Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    I'll have to buy more live streams but he reminds me of Ricky Holmes which can only be a good thing.

I'm not worrying about any supposed negativity, Bowyer and Gallen knew the deal before he signed.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Guy is already becoming a talking point as being a potential rotten apple. When he moved to Hull almost everyone was thinking this. There are some warning signs, let's be honest. Just have to hope we are reading into it too much.
    what warning signs since he's joined us ?

He's contributed more in 6 weeks (100 mins of football) that oztumer did in the whole time he was here. Imagine what he'll be like when not rusty from 9 months out. 
    That noone celebrated his goal with him enthusiastically and that not many teammates interact with his social media, and that his tattoos are going to look shit when he's 60 😅

More poignantly though, his crap diet, Peterborough fans complaining about his attitude all along, and Bows saying he needs to work harder.

Don't get me wrong though, I like him and a maverick could be just what we need, but I can't deny there is a nagging concern.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    shine166 said:
    Guy is already becoming a talking point as being a potential rotten apple. When he moved to Hull almost everyone was thinking this. There are some warning signs, let's be honest. Just have to hope we are reading into it too much.
    what warning signs since he's joined us ?

He's contributed more in 6 weeks (100 mins of football) that oztumer did in the whole time he was here. Imagine what he'll be like when not rusty from 9 months out. 
    That noone celebrated his goal with him enthusiastically and that not many teammates interact with his social media, and that his tattoos are going to look shit when he's 60 😅

More poignantly though, his crap diet, Peterborough fans complaining about his attitude all along, and Bows saying he needs to work harder.

Don't get me wrong though, I like him and a maverick could be just what we need, but I can't deny there is a nagging concern.
    Ah so apart from Bowyer saying about his team play, there's absolutely nothing new then ? He's started 1 game ffs off of the back of 9 months not playing and been injured most of the last 6 weeks. 

As for his team mates not celebrating, most of them were still 60 yards away from him due to his break away..doubt they would be charging all the way up the other end to celebrate scoring in the pizza express trophy that we are already out of. 

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I was one of the people who didn't want to sign him, but the day he became a Charlton player he got a clean slate from me. I haven't seen anything worth worrying about so far. Have seen some flashes of brilliance on the pitch.
  • Options
    He also hasn’t played in our first team so to speak enough........ when he is surrounding by the first XI in a league match from the start it will be even easier for him to make an impact 
  • Options
    Good interview, has the monotone northern accent and express yourself on social media kinda vibe. 

He wants to do well, you can sense it. It means something to him to prove himself not just being a Peterborough "flash in the pan."
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    No doubting his talent, if we can get him match fit that would be great, providing he doesn’t get injured I think he’s a work in progress, and don’t expect to see the best of him until the new year when he’s played 10 or so games, and got his match minutes up.

Hes just got to listen to Lee, take in what Lees saying to him and apply it, if he does that he’ll be fine, it’s pretty straight forward.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's 4 years from now and Tommy boy has fulfilled his and every Charlton fans dream and we're going into the season about to start our maiden Champions league campaign with a 90 million warchest........

......spent on a bunch of cloggers and 110%ers as the New Charlton Athletic scouting dictates the club shall never have:
    • Any player with more than 3 tattoos 
    • Any player that shoots more than 4 times in a match 
    • Any player that shoots from further than 10 yards out
    • Any player with technical ability 
    • Any attacking player that doesn't spend 80 mins in central defence 
    • Any player that uses social media
    • Any player with a slight personality 

We dont like that sort of thing here.

Any player who crosses the halfway line while we're winning is to be put in the stocks 
  • Options
    Had a longer look at the pizza trophy game against Orient and for all that MM had his best showing, it was noticeable he didn't get involved with the first 2 goal celebrations and just 2 of his teammates jogged up for barely a handshake when he scored.  Granted that was a very young side and MM might not have spent much time with many of those lads but it ain't a good look.  JP and DO's conduct with the U23's will be starkly different today I'm sure.
  • Options
    Funny how someone said he has contributed more than Oztumer already....funny because it's pretty much true.

When was the last time we had a player who would shoot on sight?  It's been a while.

When have we had someone who got people off their seats (sofas) whenever they got on the ball? Who created a buzz around the ground... Holmes maybe....Astrit Ajdarevic maybe

He may not be the hardest grafter in the world but if we play to his strengths and other people do his running then I'll take that.  That goal the other night alone was something we haven't seen for a few years and I can't wait for him to get fitter and show what he can do.

Interestingly we have another player (Gilbey) who was in the top 5% of shots last season for the division...I wonder if people will slag him off for being greedy
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Funny how someone said he has contributed more than Oztumer already....funny because it's pretty much true.

