Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    Particularly a Charlton fans favourite.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    paulfox said:
    We really pulled QPRs pants down on that and gave them a cheeky slap across there bare bottom on the way out!!🤣🤣🤣 he did work hard but his quality was limited to say the least.
    I think you are so wrong. Just what we could have done with to play up front with Stockley.
    Can we agree to disagree on that one?😂👍
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    We don't play anyone upfront with Stockley.

If we start next season playing 442 I'll eat my hat.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Hope we do, but can you save some hat for me!!😂
  • Options
    I think he'll do well at this level
  • Options
    A loan move  ??  How can that be   ??  Keep being told on here that loans only happen at the end of the transfer window. I think we need to be told the truth.....
    Premier League clubs tend to make most loans towards the end of the window after they've announced their season's squad.
  • Options
    11 goals in the Championship for us shows his worth, that's more goals than an awful lot of Charlton strikers have managed at that level
  • Options
    Another one we missed out on ……chortle chortle 
    utter guff 
    seller at 15 league goals (excluding penalties) 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I would have paid £300k to get him back. Nice arbitrage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am I allowed to think he’s a nice fella and pony 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    How does anyone know he's a nice bloke anyway? I've only seen one video of him. He was on the pitch telling Josh Davison he needed to get rid of his mullet, and Josh looked like he was a bit tired of him
  • Options
    If he gets 12 goals this year I will be extremely surprised 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    If he gets 12 goals this year I will be extremely surprised 
    Of course he'll score more than 12 goals. He left CAFC a better player because Bowyer improved him......as he does with all the players he works with dontcha know 🙂.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chunes said:

In League 1 you should always play two strikers. Stockley scored his first Cafc goal with his feet when Aneke was 2 yards away.

Cafc had 8 wins out of 23 games at the Valley in 20/21. Unless you have a couple of winger/midfielders who can score 15 to 20 goals you will fail with just one Striker.

The Plymouth away goal rush was a freak result.
  • Options
    And Hull did that with Magennis...
  • Options
    Chunes said:

In League 1 you should always play two strikers. Stockley scored his first Cafc goal with his feet when Aneke was 2 yards away.

Cafc had 8 wins out of 23 games at the Valley in 20/21. Unless you have a couple of winger/midfielders who can score 15 to 20 goals you will fail with just one Striker.

Adkins has had two promotions from the division and preferred one  up front both times. I would trust his judgment on this.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:

Adkins has had two promotions from the division and preferred one  up front both times. I would trust his judgment on this.
    He’s had three and I don’t think that’s true, he seems to have moved to lone striker formations in more recent seasons.

AR Scunthorpe in one of those seasons he played Hayes and Hooper up front. In the other had Sharp as a regular supported by Beckford and Keogh.

At Southampton Lambert was a regular and between Barnard and Connolly had quite a few starts between them.

I might be wrong and some of those players played out wide but I thought they were all out and out strikers rather than wingers who could play up front.

Either way there’s no rule that means we need to play 2 up front to go up. It’s all about the players you have and how they fit together as a team. It never properly clicked under Robinson as we didn’t have a team to make it work consistently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Adkins preferred system is one up front. We have I think a good one. He’ll need cover but if he’s fit then Stockley will be more than adequate to fill that role. Our success or otherwise will be about who plays behind Stockley. Width and ability to get forward and support the loan striker are just as key. At present we don’t have anything like the players we need to do that. I’m sure by August we will but there’s a lot of work to be done. 
  • Options
    Sunderland, Lincoln and Oxford regularly only played 1 up front as well.

The big difference now, from when Adkins was at Scunthorpe and Southampton and also from Powell's Charlton, is you have to play 3 central mids.  If you don't you will, more often than not, not win.

Where you get the 3rd midfielder from is the million dollar question. 

• Options
    Even under Powell when we played Jackson tucked inside to support the middle two and give Wiggins freedom to overlap.

Bowyer found a way to play two up top and give the midfield the numbers by using a diamond, but that’s a formation where it’s even more important that you have the right players. We had strikers and midfielders who were very comfortable drifting wide.

Under Wilder Sheff Utd went up with a front two by playing 5-3-2/3-5-2 and using overlapping centre backs. Again that requires the right type of players to make it work. It’s a waste of a player if the opposition are sitting deep with one striker and you’ve got three CBs who offer nothing with the ball and going forward.

A 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 is a lot more common than either of the above, probably easier to find the players to make it work.
  • Options
    To me, he is not a very good player at all. Can finish, but nothing else. I do not think he will be a success at Ipswich just like he was not a success last season albeit in a higher division. He was awful for us at the start of last season and I have seen nothing to suggest he will do any better this season. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think that says more about how garbage that league was last season .  The idea we finished 7th with the mid season we had ..
  • Options
    SexyDave said:
    To me, he is not a very good player at all. Can finish, but nothing else. I do not think he will be a success at Ipswich just like he was not a success last season albeit in a higher division. He was awful for us at the start of last season and I have seen nothing to suggest he will do any better this season. 
    He'll score against us for sure.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    SexyDave said:
    He'll score against us for sure.
    Probably 😅
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    I think that says more about how garbage that league was last season .  The idea we finished 7th with the mid season we had ..
    We got over 70 points, that’s still a normal amount of points to make the playoffs. The bad run was balanced out by the good start and ends to the season. We could have been inconsistent and throughout and got the same number of points. Just shows a bad run at the start or during the middle of the season doesn’t mean it’s all over.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    We got over 70 points, that’s still a normal amount of points to make the playoffs. The bad run was balanced out by the good start and ends to the season. We could have been inconsistent and throughout and got the same number of points. Just shows a bad run at the start or during the middle of the season doesn’t mean it’s all over.
    Yes - we were rubbish for a long time and still got 70 points