Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Saturday 31st October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Portsmouth v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 31st October 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire)

Introduction
Tuesday night saw a Charlton team making a potential statement of intent... Whilst Oxford United havent exactly had the fastest of starts to their League One campaign they are a team that should be competing for a Play-Off place this season, despite going down to ten men, the Addicks were rarely threatened as they kept up their impressive run in October which will surely see Lee Bowyer amongst the nominations for Manager of the Month!! - This Saturday we travel down to the South Coast for what'll be an even sterner test; Portsmouth the side that await, is this a Charlton side pushing for another League One title or one that'll have to settle for the Play-Offs... 5pm wont confirm regardless of the result, but it'll give a good indication

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth (5th) | Manager: Kenny Jackett
Ground: Fratton Park
Previous Result: Portsmouth 4-0 Northampton Town

Two years ago and Portsmouth were the team to beat, they start their season on the crest of a wave, they'd lost just three games in 2018 and were leading the way with everyone else in their wake... and then they hit January!! - A run of poor form (helped by the fact that Ben Thompson was recalled to Millwall) and after being winless in eight could all but kiss goodbye to their hopes of automatic promotion. Pompey would of course stop the slide and would enter the Play-Offs, not a good place to be for a team that have never reached a Play-Off Final, a fact that only hit home even when they'd lose to Oxford United at the same stage last season!!

Fast forward to the present and Portsmouth are still struggling to return to the Championship... Struggle is perhaps the wrong word when you consider the journey they've been on, especially when you compare them to the likes of Sheffield United and Leeds who primarily ended up down at this level thanks to a lack of performances rather than ownership issues - This season though and it looks certain to be another year within the top six at the very least. A slow start (which would see Kenny Jackett's side earning just two points in the first three games) has been corrected and an impressive 3-1 win at the Stadium of Light proved what this side is possible of, especially as Sunderland at the time had the best defensive record in the league, a record now owned by Charlton and Lincoln... Gulp!!

On the player front and whilst much has been made about Charlton's lack of a clinical Striker you can argue that Portsmouth have two at present, both Marcus Harness (more of a winger) and John Marquis (remember him!!) are on five goals for the season, the latter like Doncaster a few weeks ago will surely want to put some ghosts to bed after his last encounter with the Addicks!!

Charlton Team News
Well we cant argue that Lee Bowyer hasnt created speculation with his team selections this season, nearly every week we get something new and this one will be no different; Ryan Inniss and Ben Watson will both miss this match due to suspension whilst Alfie Doughty is now absent for four months after suffering a hamstring injury against Northampton Town

So lets get down to the one big question this week... Who plays in defence? - Many will state that Darren Pratley will drop back into a flat four, its the most likely option but one that Bowyer may not opt for if it leaves his midfield over-ran... the other options involve the likes of Chris Gunter or Ben Purrington lining up in a 3-5-2, yet that could be an even bigger risk if its something the team have yet to work on. Lastly we've always got Charlie Barker who could also return to the team

Amos
Gunter | Pratley | Famewo | Maatsen
Forster-Caskey | Levitt
Shinnie
Smyth | Bogle | Washington

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Barker | Purrington | Morgan | Maddison | Aneke | Williams

Prediction
These are famous last words but at the end of the day Portsmouth are nothing special, they're a League One club like ourselves so despite missing two key players we should still be confident of being able to go to Fratton Park and get a result - Its been a happy venue under Lee Bowyer's reign and its a sad fact of the current situation that the fans wont be there to create another atmosphere... Whilst he's got an excellent 100% record against Kenny Jackett; Bowyer has never won five games on the spin, in that case, all odds point towards a draw... this is Charlton, nothing is ever that straight forward!!

Onwards and Upwards!!

Comments

• Options
    We do seem to have a hex over Pompey, which is strange really for us.

I just have a nagging feeling that Marquis will be a thorn in our side here.

0-2 to Pompey and we come away with no more injuries or suspentions. Then onto the rest.
  • Options
    Thinking Aneke will start in this one considering he has effectively only been out of the matchday 18 for 1 game. So him for Bogle.

Also Maddison likewise has only been away for a couple of games and been on the bench for the last 2. Really hoping the 'easing in' process isnt a classic Charlton 3 months style or something.
  • Options
    Great preview as always @ForeverAddickted

My early thoughts are a 1-1 draw. Both teams on a great run of form, and believe it’ll be an enjoyable game of football, especially compared to some of the classic league 1 football we’ve watched recently. 

