Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    Good to see the reaction to this. Gravely sad the owners thought they could push this through. It won’t go away 
  • Options

They will get no punishment clearly. Bet none of them will. 
  • Options
    https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/club-statement-super-league-withdraw-63754546

Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Basically, now that the Spanish government has finally stopped bankrolling Real Madrid, and Barca (who sold their soul years ago) have been financially living beyond their means for decades, they're utterly fucked financially and know it. Covid has just hastened the reality of their imperilment.

They've convinced the greedy, conniving yank fucks who own Utd and Liverpool that they can finally do away with the whole 'missing out on the champions league payday' nonsense by getting them (and a few other delusional (Arsenal, Tottingham) or basket case (Juve, Milan) clubs) to go along with it in an extremely misguided attempt at brinkmanship.

Be interesting to see how this pans out now, with all their leverage pretty much gone. Still think that, sadly, they'll end up with a bigger slice of the pie 😢
    Doubt it, haven’t they all resigned from the ECA where the share of the pie is debated? 

I’m actually surprised at how spectacularly it’s failed and equally surprised at how quickly it all fell apart. The Americans must be very confused about what’s taken place. 

Will be an interesting event in the history of the sport to look back on. 
    I guess this might show the Americans that with real competitive sport comes real passion. Was there much of an outcry when the raiders moved from LA to Oklahoma to Las Vegas?
    I love the idea of the Raiders playing in Oklahoma, not sure the locals would know what to make of it! 

I think some of the franchise relocations in the US have gone down particularly badly (when the team that is not the Ravens moved from Cleveland to Baltimore rings a bell), although I’m sure some (most?) have been grudgingly accepted with some complaining but no real resistance. We shouldn’t assume that all US sports fans are less passionate than any English football fans, it’s more nuanced than that. 
    Sorry Oakland, but that does kind of prove my point. It’s like a team from South West London moving to Milton Keynes
    Don’t worry, I knew what you meant - I’m a Raiders fan and have seen them in Oakland - Oklahoma it ain’t :-)  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Basically, now that the Spanish government has finally stopped bankrolling Real Madrid, and Barca (who sold their soul years ago) have been financially living beyond their means for decades, they're utterly fucked financially and know it. Covid has just hastened the reality of their imperilment.

They've convinced the greedy, conniving yank fucks who own Utd and Liverpool that they can finally do away with the whole 'missing out on the champions league payday' nonsense by getting them (and a few other delusional (Arsenal, Tottingham) or basket case (Juve, Milan) clubs) to go along with it in an extremely misguided attempt at brinkmanship.

Be interesting to see how this pans out now, with all their leverage pretty much gone. Still think that, sadly, they'll end up with a bigger slice of the pie 😢
    Doubt it, haven’t they all resigned from the ECA where the share of the pie is debated? 

I’m actually surprised at how spectacularly it’s failed and equally surprised at how quickly it all fell apart. The Americans must be very confused about what’s taken place. 

I guess this might show the Americans that with real competitive sport comes real passion. Was there much of an outcry when the raiders moved from LA to Oklahoma to Las Vegas?
    I love the idea of the Raiders playing in Oklahoma, not sure the locals would know what to make of it! 

I think some of the franchise relocations in the US have gone down particularly badly (when the team that is not the Ravens moved from Cleveland to Baltimore rings a bell), although I’m sure some (most?) have been grudgingly accepted with some complaining but no real resistance. We shouldn’t assume that all US sports fans are less passionate than any English football fans, it’s more nuanced than that. 
    Sorry Oakland, but that does kind of prove my point. It’s like a team from South West London moving to Milton Keynes
    Don’t worry, I knew what you meant - I’m a Raiders fan and have seen them in Oakland - Oklahoma it ain’t :-)  
    Maybe their next move will be closer to Eltham 
  • Options
    I’ve always considered Chelsea fans as a bit strange - this just confirms it.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

And British, English in particular, sports fans (pretty much any sport) are the most passionate. The septics will never, ever get that.
  • Options
    Does kind of get on my nerves how rich ex footballers, pundits, celebrities all of a sudden pretend they absolutely adore fans and members of "the working class". 

Alright robin hood. Nice to say that sort of stuff but give it a bit of a break. 

This super euro league shit was obviously never going to happen.

David Beckham, for example, obviously hates money. He only likes fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You just know Arsenal and Spurs will be the last two left hanging on to the ESL.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Does kind of get on my nerves how rich ex footballers, pundits, celebrities all of a sudden pretend they absolutely adore fans and members of "the working class". 

Alright robin hood. Nice to say that sort of stuff but give it a bit of a break. 

Why can't the rich footballers feel the fans are crucial to the game though. They might be rich now but the majority would have started playing/watching football as the working class. There is a massive massive difference between being a top class footballer on 200k a week and a big club forming a super league for an extra 300mil. 

Yeh huge difference. The footballers earned their way to the top, starting from the bottom. They all mostly mean well.

I just sort of see a bit of a vague acting performance

I might be wrong. Hope I am.

• Options
    Nug said:
    You just know Arsenal and Spurs will be the last two left hanging on to the ESL.
    I think Manure or the bin dippers will be last.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I hope when fans are back next season that those directors boxes get abused vehemently every minute of every game plus half time. 
    Yeah but it's not like the Glazers etc actually go to the games.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:

Why can't the rich footballers feel the fans are crucial to the game though. They might be rich now but the majority would have started playing/watching football as the working class. There is a massive massive difference between being a top class footballer on 200k a week and a big club forming a super league for an extra 300mil. 

Yeh huge difference. The footballers earned their way to the top, starting from the bottom. They all mostly mean well.

No I do agree with that, there are certainly some who are over egging their good guy image a bit. But I just dont feel generally that just because players are now millionaires it means they dont care about the fans, the football pyramid or tradition.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:

No I do agree with that, there are certainly some who are over egging their good guy image a bit. But I just dont feel generally that just because players are now millionaires it means they dont care about the fans, the football pyramid or tradition.  

The Matt Southall, katrien meire + plus more freaks time frame, has kind of given me pretend to give a sh*t about fans trust residue
  • Options
    Remaining 4 English teams pulling out.

Well that was fun whilst it lasted.