Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    Bonne, limited player. 

Decent movement, good positioning, right timing.

All strikers miss good chances, sitters, etc ....... but you miss even more if you lack composure and belief.
    Confidence: when you have it, you're a player. When you don't, you're broken.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Maybe it's the same with fans of all clubs, but I really don't get the glee among our lot when honest players go through a bad time after we sell them, or the widespread booing of virtually any ex-player. 

Bonne immediately said his "head turned" comment was wrongly worded and apologised in an SLP interview. He was nothing but hard working and humble as a CAFC player, admitting he was punching above his weight but grinding hard and actually doing bloody well despite being a limited striker. 

Same weird mentality that has seen people like Ricky Holmes and even Scott Wagstaff booed at The Valley. I even saw some tweets digging out Phillips at Cardiff recently - unreal for a superb club servant who handled his departure so graciously. 

Save the abuse for the Taylor and Murphy types. Hounding every ex-player and going on about every sub-par Macauley Bonne performance at poxy QPR makes us look small fry. 
    Bonne was a player who split the fanbase on his ability and there were a lot of bitter disagreements last year and when he was sold - particularly after he scored an early goal for QPR, some people were going mental. So when he goes away and continues to miss sitters and offer nothing outside the box, QPR fans going berserk over buying him, a lot of people have been proven right and proven wrong (for now, anyway, he'll probably score a hat-trick next week). That's why his performances are of interest and they will be for a long while yet.
  • Options
    Suprised out of our former strikers last year Bonne is currently generating more conversation then Taylor. 
    Who?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Wonder if his gobby bird and agent are piping up on twitter? 

Enjoy the splinters Macauley
    This is such a weird mindset. Are you ok?
    Fine fella. Why would I feel sorry for someone who made silly comments when he left and his bird rubbed it in. 
    I don't think you have to feel sorry for him but you have to admit it's a bit weird to be coming onto this thread just to spray abuse at a former player (that he's not even going to read). I don't really understand why you'd take so much enjoyment from things not going great for him at QPR. I don't even think he made silly comments when he left, he basically said a version of 'when QPR wanted to sign me I decided I wanted to go to QPR'. I really can't understand how Charlton fans' egos are bruised by a players wanting to play in the Championship instead of League One. It's all very strange.
    I find it strange that you’re moaning on a forum about someone who has a different opinion to you. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to open the thread. 

My ego isn’t bruised, I’m just glad he’s doing poor after the way he left us. If you can’t wrap your head around that, then that’s an issue for you. 

Very strange
    Come now, you're jumping onto the Bonne thread three months after he left to have a dig at him, his girlfriend and his agent because he said he was happy to join his new club. At least have the guts to admit that he hurt your feelings. Own it. You're welcome to your different opinion, I never said you weren't. I just said being glad he isn't doing well is strange, which I stand by given that you haven't been able to explain to me how it's anything else. Carry on.
    Very strange how rattled you are by this, is your surname Bonne by any chance? 

No, but his dad had a big nose and was a very successful singer in the 80's.
  • Options
    Deuce, Garrymanilow to serve.
    The tie breaker is going to be a long one.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think bonne made a very big mistake by listening to his agent. Bowyer and gallen always described Bonne as a project. He had a lot more game time and scored more goals than anyone could have hoped for. But it was fairly obvious that he wasn’t championship quality.

he would have benefited from a year in league 1 where he would have been a 15-20 goal striker for us this year. Then he could have given the championship another go, 40+ games more experienced, more confidence etc.

instead, his career is likely to go south now. Released by qpr without scoring for 2 or 3 seasons, wage cap.....stupid boy who had his head turned by his agent.
    Or you could say he's a limited player made the right decision to take the money while it's there. When he left he was young enough to be seen as someone who will improve. In three years when his QPR deal expires he'll be nearly 28. This is likely to be the biggest contract he'll get in his career.

I've not totally given up on the lad. However, as you say, he has a lucrative 3 year contract and even if he doesn't make it at that level he will be able to go down a level or two and carry on his career from there.

There is absolutely no certainty in professional sport. On that basis and were Bonne your son, would anyone seriously say to him "stay because you never know if three years time where you and Charlton will be".

He was not guaranteed to score goals or progress this season for us any more than we are guaranteed to go up. And the same people who are criticising him for making that decision would be the ones on his back for not scoring.

One final thing - are people forgetting that we got serious money for someone so untried? Ask QPR fans if they think they overpaid for the answer to that one! 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I still believe he'll get 8.

Weirdly I think a season at this level would have been good for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He had to go make hay while the sun shined, unquestionably
    It's all about the wedge and doing what is right for you and your family.  Nothing more and nothing less.
  • Options
    Nice to "stitch someone else up" for once.  It's usually us bending over and taking it up the Kazoo!
  • Options
    The only reason people are even considering whether or not we’d want him back is because we replaced him with Bogle. Had we signed a half decent striker, we’d not care. 
    Absolutely spot on 
  • Options
    He had to go make hay while the sun shined, unquestionably
    It's all about the wedge and doing what is right for you and your family.  Nothing more and nothing less.
    I wonder wat Bonne's QPR contract is worth to him?
    There'll be a signing fee and obviously much higher wages than he was earning at Charlton.