When was the last time we had a player who would shoot on sight?  It's been a while.

When have we had someone who got people off their seats (sofas) whenever they got on the ball? Who created a buzz around the ground... Holmes maybe....Astrit Ajdarevic maybe

He may not be the hardest grafter in the world but if we play to his strengths and other people do his running then I'll take that.  That goal the other night alone was something we haven't seen for a few years and I can't wait for him to get fitter and show what he can do.

Interestingly we have another player (Gilbey) who was in the top 5% of shots last season for the division...I wonder if people will slag him off for being greedy
    This. Kind of player every teams needs when faced with a stubborn opposition whose game plan is to make life difficult and defend deep into their own half. Teams won’t be willing to sit on their 18 yards box if they’ve got someone of Maddison ability playing. 
  • Options
    I think we should remind ourselves of Ricky Holmes a few years back. We could be utter dog shite and not look like scoring in a million years and he would pop up with a goal out of the blue. It is very useful to have different types of goals in the team and Maddison should hopefully add something we have been missing in the past.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Swisdom said:

That was me and I stand by it, Oztumer had 1 great half against Forrest at the start of last season and that's about it. Maddision will have more minutes for us by Xmas than ozzy achieved in his Charlton career. 
  • Options
    Maddison is a league 1 David Ginola and if you expect him to do as much running, tackling and breaking up of play as, say, Pratley then you are setting up wrong around him. He’s signed to finish the moves/set them up, not win the ball back. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

The problem with players "shooting on sight" is that 19 times out of 20 you give the ball away.

It's exciting to watch but it's not the most effective way to play. 

Today is the 17 year anniversary of Ginola's last game for France.  If Maddison, or anyone else, did that for us in the play off final I wonder if the "at least he had a go" defence would last? 
  • Options
    I think we should remind ourselves of Ricky Holmes a few years back. We could be utter dog shite and not look like scoring in a million years and he would pop up with a goal out of the blue. It is very useful to have different types of goals in the team and Maddison should hopefully add something we have been missing in the past.
    Major difference between the two is that Ricky Holmes was humble enough to work hard for the team first, score screamers second.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major difference between the two is that Ricky Holmes was humble enough to work hard for the team first, score screamers second.

I'm not sure you can say that considering he's barely kicked a football for us yet
    Considering he’s 27 and has been notoriously poor off the ball his entire career, I can say that with a degree of confidence. 

I’m not knocking him, I don’t care as long as he plays well and scored goals - you just can’t compare the two players. Ricky Holmes worked from nothing and felt lucky to play for us so late in his career, which was the highest level he’s played. That’s certainly not the case with MM.
  • Options
    What we factually know of Maddison so far in a Charlton shirt:

- Played for only 7 minutes against Sunderland and saved us a point by defending,
    - Played 90 minutes against Orient earning an assist and goal. 

Fair enough Plymouth wasn’t great, but then this was a poor game for majority of team. 

How can you say that Maddison doesn’t work hard?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I hope someone has told him we have a very strict No Stepovers rule. 

Also every flashy winger gets labelled 'no end product.' No exceptions. 
  • Options
    What we factually know of Maddison so far in a Charlton shirt:

- Played for only 7 minutes against Sunderland and saved us a point by defending,
    - Played 90 minutes against Orient earning an assist and goal. 

Fair enough Plymouth wasn’t great, but then this was a poor game for majority of team. 

How can you say that Maddison doesn’t work hard?
    I really don’t get why this is difficult to grasp? He’s literally known throughout the entire league as a maverick player who can win a game by himself but he also dives and doesn’t work very hard for the team. 

I’m not knocking him, I don’t care. Maybe he’ll do something at Charlton that he didn’t do at Peterborough, but ask any Peterborough fan in the country and they’ll tell you all about it. 

He’s the Mesut Ozil of League One, and I’m fine with that. I was just detailing how you can’t really compare him to someone like Holmes. 
  • Options
    Also, if he’s as bad as is being made out in terms of team work, I’ve not got a scooby why we tried to pay money for him in jan and then continued pursuing him until we signed him on a free. If that’s his style, maybe Bowyer and Gallen need to take some of the slack. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Also, if he’s as bad as is being made out in terms of team work, I’ve not got a scooby why we tried to pay money for him in jan and then continued pursuing him until we signed him on a free. If that’s his style, maybe Bowyer and Gallen need to take some of the slack. 

They also signed Williams and Oztumer and LB has only started them sparingly. LB has openly said the same about Morgan, He wants them to work as hard as he did in midfield without the ball and isn't prepared to compromise on that - even if he signed them in the first place. LB said after the Plymouth game:

“If he wants to play for me he’s going to have to work harder, I know that. I don’t doubt his ability. I know that will come with time.”