Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    We don't play anyone upfront with Stockley.

If we start next season playing 442 I'll eat my hat.

In League 1 you should always play two strikers. Stockley scored his first Cafc goal with his feet when Aneke was 2 yards away.

Cafc had 8 wins out of 23 games at the Valley in 20/21. Unless you have a couple of winger/midfielders who can score 15 to 20 goals you will fail with just one Striker.

The Plymouth away goal rush was a freak result.
    Adkins has had two promotions from the division and preferred one  up front both times. I would trust his judgment on this.

Check out who Nigel had at Southampton to score goals for him. 3 went on to play for England ! If you have goal scorers who get into the  box they don't have to be "strikers" eg  number 9 or 10.

I agree Adkins is a course and distances winner but this will be a massive challenge as we don't have a 17 year old Oxlaide- Chamberlain, Lallana, Barnard, with Fonte and Schneiderlin as CB and Ricky Lambert who scored 21 goals in the 2010/11 season when finishing 2nd in League 1.

Lallana only scored 8 goals which surprised me that season as he scored 15 the previous season.
    Lee Barnard 14 goals and he was a roaming striker.

The Saints scored 86 goals that season (Posh scored 106 goals !) and only conceded 38 goals which was the fewest in League 1. ( Peterborough conceded 75 !)

I'm a football geek and I don't apologize for that. 

That side he inherited was ridiculously good, which was one of the reasons I was slightly cautious at using that season to show that Adkins can get a side promoted from L1. He had players who would go on to play at the very top of club football and internationally, whereas when you look at the Powell 2012 side none of the players went on to play at such a high level.

Indeed his achievements with Scunthorpe were more impressive
  • Options
    It’s just a stop off on his way back to Orient. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Bonne's not in that video or mentioned

Nicely taken goals from Morecambe. 
  • Options
    Maybe Ipswich should have spent some money on defenders. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Couldn't find his goal, sorry.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Couldn't find his goal, sorry.
    Around 1:36 https://youtu.be/1e7h57Gk0IQ
  • Options
    Oh that Morecambe twat who listens to the Ipswich shout so doesnt jump for the ball!!

If he goes for the ball instead of just standing there, Morecambe record a historic victory
  • Options
    2 very good goals from the Morecambe number 9, Cole Stockton.

May I be the first to say we should sign him! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I doubt he’ll play alongside Pigott, they’ll more likely stick to 4-2-3-1.
  • Options
    He scored in one of his first games for QPR as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:

In League 1 you should always play two strikers. Stockley scored his first Cafc goal with his feet when Aneke was 2 yards away.

Cafc had 8 wins out of 23 games at the Valley in 20/21. Unless you have a couple of winger/midfielders who can score 15 to 20 goals you will fail with just one Striker.

Adkins has had two promotions from the division and preferred one  up front both times. I would trust his judgment on this.

We had this discussion in June.
    I will continue to say Nigel is wrong on this at Cafc. He had Lambert, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana, three guys who were going to become full England Internationals. Plus a player called Barnard who was very good at League 1 level;
    And some cracking defenders including Schneiderlin. 

With Aneke departure, Nigel will realize quickly that Stockley as the lone striker in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 especially at home,  just won't impact and be successful in 2021 with the players we have available.

I hope Nigel is correct and I'm wrong but the worrying truth in what came to fruition yesterday was quite predictable. Only saw 2nd half as at FA cup game but it panned out as my 0-0 prediction on the preview stated.  We played with energy and with a decent defensive shape in 2nd half but we are impotent in front of goal and can't even test the keeper.

Big shout out for Gunter playing in another position that he shouldn't be asked to do.
    Gob smacked that after the days of Solly having to play LB when injuries occured we are still having to play square pegs in round holes.

Hope I can get to the Wimbledon and the Wigan home games as I need to see the bigger picture to see the movement and the positions taken up when in and out of possession. I still have the memory of the Middlesbrough defeat in March 2020 which was 17 months ago and I need that game erased from memory. 

It's a Shay Given we need more quality in the side so no point even stated the effing obvious anymore. 

• Options
    If Bonne stays fit, he will out score anyone that plays up front for Cafc this season even if it's off the bench.

The main reason is he will play alongside Joe Pigott. At League 1 level he is decent and slag him off all you want. We got 2 million for him and he picked up a big wage increase when he went to QPR. Good luck to him but not when he plays Cafc. If Bonne had more opportunities to play as a striker alongside Taylor( when LT was injured unfortunately) he would have kept his form.

