Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    Would need to know about the number and quality of chances QPR created after he was on to judge that really.
  • Options
    QPR signing Jordan Rhodes from the Wendy’s.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how he gets on. In recent years, his goal record hasn't been great at all. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Be interesting to see how he gets on. In recent years, his goal record hasn't been great at all. 
    Still only 30, but his golden years were between 2009 and 2015 really. It's weird how he slumped after moving to Boro and never really refound his form
  • Options
    He's been stealing a living at Hillsborough. Makes Bonne look like Messi 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Still only 30, but his golden years were between 2009 and 2015 really. It's weird how he slumped after moving to Boro and never really refound his form
    It’s funny how many strikers do this!

Look at Torres, the bloke scored 65 goals in 102 league games for Liverpool and was lethal.

Takes the move to Chelsea - and then onto Spain - and scores 47 goals in his next 227 league games and never looked the same player.
  • Options
    With Rhodes hasnt he struggled a bit because of how he's been played compared with Huddersfield and Blackburn

Eg might be very wrong but at those two he had the benefit of playing alongside the targetman of Lee Novak and then Rudy Gestede

Middlesbrough especially I swear he was played as a lone Striker 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Rhodes hasnt he struggled a bit because of how he's been played compared with Huddersfield and Blackburn

Eg might be very wrong but at those two he had the benefit of playing alongside the targetman of Lee Novak and then Rudy Gestede

I know what you mean, but when you mention Lee Novak it's hard not to laugh  :D

We well and truly Charltonised Novak...
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    It’s funny how many strikers do this!

Look at Torres, the bloke scored 65 goals in 102 league games for Liverpool and was lethal.

Takes the move to Chelsea - and then onto Spain - and scores 47 goals in his next 227 league games and never looked the same player.
    Torres' career took a nose dive because he picked up a bad injury in his last season at Liverpool. 
  • Options
    Not withstanding his goal contribution, I always thought he made us a worse team when he played, not just because of the chances he missed but also becuase play broke down around him. This was particularly noticeable post lockdown.
    Not early to mid season, it didn’t; his link play was excellent . 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Not withstanding his goal contribution, I always thought he made us a worse team when he played, not just because of the chances he missed but also becuase play broke down around him. This was particularly noticeable post lockdown.
    Link play? Bonne!?  

Have to say this signing is another damning indictment of Mr. Macauley. QPR only play one upfront and Bonne isn't playing as it is. 
  • Options
    Bad news for us. Whatever deal was struck for Bonne will probably have some performance-based incentives so the further down the pecking order he slips the less money we'll probably see from the sale. Add to that the fact that we'll have a sell-on clause in there too and we're going to be missing out on money for this deal if things carry on the way they are, which is unfortunate.
  • Options
    No idea how much truth there is to it but seeing it rumoured this morning that Glenn Murray is off to QPR on loan, Bonne might find himself even further down the pecking order
  • Options
    Bad news for us. Whatever deal was struck for Bonne will probably have some performance-based incentives so the further down the pecking order he slips the less money we'll probably see from the sale. Add to that the fact that we'll have a sell-on clause in there too and we're going to be missing out on money for this deal if things carry on the way they are, which is unfortunate.
    We never missed out on the £2 million transfer fee though.

And we are only missing out on our percentage of QPR's profit of their selling him for more than £2m.
    That's not likely to happen in the near future, if at all. But you never know!

• Options
    If he starts finding the net again and clicks with Lyndon Dykes he could very well find himself at the Euros 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Link play? Bonne!?  

Have to say this signing is another damning indictment of Mr. Macauley. QPR only play one upfront and Bonne isn't playing as it is. 
    Maybe you didn’t go to the mid season games .  I urge you to watch the recordings 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    His decline is really odd. He used to be one of the best Championship strikers around, then he left Blackburn and it all went wrong. I always wondered why Premier league clubs didn’t go in for him, I guess they were proved right. 
  • Options

I know what you mean, but when you mention Lee Novak it's hard not to laugh  :D

We well and truly Charltonised Novak...
     Was playing football manager the other day and took my mid-table Addicks to Scunthorpe. Lee Novak got both goals in a humbling defeat. The post match comment was “Novak has run Charlton ragged this afternoon”. Couldn’t believe it! I was sacked a couple of weeks later ha!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

And we are only missing out on our percentage of QPR's profit of their selling him for more than £2m.

Well, we don't know that. The fee was undisclosed and so we don't know how it was structured. It might have been £2m with that amount being paid over a couple of years or it might have been £1m with £500,000 if he scores 15 goals and £500,000 if he scores 30, or any variations within that. It's pretty rare that a team will just offer a flat fee of millions for a player, especially in Covid times. We'll never know what the structure exactly is but I suspect that we'll miss out on money if he doesn't do well
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Scoham said:
    Exactly the sort of player I wouldn’t want us to sign if we get back to the Championship - on the decline with his best years behind him. Still has a relatively good reputation so will be on big wages. Got to be much better value for money out there.
    Like Jimmy Floyd hasselbank for us!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:

Well, we don't know that. The fee was undisclosed and so we don't know how it was structured. It might have been £2m with that amount being paid over a couple of years or it might have been £1m with £500,000 if he scores 15 goals and £500,000 if he scores 30, or any variations within that. It's pretty rare that a team will just offer a flat fee of millions for a player, especially in Covid times. We'll never know what the structure exactly is but I suspect that we'll miss out on money if he doesn't do well
    Keep in mind QPR had just sold Eze to Palace for 17 million pounds.

I think a delayed fee based on the player's performance (goals) is practically unheard of? Perhaps in the player's own contract and bonus agreement.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:

I think a delayed fee based on the player's performance (goals) is practically unheard of? Perhaps in the player's own contract and bonus agreement.
    No, it's pretty common to have performance-based incentives in a transfer deal. It can be goals, appearances, international caps etc. For instance, we received money as a result of Joe Gomez appearing for England. That's why when some player sales are announced they'll be declared as something like '£28m that could potentially rise to £33m' or whatever. Big teams particularly love to do that to smaller ones because it reduces their risk; if the player performs then the fee will be worth it and if not then you're never going to pay it anyway. It's true that QPR had money left over from the Eze sale so with a bit of luck we'll have received it all up front.

• Options
    From what was said at the time, I don't think the £2m was conditional on appearances or goals etc

The payment of the cash may have been phased though, so that we some of the fee arrives at a later date. As we weren't desperate for money up front, we may have asked for a higher fee, but not all paid up front
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:

No, it's pretty common to have performance-based incentives in a transfer deal. It can be goals, appearances, international caps etc. For instance, we received money as a result of Joe Gomez appearing for England. That's why when some player sales are announced they'll be declared as something like '£28m that could potentially rise to £33m' or whatever. Big teams particularly love to do that to smaller ones because it reduces their risk; if the player performs then the fee will be worth it and if not then you're never going to pay it anyway. It's true that QPR had money left over from the Eze sale so with a bit of luck we'll have received it all up front.

Yeah appearances are a pretty common part of delayed fees, but I've never heard of goals being one. We would have been crazy to agree to that. 
  • Options
    QPR are trying to get Charlie Austin back on loan, at this rate he's going to struggle to get a place on the bench.