Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United Tuesday 27 October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
Tuesday 27 October | Kick-Off: 19.00pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Craig Hicks (Surrey) - Last officiated Charlton at home to Shrewsbury, 2-1 win in August 2018

Introduction
Three wins on the spin, 4 clean sheets in a row... Bowyer's boys may not be turning out fantastic performances, but they're certainly showing they know how to get results in this league! With 5 clean sheets already this season, it has been mentioned once or twice - very quietly - that goals win you games, but clean sheets win you titles. After the last few months at the club, to be in the position we are at this stage, with momentum and confidence building, huge credit must go to our manager. But Bowyer's opposite number for Tuesday evening already knows all too well about his strengths. Former manager, Karl Robinson, brings his Oxford United side to The Valley under the lights. 

Opposition
Manager: Karl Robinson (39.7% win rate)
Stadium: Kassam Stadium
League Position: 22nd | Last 6: LLWLLW
Nickname(s): The U's/The Yellows

Oxford United had their game postponed at the weekend due to coronavirus, so their last fixture they played at home to MK Dons, winning 3-2, their line up was:

Eastwood
Clare | Moore | Atkinson | Ruffels
Sykes | Rodriguez | Forde
Henry | Taylor | McGuane

Karl Robinson seems to be a manager that goes through phases, or runs of form. The former Addicks manager, who was integral at bringing in our current manager to the club, is just as capable of going on a fantastic winning run as he is going on a dreadful losing streak. In his last 205 league games, his record stands at having won 79 and lost 67. As things stand, without their last game, and win, against another of his former clubs - MK Dons - Oxford United would be sitting bottom of the league. This poor run of form could be put down to a hangover of the hurt from missing out on promotion in the Play-Off Final against Wycombe Wanderers in August. For our benefit, let's hope that we can cause a little further misery, even if it's just for one more match!

To their credit, Oxford try to play football the right way. Players get forward, full-backs push high, midfielders expected to chip in with a certain amount of goals, and we know that Robinson would rather have more possession than not. However, so far this season, it's not worked out quite like that. Oxford's two wins this season has seen them average 38% possession, whereas they've averaged 57.5% in the four games they've lost. This stat is slightly skewed as they last played MK Dons, who sit joint bottom of the league yet average over 67% possession each game - the definition of having the ball but doing absolutely nothing with it.

In terms of danger men it's quite hard to look much further than Matty Taylor. A player Bowyer was interested in signing during the summer but for the transfer embargo, Taylor is likely to be The U's biggest threat. The striker has already scored 3 in 6 so far this season, complimenting his 1 in 2 record last season when he finished with 13 goals from 26 league appearances. That ability to find the net so regularly at this level is enough to cause any defence problems, even one who hasn't conceded in over 6 hours of football. Containing his movement, and runs in behind Inniss and Famewo, is going to be huge in pushing that statistic to nearly a full working day of 8 hours. Taylor, for his size of only 5ft 9, is usually quite strong at holding the ball up and bringing the midfield further into play, but against the size of our two centre backs, he's unlikely to have much luck in that role. With this in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see Robinson change the formation that they've been using and adopt a similar game-plan to the one we saw the last time he took his Oxford side to The Valley. Sam Winnall, another smaller striker who signed during the summer from Sheffield Wednesday, could get his first start alongside Taylor as they go for a diamond in midfield themselves. A tactic of two smaller strikers to get in behind the big and strong centre backs, being found by the ex-Millwall midfielder, James Henry, at the top of the diamond could be just what Robinson believes is the best way too cause us most damage. 

Charlton Team News
Two more players were added to the treatment table over the last few days, Aneke with a minor groin strain from scoring the winner against Blackpool last Tuesday, and Doughty having to come off just passed the hour mark against Northampton on Saturday. It's hoped the latter's injury won't be too bad, with the assessment going on until tomorrow, but it does look as though as it could be a hamstring injury. It is hoped that Aneke will be back for the weekend. That means Bowyer's likely to be without five of his first team players, joining Oshilaja, Pearce, and Gilbey to support the boys from home.

