Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    It was never their intention to cause such distress... So why was everything done so quietly then?
    Exactly. Didn’t even have the decency to tell the managers and players of the clubs either. All these owners showed no respect whatsoever to the football club or supporters. All the statements that will be released are completely empty. 
  • Options
    No apology from Tottenham, Man United or Liverpool so far. 
  • Options
    Fans. United. Will never be defeated.
  • Options
    The owners are a disgrace but what happens now?
  • Options
    The owners are a disgrace but what happens now?
    Quite, should be irreversible damage but this is football. Quite how there can ever be any trust or respect from the other 14 clubs in future board meetings is beyond me. But I’m sure a year down the line, hopefully with fans back in grounds, it will be like nothing ever happened.
  • Options
    In a few months there will be a change to the money allocations, a bit more wil go to the 'super' clubs, that would be my guess
  • Options
    So much for the clubs standing firm eh?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

EPL and FA need to come out now and say that the 6 will be expelled from the English game on Friday, any who change their mind before Friday can stay on current terms, there will be no re-negotiations of share of income or voting power. Take it or leave it.

What would really put the cat amongst the pigeons is if the EPL said they've got Celtic and Rangers coming in, so the first 4 to bail on the super league get their places back, the other 2 are out of luck.
    We could also bring in Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan whilst we're at it 
    You would  need permission to play in a league in another country.  You would have to start at the bottom of the pyramid. 

Only one club has ever been able to do this...you must know who that is. Welsh teams and Berwick Rangers plus Gretna don't count.
    Monaco 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Top scorer: Own Goal
  • Options
    edited April 2021

The last few days have shown us yet again the depth of feeling our supporters around the world have for this great club and the game we love.

We needed no reminding of this but the response from supporters in recent days has given us time for further reflection and deep thought.

It was never our intention to cause such distress, however when the invitation to join the Super League came, while knowing there were no guarantees, we did not want to be left behind to ensure we protected Arsenal and its future. 

As a result of listening to you and the wider football community over recent days we are withdrawing from the proposed Super League. We made a mistake, and we apologise for it.

We know it will take time to restore your faith in what we are trying to achieve here at Arsenal but let us be clear that the decision to be part of the Super League was driven by our desire to protect Arsenal, the club you love, and to support the game you love through greater solidarity and financial stability.

Stability is essential for the game to prosper and we will continue to strive to bring the security the game needs to move forward.

The system needs to be fixed. We must work together to find solutions which protect the future of the game and harness the extraordinary power football has to get us on the edge of our seats.

Finally, we know this has been hugely unsettling at the end of what has been an incredibly difficult year for us all. 

Our aim is always to make the right decisions for this great football club, to protect it for the future and to take us forward. We didn’t make the right decision here, which we fully accept.

We have heard you.

The Arsenal Board

The wording is hilarious, the way that's written implies that they had nothing to do with creating a Super League until an email suddenly appeared out of nowhere
  • Options
    They need to be made to sign undertakings that there will be no repeat of this nonsense. That is the point where it should end.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Scoham said:

EPL and FA need to come out now and say that the 6 will be expelled from the English game on Friday, any who change their mind before Friday can stay on current terms, there will be no re-negotiations of share of income or voting power. Take it or leave it.

What would really put the cat amongst the pigeons is if the EPL said they've got Celtic and Rangers coming in, so the first 4 to bail on the super league get their places back, the other 2 are out of luck.
    We could also bring in Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan whilst we're at it 
    You would  need permission to play in a league in another country.  You would have to start at the bottom of the pyramid. 

Only one club has ever been able to do this...you must know who that is. Welsh teams and Berwick Rangers plus Gretna don't count.
    Monaco 
    There’s loads

San Marino
    Andorra
    Various Liechtenstein clubs
    TNS
    And more...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country

Plus Chester’s pitch is entirely in Wales while their offices within the stadium are in England.
  • Options
    They need to be made to sign undertakings that there will be no repeat of this nonsense. That is the point where it should end.
    Not sure how that would work. If/when they try it again, any undertakings would surely be disregarded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Razor1890 said:
    perhaps i'm coming from a different view, my team is Bohemians in dublin, it will always be Bohs, i came to London at bye age of 29, one of the lads was a charlton boy, our mates (devon, wolves and forest) wanted to find something that attached Us to this great citys.

All of us have a few quid (middling city blokes) but we took to Charlton, because that was our mates team, it was a locals team, we liked the pubs, the smell of the place and the people that our tickets determined we sat beside.

I would have been prime "super league' fodder as would hand my mates, on a spreadsheet we would have been the exact kind of "customer" they would have ear marked. But we didn't.

This sport, and at times i fucking loath it, had one great leveller, your team earn it on the pitch, they over achieve, they underachieve but every year your squad is held up account for what they did from the first kick of a ball to the last.

This, for me, is why competitive football is what football on this country is based upon.

Fair play Geezer, fair play 👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    This is beyond hilarious - these greedy fuckers just learned the difference between money and power.

In the English context having money and having power are two very, very different things and none of these English club owners have any real power.

Look at dear old Mohamed Al Fayed, former owner of Harrods and Fulham, he was caked in cash but craved power and yet he had none whatsoever as the establishment would not give it to him.

Same deal with these guys, Abrahmovich, ENIC, Stan Kroenke, John Henry, the Glazers and the UAE mob at Man City, they have more money than God but no actual power as they just found out.

Firstly, they had no political support for their hair brained scheme at all - not a slither of it.

Second, they had no media support either, in fact the UK's biggest media firm, News Corp., was strenuously against the plan as was the other key publication The Daily Mail whose chief sports writer Martin Samuel has been a campaigner AGAINST UEFA and financial fair play etc and yet even HE was opposed to the ESL plan.

This was the most suicidal piece of PR and business strategy that I have ever seen, it defies belief that these people could be so dumb and yet here we are - they clearly were.
  • Options
    Great it’s folded but Man U, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool owners are absolute weasel shithouses. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this despite the u turn. It’s massively heartening to see the CFC fan protest and the proposed demo against Enic. 

When common people unite, great things can happen. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Rothko said:
    Both Spurs and Liverpool statements are tone deaf, Levy especially 
    Levy should be nowhere near football.....fcuking sociopath. I guess he holds 29% of Spurs shares though so they can't fire him....can they ? 
  • Options
    Just looked at the new champions league format - ridiculous idea it’s almost as if there’s not enough games.

I do agree in a sense that Man City should get more money for the partaking than Spartak Moscow as they have considerably higher overheads