Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    Agree with whoever said he’ll score more than any Charlton player this season.

Shocking business when you look at the options available to us. 
    The guy didn’t wanna be here Stu, he openly admitted it. 

Bowyer will only want players that wanna play for the shirt and tbh didn’t rate him much anyway. We made 800% in a year on him. 

2 weeks to find 2 better players.
    And potentially on less wages... 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Bloody hell, missed all the drama on this thread last night. Well done to him, nice header, reminded me a bit of Fulham away last season. Whether he would have done the business for us this year is now irrelevant (although I love the passion with which people like to argue the myriad hypothetical scenarios).  

99% of Charlton fans would have taken the £2M offer when it was made (the other 1% will pretend they wouldn’t have if he does well at QPR, but in their secret special place where they store the truth the know they would have). You can only judge the appropriateness  of your decisions based on the information you had available to you at the time. Even if he goes on to fire QPR to promotion and tears up the Premier League in 2021/22 it wouldn’t make it any less correct to have accepted a £2M offer for him on the 2nd of October 2020.
    I'm not sure the percentage is anywhere near that number, especially if you asked whether we should have sold him before any replacements arrived AND before we played Sunderland.

For example I'm twitchy, not because the fee isn't good, but because we still have to find the new strikers, and with players and agents knowing we are desperate, that'll increase the price and wage demands

And will the new players be match fit? Bonne was "oven ready" for QPR, will our signings hit the ground running when we play Wigan or will they take several weeks to get up to speed?
  • Options

Bowyer will only want players that wanna play for the shirt and tbh didn’t rate him much anyway. We made 800% in a year on him. 

So find them first, we are criminally short up front yet we sell possibly our best striker with no one lines up to replace him, that’s bad business.
  • Options
    Have said it (somewhere) on here before. When he came into the side last autumn I thought we had a real player, looked strong and committed with an eye for a goal, it looked like he knew he had to work his socks of to get a chance and that is what he did.

It then appeared to go to his agents head and then only a matter of time before it went to MBs. I can imagine that he became, by far, his agents highest profile client. Agents make money by securing new deals/selling their clients (see @PragueAddick), he was never going to get that at CAFC in div 3 with a salary cap.

I thought MB was poor after the restart last season, our worst player and a liability. Yes he was the only one that scored goals which for many is a contradiction on my assessment.

In my opinion those that point at his goals and not his play make the same mistake as people who bring me business cases that only show the income but never the costs.

I wish him well, I like his back story, no doubt he is a decent bloke maybe he will get 20 goals next season, maybe he won't. Yes it would have been better to keep him rather than have no strikers but if he didn't want to play, heart wasn't in it, negative influence (complete guess on my behalf) then he wouldn't have played anyway.

And perhaps doing it quickly meant we could free up a squad space/some money to sign somebody who does want to be here/fits our system before the international window shuts.
  • Options

So find them first, we are criminally short up front yet we sell possibly our best striker with no one lines up to replace him, that’s bad business.
    QPR were making one last offer. If we didn’t accept we would have had a centre forward, taking up wages whilst we are part of a cap, who didn’t want to be here. We had to play just 1 game without Bonne, who’s done sod all this season in a Charlton shirt, whilst we have 2 whole weeks to get it right. That’s not bad business.
    I guess we’ll know for sure when we see who the replacements are. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Good for him. One goal doesn’t necessarily mask the other failings in his game that have drawn criticism though.

Hope it works out for him though, seems a nice enough lad. 

But he was our best striker . Let’s see if we can replace him 
    He was a £2m striker. Will we spend £2m on another striker? I very much doubt it, so highly unlikely to bring in better or even like for like. 

For what it's worth, I didn't rate Bonne, for all his goals, he missed too many for me, to be rated as a quality forward. 

Sadly I fear our situation with scrabbling around at the end of the window will result in a weak strike force, yet again. That combined with a weak defence, leaves us in a vulnerable position,. In Bowyer and Thomas we trust. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Good for him. One goal doesn’t necessarily mask the other failings in his game that have drawn criticism though.

Hope it works out for him though, seems a nice enough lad. 

But he was our best striker . Let’s see if we can replace him 
    He was a £2m striker. Will we spend £2m on another striker? I very much doubt it, so highly unlikely to bring in better or even like for like. 

For what it's worth, I didn't rate Bonne, for all his goals, he missed too many for me, to be rated as a quality forward. 

Sadly I fear our situation with scrabbling around at the end of the window will result in a weak strike force, yet again. That combined with a weak defence, leaves us in a vulnerable position,. In Bowyer and Thomas we trust. 
    He was a non league player being asked to step up 3 levels, he did his best & grabbed 11 goals which helped give us a chance of staying up going into the last game. LB  didn't rate him & made it obvious by his regular criticisms in the press. It's hardly surprising that Bonne wanted to move on. It was frustrating that he missed so many chances but he did his best. I too doubt that we will bring in better, time will tell. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Obviously mixed views on MB. I don't have anything bad to say about the guy as an individual and moving on. Good luck to him. He had to make a big step up and he did reasonably well when we had the injuries through last season to Leko, Taylor, Aneke and Green, followed by Taylor's failure to play post-lockdown. He will obviously score a few goals and maybe more than 10-11 with QPR this season.