The Suffolk club have Pigott,Bonne, Norwood, Alouko and the immense talent of Louie Barry the 18 year old on loan from Villa to call on. Plus Wes Burns and Chaplin to fed them. Their defense emulated Cafc of last season by giving two gift goals but they had the option of Bonne from the bench to get them out of Jail. 

If anyone thinks we are at the same level up front then that is patent nonsense.
    We have a better defense when the big man, Inniss is fit. 

How many of those Ipswich signings will be good enough to make the step up? Good League One players sure, but I can't imagine many will set the Championship alight, indeed Bonne and Chaplin haven't.
  • Options
    If Bonne stays fit, he will out score anyone that plays up front for Cafc this season even if it's off the bench.

The main reason is he will play alongside Joe Pigott. At League 1 level he is decent and slag him off all you want. We got 2 million for him and he picked up a big wage increase when he went to QPR. Good luck to him but not when he plays Cafc. If Bonne had more opportunities to play as a striker alongside Taylor( when LT was injured unfortunately) he would have kept his form.

The Suffolk club have Pigott,Bonne, Norwood, Alouko and the immense talent of Louie Barry the 18 year old on loan from Villa to call on. Plus Wes Burns and Chaplin to fed them. Their defense emulated Cafc of last season by giving two gift goals but they had the option of Bonne from the bench to get them out of Jail. 

If anyone thinks we are at the same level up front then that is patent nonsense.

How many of those Ipswich signings will be good enough to make the step up? Good League One players sure, but I can't imagine many will set the Championship alight, indeed Bonne and Chaplin haven't.
    So they have been promoted already…
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:

We had this discussion in June.
    I will continue to say Nigel is wrong on this at Cafc. He had Lambert, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana, three guys who were going to become full England Internationals. Plus a player called Barnard who was very good at League 1 level;
    And some cracking defenders including Schneiderlin. 

With Aneke departure, Nigel will realize quickly that Stockley as the lone striker in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 especially at home,  just won't impact and be successful in 2021 with the players we have available.

I hope Nigel is correct and I'm wrong but the worrying truth in what came to fruition yesterday was quite predictable. Only saw 2nd half as at FA cup game but it panned out as my 0-0 prediction on the preview stated.  We played with energy and with a decent defensive shape in 2nd half but we are impotent in front of goal and can't even test the keeper.

Big shout out for Gunter playing in another position that he shouldn't be asked to do.
    Gob smacked that after the days of Solly having to play LB when injuries occured we are still having to play square pegs in round holes.

Hope I can get to the Wimbledon and the Wigan home games as I need to see the bigger picture to see the movement and the positions taken up when in and out of possession. I still have the memory of the Middlesbrough defeat in March 2020 which was 17 months ago and I need that game erased from memory. 

It's a Shay Given we need more quality in the side so no point even stated the effing obvious anymore. 

NA won us almost 2 points a game from his 10 games last season while playing a few different forms of 4-3-3, it’s too early to write it off. One positive of playing that way is you avoid being overrun in midfield, something that can happen with a 4-4-2 when you come up against a three man central midfield.

I doubt he’ll stick with one up front if it’s not working. Having an attacking midfielder, winger and striker on the bench he can bring on will make a difference. Instead we have Clayden, Ghandour and Davison.
  • Options
    2 very good goals from the Morecambe number 9, Cole Stockton.

May I be the first to say we should sign him! :-)
    I hope Steve Bruce signs him, for the "Cole to Newcastle" headline
  • Options

How many of our side yesterday would make the step up? The likes of Stockley and Washington are surely in the same boat as Chaplin and Bonne
  • Options
    Give him half a second to shoot and he'll score. Give him a few seconds and he'll figure out a way to miss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Even the flick over the keeper was a bit weird, like it wasn't what he went for.

Miss was so bad, why didn't he head it?!
  • Options
    Ya know what…we all laugh & yep I do too,but we can’t even get a shot on near the target to miss that chance…
  • Options
    Even the flick over the keeper was a bit weird, like it wasn't what he went for.

Miss was so bad, why didn't he head it?!
    Yep, just a quick header and it’s in the net. I think the flick over the keeper was probably an attempt to chip it in but he miss hit it. 
  • Options
    such a weird player
  • Options
    I mean that is hilarious.  Too busy having his head turned to head it in is all I can assume
  • Options
    Plays football like a competition winner. 
  • Options
    What a weird way to fuck up
  • Options
    We can laugh at Bonne all we want but I’d have him as back up to Stockley over Davison and Schwartz any day of the week.
    Well, considering Schwartz has been cast aside Bonne could probably walk into our team on one leg & still get a game.