his performance.

Haven’t seen a Charlton player finish like Maddison’s goal yesterday for a while, can’t remember last, who used to finish like that for us?
    Riccardo Fuller perhaps?
  • Options

Probably although I think that's wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying players shouldn't work hard for the team at points, but asking Maddison to be like Bowyer was is wrong in my opinion. He's not that type of players but brings other qualities. It will be tricky to balance that because Maddison will be a liability in some games, but then a match winner in others. 

I do think you're right though, Maddison won't start as many games here as he did at Peterborough due to his style and what Bowyer expects. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Couple of interesting responses from Marcus in the summer. (In the comments)

• Options
    edited November 2020
    shine166 said:
    Hes an absolute shit house, him and Taylor would have been great together. We are a pretty beige club, non offensive but offended by everything.. hes a breath of fresh air imo
  • Options
    Great finish, keep that up and me and him will be going places (not me and him).
    At last you've finally come out and there's no shame in that, well done!
  • Options

But then Bowyer played in a different position to Maddison

And with Jonny and Oz, the problem was the lack of end product, if Jonny scored 8 goals and set up 10 a season he'd be the first name on the teamsheet
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Which ones? I spent a few minutes searching but instagram comments seem tricky to navigate
  • Options
    Guy is already becoming a talking point as being a potential rotten apple. When he moved to Hull almost everyone was thinking this. There are some warning signs, let's be honest. Just have to hope we are reading into it too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But then Bowyer played in a different position to Maddison

And with Jonny and Oz, the problem was the lack of end product, if Jonny scored 8 goals and set up 10 a season he'd be the first name on the teamsheet
    I still think that LB would expect him to work as hard as he could. LB played top flight football and he would expect Maddison to work as hard as the Liverpool front three not less.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Which ones? I spent a few minutes searching but instagram comments seem tricky to navigate
    Selection (or all, I'm not sure) here

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    The post was titled 
    "Small reminder to myself and everyone else I can actually play football & give me that channce, as sitting at home got boring after a month"

Then someone says
    "Ur only without a club because uou demand too high a wage! Maybe if U get your arse out of bed and don't play XBOX so much you would have a job."
    MM responds with 
    "I haven't made any wage demands to anybody so stop trying to make me look/sound bad when what your saying isn't true."

Someone else called him a clown and accused him of believing he was better than Ronaldo. 
    He responded to that with
    "Didn't realise you had met me & had a conversation with me, if you had you would realise this 'attitude' people throw around is absolute nonsense."

Another says:
    "Obviously asking for too much money isn't he?"

Reply:
    "Dunno where this has come from as I haven't made any wage demands I just want to play fooball again"

Finally another person said
    "Should never have threw your toys out of the pram at Posh you would still have a job now (Shrug Emoji) I would take you back but doubt the owners and managers would now."
    Marcus replied
    "If only you knew what really went on & how I was treated not the other way round (shrug emoji)"

Reading through the thread it was clear Sunderland fans thought they'd get him no problem and Posh fans all thought he'd made wage demands too high to sign a new contract. 

• Options
    shine166 said:
    He owns a tattoo parlour
    Any idea where ? 
    Peterborough
  • Options
    Can be a match winner on his day and had plenty of those days at Peterborough, but is not a grafter when out of possession'
    I Live and work near Peterborough, seen him a few times and always thought he looked quality. Peterborough supporting friends all rate his ability but at times frustrated by his effort or lack of it!.
  • Options
    We haven't had many flawed geniuses in our time. Paulo Di Canio (though he didn't cause any problems), David Whyte... any more?

• Options
    Chunes said:
    We haven't had many flawed geniuses in our time. Paulo Di Canio (though he didn't cause any problems), David Whyte... any more?

Tony Watt :D
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why are some fans so intent on unearthing negativity about a player. 

He signed for us, Bowyer and Gallen have wanted him since at least January. So far bar a couple of knocks and no preseason (probably related) I have seen nothing of concern, bar a touch of greediness in front of goal. 
    Exactly, i think he could become a great player for us, a cult hero.