Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Post-match thread | Saturday 31st October 2020

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Starting to like Washington more and more every game, also think Bogle is a better option to start than Chuks who i think will always be more effective off the bench.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Watching the goal video again, Chuks should be declared illegal on a football pitch.

The Pompey defender marking totally unable to compete.

One of the pictures I saw at the weekend show both Chucks hands appear to be on the Pompey defender. Possibly it's just the angle from where the pic was taken or maybe it was a split second after he actually headed it so was on his way back down, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't in any way a foul but does show how difficult it can be for refs & linesmen.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how this side, especially our defence reacts when we do eventually go a goal down.

Expect some high pressing attacks from Gunter and Maatsen, with Innis throwing the kitchen sink at it when he's in the box.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Watching the goal video again, Chuks should be declared illegal on a football pitch.

The Pompey defender marking totally unable to compete.

One of the pictures I saw at the weekend show both Chucks hands appear to be on the Pompey defender. Possibly it's just the angle from where the pic was taken or maybe it was a split second after he actually headed it so was on his way back down, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't in any way a foul but does show how difficult it can be for refs & linesmen.
    He'd already played the ball and was on his way down from his leap. No unfair advantage sought.

• Options
    Clever little push on a defender before the ball came in. He really is making the transition to a number 9. Excellent header.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    We look like a promotion team.
    The only slight issue is the lack of an out and out goal scoring striker. But so many positives in this team.
    Pratley looks immense.
    Gunter and Matthews a class well above League 1.
    Shinnie looks like the type of centre mid we haven’t had for years. 
    Smyth, Washington and Innis all very good.
    If Chucks can stay fit then it could well be top two.

We do look like a promotion team at this point in time, but we know more than most that the hand of fate can change that at anytime. Three centre halves out of four injured at the moment and a chance that any of our loans can be recalled in January are two examples that we know about now, but anything can happen to derail our charge up the league.

Be grateful that we actually have a team and are not in a relegation battle. The playoff places are a stretching but achievable target.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    The only slight issue is the lack of an out and out goal scoring striker. But so many positives in this team.
    Pratley looks immense.

We do look like a promotion team at this point in time, but we know more than most that the hand of fate can change that at anytime. Three centre halves out of four injured at the moment and a chance that any of our loans can be recalled in January are two examples that we know about now, but anything can happen to derail our charge up the league.

Be grateful that we actually have a team and are not in a relegation battle. The playoff places are a stretching but achievable target.

That’s my worry but would hope that, if we need them, Thomas may put in a bid to buy. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Pratley looks immense.

That’s my worry but would hope that, if we need them, Thomas may put in a bid to buy. 

No chance with Maatsen but Shinnie possibly if Jones didn't want him in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Pratley looks immense.

If having one of the best squads, if not the best means coming 6th is a stretching target, I totally disagree. Bowyer is doing the business so no critique of him, but maybe a bit of faith that 7th would be a totally unacceptable outcome. It is also, I may stress, an unlikely outcome.

We do have the opportunity to lose one or two in January, but also the same opportunity to bring more in and strengthen further overall. A bit more faith in our recruitment is needed too. There is nothing wrong with expecting promotion in League One.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Pratley looks immense.

Shinnie - out of contract at the end of the season, so would seem unlikely unless Luton really slump
    Maatsen - unlikely, Chelsea will be happy for him to have a full season in L1 in a "big" club
    Famewo - I would expect him to be recalled
    Smyth - I don't think QPR/Warburton rate him so unlikely
    Levitt - not bothered

So only 1 is likely to be recalled. 

The playoffs are a minimum target with the squad we have and the potential to strengthen in January
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Pratley looks immense.

No chance with Maatsen but Shinnie possibly if Jones didn't want him in the Championship.
    It did sound like a goodbye that speech he gave about him. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Clever little push on a defender before the ball came in. He really is making the transition to a number 9. Excellent header.
    I think that the defender just tried his luck a backing into him and
    came up against the brick wall and just bounced off, as you say an
    excellent header, but no foul just holding his ground. ;)
  • Options
    If the Millwall away winner against us last season was legal, Aneke's goal was about as legal as you can get. 
  • Options
    If the Millwall away winner against us last season was legal, Aneke's goal was about as legal as you can get. 
    You mean the child getting a piggy back off Sarr?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Pratley looks immense.

Playoffs should be the minimum expectation and the aim should be top two. I’d have said that before tonight. It should always be our aim when playing at this level.

We won’t keep this form up all season of course but I don’t see how finishing 6th is a stretching target?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Pratley looks immense.

Playoffs should be the minimum expectation and the aim should be top two. I’d have said that before tonight. It should always be our aim when playing at this level.

We won’t keep this form up all season of course but I don’t see how finishing 6th is a stretching target?
    Agreed, we're a big fish in this league, and with an excellent and now experienced management team and a good squad, top 6 is the minimum target

After all Bowyer has already got us twice into the playoffs under Roland