Yes, I would have preferred we had brought in one or even two strikers before he left but let's not kid ourselves, he is not a particularly good footballer. He will get a few goals with his feet and head around the six yard box but his overall play and skills are extremely average. He can't hold the ball up and lay it off to others, he is not very good at shielding the ball and doesn't bully defenders and how many times did we see him score when he is one vs one with the keeper?

Whilst Lee Bowyer was complimentary upon his leaving, I suspect he was not overly disappointed in losing him and £2M is a very good profit on what was paid for him. Hopefully for the first time in nearly 3 years he has an owner who will let him reinvest a decent chunk of that.

It may be that TS is being overly optimistic in hoping to get promotion this season but if moving on players such as Bonne, Phillips if necessary, JFC (surely he won't get much game time this season) and others allows Bowyer to pull together a decent squad, then so be it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Bonne did very well for CAFC.
    When he signed from non league he wasn't expected to start games.
    He ended up partnering Taylor and for many games ploughing a loan farrow up front.
    Last season's performances were very creditable.

This season he clearly wasn't the same player and seemed to not be getting "stuck in".
    His worst game for CAFC was his last game for CAFC.

It seems apparent from Bonne's own admission that a deal had be lined up with QPR and he wanted to go.
    This explains his relative "lack of interest" in the last couple of games.

Good luck to him.

This 100%
    The merits of getting 2 million for Bonne will be decided by the abillities of the 2 replacements.

Wasn't Lyle Taylor's worse and last game for Charlton the home 1 nil defeat to Middlesbrough before the lock down. 

Grant's sign off was the penalty miss in front of the Covered end.

Holmes worse games for Charlton were his last few games.

I believe once "players heads are turned' there is down turn in form.
  • Options
    Bonne did very well for CAFC.
    When he signed from non league he wasn't expected to start games.
    He ended up partnering Taylor and for many games ploughing a loan farrow up front.
    Last season's performances were very creditable.

This season he clearly wasn't the same player and seemed to not be getting "stuck in".
    His worst game for CAFC was his last game for CAFC.

It seems apparent from Bonne's own admission that a deal had be lined up with QPR and he wanted to go.
    This explains his relative "lack of interest" in the last couple of games.

Good luck to him.

This 100%
    The merits of getting 2 million for Bonne will be decided by the abillities of the 2 replacements.

Wasn't Lyle Taylor's worse and last game for Charlton the home 1 nil defeat to Middlesbrough before the lock down. 

Grant's sign off was the penalty miss in front of the Covered end.

Holmes worse games for Charlton were his last few games.

I believe once "players heads are turned' there is down turn in form.
    I believe Grant's penalty miss was away at Posh in his final game?
    He did score a penalty in front of the Covered End in the last minute of his final home game though.

Once player's know there's a lucrative offer on the table for them, surely it's about them not wanting to get injured and miss out on their big opportunity to better their career?

And if a player is not wanting to risk injury, he's not going to make that tackle or put his head in where it hurts.
    There's too much at stake for him.

The manager will know this - he's been a player too. Shouldn't be picked really.

• Options
    On the other hand, transfer bids do also get rejected, and clubs can refuse to sell. When that happens the player may have the hump for a short while but usually gets on with it

For example, Lyle was expecting to join Brentford last September and looked visually hacked off in the next game after the deadline had passed, but soon got over it, and was back to normal
  • Options
    On the other hand, transfer bids do also get rejected, and clubs can refuse to sell. When that happens the player may have the hump for a short while but usually gets on with it

For example, Lyle was expecting to join Brentford last September and looked visually hacked off in the next game after the deadline had passed, but soon got over it, and was back to normal
    Until he refused to play any other part with 3 games left within his contract and another 6 left for the team to try to survive relegation...

I'm not bitter. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Until he refused to play any other part with 3 games left within his contract and another 6 left for the team to try to survive relegation...

I'm not bitter. 
    That was appalling, but the point was that it's not automatic that if a player's head is turned during a transfer window, that you sell them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    “He [Bowyer] had his methods and in a way it worked. In the moment when he is screaming and shouting I thought ‘he hates me and it must be something personal."

Not sure if that's complimentary of Bows or not ha ha. 

• Options
    Yup read the article, didn’t have to agree to do it so fair play to him, hope he goes on and scores goals for whoever he plays for.
  • Options
    Interesting insight into both him and Bowyer.
  • Options
    “I should’ve scored more goals – that’s what kills me. I got 11 and I could’ve finished on 15. But if I had taken all of them then I’d be in the Premier League. That’s why I’m not the finished article.

Exactly. Some people here have completely unrealistic expectations about how many chances a striker would be expected to put away
    And if he had scored one or two more we would still be in the championship.......
  • Options
    Good luck to him.
  • Options
    “I should’ve scored more goals – that’s what kills me. I got 11 and I could’ve finished on 15. But if I had taken all of them then I’d be in the Premier League. That’s why I’m not the finished article.

Exactly. Some people here have completely unrealistic expectations about how many chances a striker would be expected to put away
    If he had just taken ONE of them we would still be in the Championship.