Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I've seen a few mentions that Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are also pulling out  but here in Spain, there's no sign of that. They got a court judgement yesterday preventing any sort of reprisal or punishment against the three Spanish clubs by La Liga, UEFA or FIFA. And they state they are replanting how to push ahead with the Italian clubs now that the English have jumped ship.
    All this may change quickly - they're looking very isolated right now- but as it stands, the greedy six are still planning to continue for the good of football.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

• Options
    I've seen a few mentions that Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are also pulling out  but here in Spain, there's no sign of that. They got a court judgement yesterday preventing any sort of reprisal or punishment against the three Spanish clubs by La Liga, UEFA or FIFA. And they state they are replanting how to push ahead with the Italian clubs now that the English have jumped ship.
    All this may change quickly - they're looking very isolated right now- but as it stands, the greedy six are still planning to continue for the good of football.
    A European “Super League” without English, German, French, Portuguese or Dutch clubs and which has provoked the ire of the world doesn’t sound like a business model likely to succeed. 

Probably time to drop it now.
  • Options
    UEFA should give them a week to reconsider and resign from this idea, if not then they should be subjected to penalties/fines/ejection from tournaments.
  • Options
    Sounds like the FA with Government backing we’re going to throw the six out of English competitions and were not going to issue work permits for any overseas players at those clubs. 
  • Options
    Well it was super while it lasted!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was very aware of those changes in the CL, and there are not good, lack of meritocracy but the threat of a collapsing pyramid is over for now and that’s a huge huge positive. 
  • Options
    How about a knockout tournament where national champions play each other? You could maybe call it the European cup.

Way too radical - the fans would never allow it.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Am I the only one thinking it's a bit of a shame they've backed down so quickly? I'd have loved to see them go ahead with it, get kicked out of everything, fined astronomical amounts that was fed into grass roots and lower league football, have a media blackout of it all, it all go tits up for them all, all whilst football undergoes true reform. Alas, I guess it wasn't meant to be
    100% this. As is is UEFA have already offered a small carrot by way of the new CL format above. This would have been the time to make a real statement of intent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah will be a shame if nothing comes from this - The big clubs are allowed to apologise, go back to normal and then in a few years they will try something similar again, next time not making the same braindead mistakes 
  • Options
    John Barnes is making some great points on Talksport.

All that happened yesterday was that the people who exploit the fans has changed. Now it will not be ESL (big 6) exploiting the fans it will now be UEFA, FIFA, EPL, SKY and BT. 

It was not fan power that made them back down but Sky, UEFA, FIFA and the EPL to protect themselves. 

Fans will still be exploited by high ticket prices, High TV packages, High Shirt costs 

Football sold out in 92 the rest of the Pyramid are still exploited

The elephant in the room is with very few exceptions the owners don't make money out of football.  Everyone else does, bar them.

Agents, players, kit manufacturers, employees in executive positions, FIFA, UEFA, The FA, SKY, even Quest.

Football clubs are just a mechanic for moving one pile of money from one place to the other. 

If you forget the pandemic for a moment and look at Charlton, as an example, people will always complain that tickets and shirts are too expensive while at the same time saying we need more, better (more expensive) players.   Who pays for it? 

There is always outrage, rightfully or wrongly, about players like KVB, Pogba and Haaland and their wages.  But league 1 players are paid, on average, far too much compared to the income the clubs can generate.  So who makes up the difference?  The answer is always "not me".

I have no idea what the answer is. 
  • Options
    Football is corrupt to the core. Sky etc make me laugh with their faux outrage over the ESL.
  • Options
    Well, that was an interesting 48 hours.
  • Options
    The apology from John W Henry is the most insincere statement of all time - what an utter c***.
  • Options
    Henry can drop dead.. lying bucket of sick 
  • Options
    Yeah will be a shame if nothing comes from this - The big clubs are allowed to apologise, go back to normal and then in a few years they will try something similar again, next time not making the same braindead mistakes 
    I feel like that’s slightly the ‘celebrity’ culture these days anyway. People do idiotic or ghastly things. Everyone hates on them for a while. Then they come back as if nothing ever happened and carry on making a lot of money. 
  • Options
    Simon Jordan very entertaining when he rips Jim White to shreds...