Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Options
    I'm interested to see where he goes next.

After that purple patch season with us in the Championship where he scored 11 goals, he played 34 for QPR and scored just 3.

On loan at Ipswich, following a good early spell, there were soundings that QPR might recall him. Macauley said publically that he didn't want to go back. I can't imagine his parent club were too impressed with that.

What followed was an incredible barren spell where he scored just once in 29 games. Not for lack of chances, Bonne is 2nd in the league for Big Chances Missed. A Twitter poll said 85% of Ipswich fans did not want to sign him permanently. 

Likely another League One loan on the cards for next season?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Bonne looked superb today. That's how bad we were 
    I wouldn't go that far - we make everyone look good - but I was impressed with his movement and link up play. His all round game had improved since he left us
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:

Did he?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    He was alright… probably goes back to QPR in the summer and gets another L1 loan deal elsewhere. We did very well to get seven figures for him.
  • Options
    He was decent enough today, if not superb. One thing is for sure is that he looked far better than the two clowns that we had up front. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    kodfish said:
    Croydon said:

Did he?
    Superb a stretch, was teferring to how good we made him look when knowing he's shit. Definitely looked better than anything we had on the pitch. He's absolute garbage, and still offered more than anyone in a Charlton shirt 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm interested to see where he goes next.

After that purple patch season with us in the Championship where he scored 11 goals, he played 34 for QPR and scored just 3.

On loan at Ipswich, following a good early spell, there were soundings that QPR might recall him. Macauley said publically that he didn't want to go back. I can't imagine his parent club were too impressed with that.

What followed was an incredible barren spell where he scored just once in 29 games. Not for lack of chances, Bonne is 2nd in the league for Big Chances Missed. A Twitter poll said 85% of Ipswich fans did not want to sign him permanently. 

Likely another League One loan on the cards for next season?
    We love a loan from QPR...😆
  • Options
    He was decent enough today, if not superb. One thing is for sure is that he looked far better than the two clowns that we had up front. 
    But we know he’s at a similar level to our strikers. We got a very good deal for him. It’s a great example of poor recruitment by QPR.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    kodfish said:
    Croydon said:

Did he?
    Superb a stretch, was teferring to how good we made him look when knowing he's shit. Definitely looked better than anything we had on the pitch. He's absolute garbage, and still offered more than anyone in a Charlton shirt 
    He's not garbage. QPR overpaid for him, but you don't score 11 goals in the Championship without having a bit of ability. That's more than Stockley has managed at that level
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    But we know he’s at a similar level to our strikers. We got a very good deal for him. It’s a great example of poor recruitment by QPR.
    I agree that we got a good deal for him. Strikers always come at a premium and QPR gambled and lost. 
    I'd still rather have Bonne than either Stockley or Washington. 
  • Options
    Bonne is dogshite. Washington or stockley over him 100% 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I don't even really like Stockley & Washington but they are clearly above Bonne. 

Washington was only behind him by 1 goal, having played 7 less games and started the season on the wing.

Sandgaard did well to get £2million for a striker who isn't Championship level and is now struggling for goals in league one.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't even really like Stockley & Washington but they are clearly above Bonne. 
    Stockley definitely, but Washington is debatable. Bonne has played and scored at a higher level. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    He may have had a purple patch in the champ but he's not a Championship player and he's shown that. 

Chris Gunter is Wales most-capped international ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    I don't disagree, but I don't you think you can confidently say that Washington is 'clearly' above Washington 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I don't disagree, but I don't you think you can confidently say that Washington is 'clearly' above Washington 
    Oh Washington is definitely above Washington!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    Stockley definitely, but Washington is debatable. Bonne has played and scored at a higher level. 
    Played in the right formation, with the right players behind him, to feed him, Washington is the batter player IMO - he makes very intelligent runs off the ball to lose his markers, holds the ball up well, technically, a good player at this level

I will however concede that his chance conversion rate is poor, especially 1 on 1 with a keeper - my Boss is a QPR season ticket holder, and advises that his lack of goals was the limitation on remaining a Championship player

For me Stockley is going backwards - he seems to have forgotten how to jump when challenging for the ball in midfield / final ball when jumping to do a flick on - his goal last home game of season, was a great goal running in and rising above the defender, but link up play is poor of late

Both are, however, better than Bonne (albeit for those of us there yesterday, I realise that is a challenging opinion)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    No he hasnt... Washington and Bonne have both played in the Championship

Washington has 13-goals | Bonne has 14-goals

Washington also has six International goals so could argue thats a higher level that the Championship.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:

Washington also has six International goals so could argue thats a higher level that the Championship.
    Depends who he has scored against. Northern Ireland v San Marino is certainly not above the Champ!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:

Depends who he has scored against. Northern Ireland v San Marino is certainly not above the Champ!
    Slovenia | Belarus | Norway | Estonia | Lithuania | Bulgaria

So yeah apart from Norway its debatable in terms of the Championship quality, the first two alone were only friendlies
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:

Slovenia | Belarus | Norway | Estonia | Lithuania | Bulgaria

So yeah apart from Norway its debatable in terms of the Championship quality, the first two alone were only friendlies
    Yeah there is some awful international football, Ali Daei's record has only recently been beaten by Ronaldo. Your point was of course correct thouh, Washington has played and scored a few in the Champ. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    Played in the right formation, with the right players behind him, to feed him, Washington is the batter player IMO - he makes very intelligent runs off the ball to lose his markers, holds the ball up well, technically, a good player at this level

I will however concede that his chance conversion rate is poor, especially 1 on 1 with a keeper - my Boss is a QPR season ticket holder, and advises that his lack of goals was the limitation on remaining a Championship player

For me Stockley is going backwards - he seems to have forgotten how to jump when challenging for the ball in midfield / final ball when jumping to do a flick on - his goal last home game of season, was a great goal running in and rising above the defender, but link up play is poor of late

Both are, however, better than Bonne (albeit for those of us there yesterday, I realise that is a challenging opinion)
    Not having that. He has one of the worst first touches I have ever seen.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ipswich were head and shoulders above us yesterday. By a mile.  Their most forward starting player was Bonne.  He didn't score.  He was not that good and I would not have him back ahead.of Stockley, Washington or Aneke.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:

Not having that. He has one of the worst first touches I have ever seen.
    His last touch is not too good either, normally straight at the keeper.
  • Options
    So neither Sheffield paper know anything either & just throwing names around.

I wonder where they picked that old trick up from....😉🙂
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    If he goes for 1 million pounds after scoring 12 goals in 46 appearances at League One level, I will eat my shoes.