With Pratley coming on at half time for young Dylan Levitt, proving to be the right move to steer us to victory, it would be expected that he'll slot back into the starting XI.  But the same could be said about Ben Watson, the 35 year old had no pre-season and was given a rest against Northampton having played three 90 minutes in a row. Sections of the support are unlikely to be happy to see both Pratley and Watson start together again in midfield, but it's something I do see Bowyer going with, especially until we have the rest of our squad up to speed. That experience in front of a young back four could be vital in helping to us to maintain the level of solidarity in the team.

Other options are available, but questions marks remain as to whether Maddison is fit enough to start. With Doughty a doubt, we will surely lack that creative spark to unlock a defence. However, asking Maddison to start could be pushing just a little too much, that move might be at the weekend. Instead, another young academy product could come in from the cold and be asked to provide the extra bit of quality. Albie Morgan has only been able to make the bench in any of the last 5 league games, but could be given a start in midweek. Forster-Caskey and Jonny Williams might count themselves unlucky not to be selected again, but we know Bowyer is happy to rotate so it wouldn't be a surprise to see either take their place on the bench. Young Ian Maatsen has also impressed at left-back, which will surely mean Ben Purrington will return to the squad on the bench, before probably starting away from home at Portsmouth on Saturday.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Levitt, Forster-Caskey, Williams, Maddison, Smyth

Prediction
An intriguing match is likely to follow. It's one where I think a lot of tactical games could be played to cancel each other out. Robinson will look to kick start their campaign by upsetting his former assistant, but I do think this new look Charlton team will show again we just have enough to get passed our opponents on Tuesday evening. Expect our substitutions to be crucial, with Maddison coming on and setting up the winner.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Oxford United
Inniss
Bogle

Comments

• Good line up Sage , but would unleash Maddison for this one in place of Morgan and maybe Smyth for Washington  . 2-1 home win . 
  • Not looking forward to this one, felt three points at the weekend ahead of these next two fixtures was cruical

Got a feeling the usual Oxford hoodoo could continue; Going for a 1-1 draw - If we win then I truly will believe we've got a chance finishing top two
  • Oxford have had 3 games (against 2 different opponents though) called off now for COVID reasons, so whilst they may be better rested than us hopefully their teams reduced game time will also help.

They'll be coming to us looking for 3 points but I feel confident that if nothing else our current back line can keep them out for long enough that we should get a draw. Time for another one of our forwards to step up and get off the mark this season. 
  • They always seem to give us a tough game, whatever the form book or league position shows. I'll take any win.
  • edited October 2020
    You put Pratley back in the position he played yesterday, fine. Even though it'll be on our pitch and maybe not howling a gale. Fine. But you push him into the horrendously unsuitable flank-midfield position to accommodate Watson as DM? Nah. Not having it. Pick one. JFC has played much better than both this season, and if he needs a rest then we have other options. We're at home. We don't need to keep Oxford out, we need to go out and beat them.
  • And as for playing Pratley as DM and Watson as flank midfielder...have you seen how slow Watson has been? Just...no. No no no. Get well soon Mr Gilbey ffs
  • Pratley deserves to start so Watson on the bench for me against Oxford. 
  • Will miss Alfie & Chuks. I think we'll have enough to beat them. I am going for a 2-1. Bogle to open his account. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Any news on Alfie. Was it his hammy or cramp? I suspect the worst as that is what it normally is!
  • edited October 2020
    No Chuks, Doughty, or Gilbey as well as Maddison not yet being fit enough to start. It’s going to be a very tough game. Oxford are a good side and will be in and around the playoffs this season. 

I worry we’re overplaying the likes of Gunter and Bogle, they’ve had little to no pre-season and it won’t be long until they get a muscle injury. 

Hopefully, we can keep a clean bill of health and maintain a tight back line - although, I don’t see where the goals are going to come from unless it’s a corner. 