A very intriguing encounter with two in form teams in last 5 games, one with a perfect defence and the other with an impressive 11 goals scored. 
  • Options
    Think we might slip up in this one. No Inniss or Watson is a huge loss. I’d be well pleased with a point, but think Portsmouth will win 2-0. 
  • Options
    Levitt is going to do this lot, no fear. Cultured 3-1 win 
  • Options
    Comfortable away win.

0-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Absolutely pasted 2-0 Pompey easy finishes, one of which for Marquis.

Caveat being if Bowyer goes really left field with his selection (like putting out all of Gunter, Matthews & Purrington) in some master plan to completely disrupt all supply to the middle and force their second striker/winger to go searching for the ball.
  • Options
    Would be happy with a draw but gut says Pompei will win by a couple of goals to nil
  • Options
    I can see a 1-1 in a fairly battling display - Marquis pops up first with a goal then we get an equaliser. Hopefully Maddison gets some gametime - team prediction:

Amos
    Gunter  Pratley  Famewo Maatsen
    JFC
    Smyth       Levitt
    Shinnie
    Bogle    Washington

• Options
    2-1 win Charlton. Aneke & JFC

Favourite away ground outside of London. Love going to Fratton Park. Proper football ground, quality atmosphere and they always give us the three points. Tomorrow would have been another great day down there. 

Watson and Innis will be a miss but I do think we have enough depth in the squad to cope without them. 

• Options
    This is an interesting game. On paper, Portsmouth are rivals for automatic promotion so it will be interesting how we will stack up against them. It isn't helpful that we have players out but we do have strength in depth now.
  • Options
    Great preview FA.

With all players available I would have predicted a narrow Charlton win - 1-0 or 2-1. But without Alfie, Inniss and Watson, and a question mark over the fitness of Chuks, I would bite your hand off for a point.

0-0 or a narrow loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A game of one or two goals. I think that means I can claim I could foresee the correct result whatever happens.
  • Options
    Chuks was fit enough to play if needed on Tuesday so should be fit enough to start tomorrow. I think we can still put out a strong side. I know some people are calling for Barker at centre back, but I'm not sure this is the right game for him. I think we need to go with Pratley there. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    the absence of Inniss and Watson will disrupt the team and certainly weaken the defence and the midfield organisation. I hope that Bowyer doesn't decide to pick a very defensive Xl . Pompey are in cracking form and I fancy us to get a point at most in what is potentially our toughest game for quite a while.

Portsmouth 2 v CAFC 2 

• Options
    I think this is a game for Williams to start. JFC, Williams and Shinnie for me as a midfield three.
  • Options
    I think this is a game for Williams to start. JFC, Williams and Shinnie for me as a midfield three.
    Yeah I think I agree actually, swap Levitt out in my side for Williams
  • Options
    Gutted that we’ve got the suspensions for this game but at least we are not forced to play the under 23s, so cheers again Tommy 🇩🇰 

Amos
    Gunter, Pratley, Famewo, Maatsen
    Levitt
    JFC, Williams
    Shinnie
    Aneke, Smyth

I can’t see Gunter as a CB, so Pratley gotta fill in there, midfield looks weak, so I think he will sacrifice a forward to beef it up a bit, Williams does graft when he has to so I think he will come in.  Big game for Levitt as he’s probably the one signing who hasn’t stepped up yet.  Smyth has gotta play for his work ethic.

Id take a draw, but I think this is where it ends I’m afraid, 2-1 Aneke with a consolation.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    With no Inniss, Watson and probably Matthews think we'll see a lot of juggling around and with no one being able to predict a Bowyer line up or formation something LSD induced like:

Amos
          Pratley Famewo Purrington
    Gunter                               Maatsen
                    Shinnie  JFC
                       Williams
               Washington  Bogle

Wold happily see an U23/Barker at CB though, play Pratley in Midfield and reckon we could easily come away with a point, less disruption to the shape and continuity.

Amos
    Gunter U23 Famewo Maatsen
        Shinnie Pratley JFC
    Washinton Bogle Smyth

Probably a 0-0 job
  • Options
    Pompey 1 Charlton 0
  • Options
    drab, dreary,  miserable defeat,  minimum attacking threat from us and a gentle reminder it won't be a stroll in the park for us to make the top 2