Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Saturday 31st October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Tough one to call. If we had Watson, Inniss and Doughty available then I’d back us all day long but as Pompey are flying and injuries/suspensions are building for us, I find it tough to predict this game. 

I’m hoping this is the game where Bowyer allows Maddison to start and get 60 minutes in the tank, he has to give him minutes at some point. Aneke could have come on Tuesday so he should be fine to get 60 minutes before his scheduled swap with Bogle. 

If we can maintain the same defensive rigour that’s been shown in previous games, I think we’ll have enough for all 3 points. 

So try a formation we haven't tried before with players out of position... and a player returning from injury starting against one of our tougher opponents so far... 

It's certainly brave.
  • Options
    Wish Marquis was playing for us tomorrow instead of them. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    With so many players out, we should approach this game with a safety first approach. We should not start with any of the semi-fit players, Aneke, Maddison or unreliable ones like Williams. We have to be as solid and defensively strong as possible and bring on the flair players to try and win it if we are still level at 65 minutes.
    So
                                                Amos
                       Matthews Gunter  Famewo Purrington
                        Shinnie  Pratley Foster-Caskey  Maatsen
                                        Bogle Washington

Smyth/Maddison /Aneke/ on if we can win it late

• Options
    Sorry to say, I don’t fancy us with this one.
  • Options
    See Barker had only five minutes for U-18s in midweek. Will LB throw him into the mix?
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    See Barker had only five minutes for U-18s in midweek. Will LB throw him into the mix?
    Probably on the bench, but on previous showings he comes across
    as a dependable defender, and has an eye for goal, so yes should
    be included in the squad
  • Options
    Just looked up the Portsmouth local weather for tomorrow, heavy rain forecast from 8am to 2pm.
    I've no idea what the drainage there is like, possible postponement?

My first reaction  was a postponement would be good for us, but  i think now be best to get it played asap.
  • Options
    I am surprised you left out Matthews FA, from the matchday squad, we have had two games at 1-0, two games at 2-0, now for two games at 3-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just checked. According to the BBC the heavy rain is between 1pm and 3pm, then light rain. Can't see it being called off. We can still put out a decent side and have a decent chance of a result.
  • Options
    someone please tell LB that the wind forecast is 21mph from the south west with gusts up to 37mph 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Tough one to call. If we had Watson, Inniss and Doughty available then I’d back us all day long but as Pompey are flying and injuries/suspensions are building for us, I find it tough to predict this game. 

I’m hoping this is the game where Bowyer allows Maddison to start and get 60 minutes in the tank, he has to give him minutes at some point. Aneke could have come on Tuesday so he should be fine to get 60 minutes before his scheduled swap with Bogle. 

If we can maintain the same defensive rigour that’s been shown in previous games, I think we’ll have enough for all 3 points. 

So try a formation we haven't tried before with players out of position... and a player returning from injury starting against one of our tougher opponents so far... 

It's certainly brave.
    Not sure if you’ve been watching much of Lee Bowyers Charlton but 3-5-2 has been the played plenty of times. I know footballers are stereotypically thick but I think they’ll be able to figure it out, especially as Bowyer has mentioned he’s signed players that are able to play in this specific formation. 

Which players are out of position? Pratley and Gunter? Bowyer has literally said they can play those roles no problem, although I would like to see them in their natural positions.
  • Options
    Talking about the weather tomorrow, if.....yes if we ever get to the Premier League, is it still compulsory to have underground heating, I mean ones that are connected to the pump. If so, would TS pay for this to be finished or RD?.........come to think of it, hopefully TS will have bought the ground and SL by then
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I have no worries about Pratley playing centre half. It is a shame we miss him in midfield seeing as Watson is suspended, but a midfield of say JFC, Shinnie and Williams is probably as good as what any other league one club could put out. And there would be the calibre of Maddison and Levitt to come on too. 
  • Options
    I think we will miss Inness more than Watson
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I think we will miss Inness more than Watson
    I think the combination of missing both at the same time makes it much more of an issue - If it was just Watson then the Back 4 is unaffected, and you just go with Pratley as the midfield grit, if it was just Inniss then you put Pratley at the back and Watson can do his normal job in front of the CBs, both means you lose that toughness in midfield OR you lose the experience at the back, both of which could lead to trouble for us
  • Options
    Three centre backs missing would stretch any side, thus I think we will struggle to keep another clean sheet. I think a more positive mindset will be the right approach tomorrow,  we have the players to scare opponents 
  • Options
    Out toughest game for a while.

Can we hold out without the monster?

Can we score against a decent team?

If I knew the answers to those questions, I’d be down the bookies in a flash.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Portsmouth play progressive football. (They lump it up front), but they are good at it and all players invariably pass the ball forward. They do make lots of chances. Cannon is their play maker and if we can play him out of the game it would be huge. 
    They like to press and move the backs up. The long game means that they concede possession quite a lot. Beating Northampton 4-0 they only had 48% possession.
    They will kill us if we just give possession away. 
    High press is energy sapping and no team can keep that up. It also leaves gaps.

A back three? In Bows we trust!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Real shame no fans can see this one. Think it will be tough and if we concede first I am not sure we will recover. Like to see Matthews start, very sad about Doughty. 2-0 to Portsmouth but the games are coming thick and fast and we will recover.
  • Options
    PWR. See the boys have travelled down tonight and a hotel stay I guess?

Is that usual for us?
  • Options

1905: The Preview Show | Portsmouth (a)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnEMGRScvCg
  • Options
    I really want that Grey hoodie that Olly is wearing... Not that exact one I might add though!!
  • Options
    Take a draw. Hope Chuks starts and also Maddison. If we win this to to make it 5 wins in a row, I think I will get carried away! 1-1. Maddison screamer from 25 yards. Come on Charlton!
  • Options
    Of the 18 in that line up in Dec 2018, 16 have gone, Lapslie is out on loan and Pearce is injured  :o
  • Options
    Our play has been less than the results suggest but that is the sign of a promotion run, winning good, bad, or ugly. 

I think we might surprise a few people with a win at Pompey and really begin to make others feel uncomfortable knowing we're playing then soon.  

Fitness is the key. Gotta stop picking up injuries. 
  • Options
    1-0 loss set piece header. Will miss Innis this game
  • Options
    Our play has been less than the results suggest but that is the sign of a promotion run, winning good, bad, or ugly. 

Unless it's last season ..... but i saw through that bluff but this is deffo different we're gonna be in the mix!
  • Options
    We have never looked anything more than above average League 1 hoofers with a good defence. 

Mad Frankis Innis is a big loss.

LB will play it very safe in his absence.