0-0
  • Any news on Alfie. Was it his hammy or cramp? I suspect the worst as that is what it normally is!
    Definitely looked like a pulled hamstring to me, it’s not often a player comes off like that with just cramp. 
  • If Morgan should start, put him in the 10 role, where he can do a lot of damage without the urgent need to track back and constantly cover his own fullback. Then be replaced by 'Here comes Jonny' coming off the bench for the last 30 mins.

Watson surely will be saved for the Pompey game. I'm going to agree with Leuth: put Prats at DM protecting the defence and let someone quicker play the CM role, like Levitt.  I think Shinnie is more suited to play the other CM, giving more space for his penetrating passes.

I wouldn't risk starting Maddison - but by all means give him some minutes in the last quarter, if that's what the game needs.

• Well looking at their statistics LLWLLW, then it is clear that
    we will inflict another defeat on Robinson's Oxford.
    Will go for a good 3-0 win, we are due a convincing win
    so Tuesday it is,  Inniss x 2 & Bogle... COYR
    Definitely looked like a pulled hamstring to me, it’s not often a player comes off like that with just cramp. 
    On Twitter Alfie described it as 'a knock' whatever that means. He also said hopefully not too bad.
  • If neither Doughty nor Maddison are fit to start I think it will look like this:

AMOS, GUNTER, INNIS, FAMEWO, MAATSEN, PRATLEY, SHINNIE, JFC, SMYTH, WASHINGTON, BOGLE

2-2 Bogle, Maddison 
  • Gobinson seems to have out smarted bowyer the last couple of times we’ve played them. On that basis, I would do something unexpected and go for 4-2-3-1 which can switch to 4-3-3 if needed

Amos

gunter    innis    Famewo    Maatsen 

Pratley    Jfc 

Smyth   Maddison   Williams

Bogle

subs, amb, Watson, shinnie, Washington, purrington, levitt, Morgan 
  • Am hoping for a 3-1 win this time out...Innis,Smyth & Washington...then we get to hear Gobbo’s post match saying how much he put us on our path back to glory with taking Lee on & if he wasn’t for him...blah blah blah
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 to Charlton.
    Hamstring cramp is much more debilitating than the usual calf cramp, or even thigh cramp. I’m hoping that was all it was though. 
  • Amos,
    Gunter, Innis, Famewo, Maatsen
    Watson
    Pratley, Shinnie
    Maddison, Bogle, Washington

2-1 Washington, Shinnie.

Clean sheet run goes but not W run, Oxford’s XI looks dramatically changed from the last couple of seasons so not expecting the same side that has done well, I think this is the year it goes wrong for Karl.

I think Maddison will get chucked in to see what he can do, it’s not like we’ve not got a bench these days if he’s ineffective.  Watson to get dragged off 60 minutes in with the hope he’s not booked and suspended for Pompey.
  • Great review and lots of thinking going on among CLifers. I’m optimistic about getting 3 points and think our new defence will have enough about them to keep them out. No idea where the goals will come from - another 2-0.
  • Oxford defeats have been against Lincoln (A), Gillingham (A), Sunderland (H) and Posh (A). They have won 2 of the last 3, one of which smashing Accrington on their own turf 1-4.     

Looks a tough fixture especially without Doughty's pace.
  • Excellent preview Sage. 
    I expect a tough game but I also expect us to eventually come out on top.
    2.1 Charlton and we send Gobinson home empty handed. 
  • Well we know he will be playing an attacking 4-3-3. I do like that formation and it was a pity we did not have the players to make that work when he was here. Will we match that and try and outplay them? I would play the diamond. 
    I would play Maddison if the medical team think he is able to with Bogle and Washington in front of him. If not available, Johnny.
    Pratley and Watson protecting the back line.
  • Matthews for Gunter perhaps if he signs in time?

Wonder how match fit he'll be

Wouldnt be surprised if it happened as running into strong wind can just ruin your energy and Gunter may need a break after Saturday
  • They have a goal scorer, we don't.

And with no Aneke or Doughty, even fewer chances will be created.

0.1 (pen 92mins)