Okay, he's struggling at QPR right now, but he's still getting game time even from the bench ..... he's a poacher by trade, he's still capable of nicking goals, like he did for us last season. But the pressure is on him.

It might even be QPR decide to loan him out in January, let him drop down a level - and see if he can pick up confidence and get back the scoring habit.

• Options
    The only reason people are even considering whether or not we’d want him back is because we replaced him with Bogle. Had we signed a half decent striker, we’d not care. 
    But that's ALWAYS the case with transfer dealings. It's not just the fee, but whether you can actually spend the money 

In this case because it was the end of the window all the best available strikers had already been signed, and with the L1 salary cap so we couldn't even offer a massive salary to any new strikers. It was always likely that selling Bonne would weaken our side in the short term

• Options
    But that's ALWAYS the case with transfer dealings. It's not just the fee, but whether you can actually spend the money 

In this case because it was the end of the window all the best available strikers had already been signed, and with the L1 salary cap so we couldn't even offer a massive salary to any new strikers. It was always likely that selling Bonne would weaken our side in the short term

Only because we missed out on Schwartz at the last minute, and that was so close to happening that we appear to have convinced him to sign in January.
  • Options
    Not really sure why I’m reading this thread because once a player leaves us I’m not that really bothered what happens to them. For instance I didn’t even know Konsa was at Villa until I watched about ten minutes of their game against Palace on Boxing Day. 
  • Options
    Coming back on loan in January
  • Options
    Coming back on loan in January
    Is this your sense of humour, Henry?

Or nailed on, FACT!  :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Macauley Bonne makes QPR a worse team when he’s on the pitch. The difference between him playing and not playing is the biggest for any player in the division.

A mental stat but just emphasises the majority opinion that we had qpr over at £2m.
  • Options
    Macauley Bonne makes QPR a worse team when he’s on the pitch. The difference between him playing and not playing is the biggest for any player in the division.

Interesting... A striker substitute making a side worse? Not sure I'm buying this. A lot to consider, for example he comes on late as his own defence are tiring.
  • Options
    I wonder if Bonne properly recovered from that injury he picked up last season? His agent's reaction suggested it was more serious than we were led to believe at the time.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Interesting... A striker substitute making a side worse? Not sure I'm buying this. A lot to consider, for example he comes on late as his own defence are tiring.

Four former Charlton players on this list.
    Doesn't get more Charltonised.
  • Options
    What’s his , Taylor and Naby’s goals return per minutes played like in the Championship this year 
  • Options
    You bring a striker off the bench more often than not when chasing a game.  So you push up and leave gaps behind.  I suspect strikers look comparatively worse in tables like this.  

Of course, if you are playing Charlton and chasing a game we sit so deep there is no danger of letting a goal in and more chance of scoring yourselves so we sent those stats a bit!
  • Options

So looking at this with fresh eyes. 

Game 1 Sheffield W- Subbed on 76" Result 1-1 - Bonne Scored equaliser
    Game 2 Bournemouth - Starts - Result 0-0 - Bonne plays full game, fails to score
    Game 3 PNE - Starts - Result 0-2 - Bonne plays full game, both goals are penalties, neither conceded by Bonne, fails to score
    Game 4 Birmingham- Starts - Result 0-0 - Bonne plays full game, fails to score 
    Game 5 Barnsley- Subbed on 63" - Result 0-3 - Dickie sent off early, Barbet scores an oggy for Barnsley's third shortly after Bonne comes on. fails to score
    Game 6 Cardiff - Subbed on 95" - Result 3-2 - Ball scores shortly before Bonne comes on, fails to score
    Game 7 Derby - Subbed on 60" - Result 1-0 - Bonne scores the winner. 
    Game 8 Blackburn- Subbed on 67" - Result 1-3 - Bonne fails to score, Armstrong scores a late brace for his 10th & 11th of the season. 
    Game 9 Watford - Subbed on 55" - Result 1-1 - Equaliser for QPR comes shortly after Bonne comes on, fails to score
    Game 10 Rotherham - Subbed on 60" - Result 3-2 - fails to score, Rotherham score in the 84th
    Game 11 Brentford - Subbed on 85" - 1-2 - Fails to score, all goals before he came on. 
    Game 12 Brizzle - Subbed on 68" - 1-2 - Fails to score, all goals before he came on. 
    Game 13 Hudds - Subbed on 46" - 0-2 -  Fails to score, all goals before he came on. 
    Game 14 Millwank - Subbed on 77" - 1-1  - Fails to score, all goals before he came on. 
    Game 15 Reading - Subbed on 79" - 0-1 - Fails to score, goal came in the 89th  
    Game 16 Stoke - Subbed on 77" - 0-0  - Fails to score
    Game 17 Wycombe - Subbed on 81" - 1-1 - Fails to score, Wycombe score in the 88th
    Game 18 Swansea - Starts - Subbed off 66" - 0-2 - Fails to score played at LW? 
    Game 19 Norwich - Subbed on 71" - 1-1 - Both Goals after Bonne came on.  Fails to score

Bonne simply doesn't have it in him to turn games around is what the stats suggest.